lund 1875 renegade help

I purchased a new 2018 renegade this spring. I sold my skeeter zx 20 and wanted to down scale a bit. The problem im having is once you get out of the hole and start to plane out right around 35 to 40 mph the front of the boat wants to bounce up and down like crazy and you have to back it down or trim down. Im running the 115 pro xs merc the prop is a ss merc 4 blade spitfire x7 12.7 x 19. I contacted my dealer and they spoke with lund thinking they put the wrong prop on it but advised me that was the correct one. Any suggestionscanyone else having same issues. I was wondering if I should send the prop to mark and see if there is something he could do. Boat is stored for the winter now.

2. Member
    What is your prop to "pad" measurement? Might be too deep. Also what are your wide open throttle rpms and top speed?

Call Mark for sure.

You might need a 3 blade prop, with cup. To carry the bow. The X7 is a stern lifting prop. So it needs to run high, and more level on top of the water hull. So less trim and more height is important.

I haven’t had any experience with your hull at all. So I can’t say how Lund thinks a bout the setup. But they do sale the boat with the X7 a lot as to there testing.

You like a lot of us here has to go through the flip in mindset. From glass to aluminum hull setup. In some cases it’s totally opposite from what you’ve known for your glass rigs.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 12-31-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    You don't think you're just over trimming the motor? Aluminium mod v hulls don't typically get out of the water as much as a glass pad hull. The Lund has a bit of a pad I believe, but I'm sure you can over trim it for the throttle setting.

5. Banned
    He should be able to get more than 40 out of the 115 before porpoising

6. Member
    i will have to double check in the spring I just remeber i wasnt able to get it wide open it was to hard to control. I can tack off get on plane and run good but the minute I start to trim she gets to bucking like a bronco. There is no jack plate on the boat and the motor is mounted on the first hole there are five holes so the motor can come up if needed. That is how it came rigged but if i can I will try to get some numbers in the spring or if we get a warm day. Just a little diffrent coming out of my skeeter to a tin boat but love it so far just gotta get the bugs worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick1988 View Post
    i will have to double check in the spring I just remeber i wasnt able to get it wide open it was to hard to control. I can tack off get on plane and run good but the minute I start to trim she gets to bucking like a bronco. There is no jack plate on the boat and the motor is mounted on the first hole there are five holes so the motor can come up if needed. That is how it came rigged but if i can I will try to get some numbers in the spring or if we get a warm day. Just a little diffrent coming out of my skeeter to a tin boat but love it so far just gotta get the bugs worked out.
    I have to agree with Alanhore and GatorGlenn. The X7 being a 4 blade prop which prefers to run higher in the water on the back of your boat. I believe right now you need to raise your motor to the third hole as a starting point. On your boat you should at least be getting 45mph if not closer to 50. The Ranger RT 188 owners who have the standard 115 4 stroke were getting 49 to 52 mph. With the hulls being similar I would say that you should be getting the same kind of numbers on your top end with the X7. Based on past conversations here in the forum they had their motors mounted in the third hole. So try moving the motor up and see what happens.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

8. Member
    Ok great thanks for the help. I will contact my dealer see if he can raise that for me. Like i mentioned the motor is in the first hole lowest motor can be. I will see if they can raise it to the third hole and go from there to see if that helps that porpoising.

9. Member
    I helped do the prop testing on that boat/engine for Lund and Mercury in 2016. Your engine "all the way down" ...is set at the right height, from what we saw...for an ALUMINUM prop. . Merc lengthened the shaft on the new (current)models of Mercury 90 and 115 and we were "blowing out" w/ aluminum props when the engine was mounted up a hole.... So, we lowered the engine to make the aluminum prop stay in the water better.... ~~~*Then we tried a SS spitfire 19 ***with the 19 SS Spitfire (4 Blade) we were able to raise the engine back up one hole and still stay "hooked up". We tried several props, but, the prop you have was the best performing prop for us --by quite a bit, actually. We did find the best trimming method was to let the boat flatten out and get up to about 4500 them trim up with short jabs, rather than a steady. You should be hitting right around 6000 rpm at WOT. With the shaft being longer (1-1/2" ) or so.... it complicated things. With an aluminum prop... all the way down was necessary... but with the engine up a hole..then put the SS Spitfire 19... It came alive. Try it.

10. Member
    If you are in the lowest hole then you are to deep for sure I would move it up a couple holes and go recheck it again. This should make a big difference. This hull wont lift and ride like your old Skeeter, but should do about 48 to 50 mph and still ride well. Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

11. Member
    ok great thanks for all the info will play around a bit and see but love the boat so far.

12. Member
    I own a Crestliner, but looked at the Lunds last summer when a buddy of mine was buying his new boat. He was not buying a Lund, but I think he should have. They look like a very nice boat.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    I have to agree with Alanhore and GatorGlenn. The X7 being a 4 blade prop which prefers to run higher in the water on the back of your boat. I believe right now you need to raise your motor to the third hole as a starting point. On your boat you should at least be getting 45mph if not closer to 50. The Ranger RT 188 owners who have the standard 115 4 stroke were getting 49 to 52 mph. With the hulls being similar I would say that you should be getting the same kind of numbers on your top end with the X7. Based on past conversations here in the forum they had their motors mounted in the third hole. So try moving the motor up and see what happens.
    I don't think most rt owners are getting 49-52, especially without a jack plate. I would say most I have talked to are more in the 43-47 range depending on motor brand and aluminum or stainless prop. The boats going 50 almost all have the jack plate and SS prop and have some set up time on them. I wonder what the hull weight is on the Lund vs the RT? Low 40's could be it or possibly mid 40s if that boat is heavier...
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

14. Member
    40 mph was about where i stop for being able to control it. I didnt have it wot or trimmed up all the way due to the bounce. I have appt next week weather depending to get it moved up one hole and will go from there if the weather is good and no ice on the water.

15. Member
    I’ll chime in. I just got a 1875 Renegade this year with 115hp ProXs. I have a atlas 4’’ setback still running aluminum spitfire 19p. With an Ultrex on the bow. I know exactly what you’re talking about when it comes to the bounce. So with the bounce comes from trimming up too fast. I run my jackplate all the way down, then bring it up 1/2 inch. So that puts me around one hole above the recommended mounting position.. if I run it any higher I blow the prop out and loose traction. So when you take off gradually give it power until you’re at wot trimmed all the way down and rpm should be at 4500-5000 at this point start trim up and she’ll take off. My top speed was 51.2mph

16. Member
    ok great will do some playing around and see how it goes other than that its a great boat