Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery Question/which is good?

Boat come with a 24 Deka. Swapped it out with a Cabela’s AGM 30. It has lasted about 5 months. It will only last about 6 hours then I have to him it.
    2019 G3 boat
    150 Yamaha sho
    2 x 10’ Talons
    humminbird Helix 10 and a 12 with a 360 on it running an aerator, sometime lights. I fish crappie tournaments and can’t be having this happen.
    im sure it’s a bad battery, but what all batteries is everyone running or have good luck with?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    X2 power 31 is an awesome battery
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    I have the X2 as my cranking battery and it has been excellent so far.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

4. Member
    That is a $400.00 battery!!! I need to get a second job to buy batteries like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    That is a $400.00 battery!!! I need to get a second job to buy batteries like that!
    This may be a cheaper alternative for you... https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7234

This is what many of my friends and I use w/o any trouble.... Compare specs, price and local availability.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Is that NAPA battery a deep cycle? $400 battery doesn’t bother me as long as it last through a tournament

7. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    X2 power 31 is an awesome battery
    I've had this one in mine for a year now and zero complaints so far.

8. Member
    might look into 2 cranking batteries? don't want a deep cycle for cranking. maybe a dual purpose
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    might look into 2 cranking batteries? don't want a deep cycle for cranking. maybe a dual purpose
    LOL did you look at the specs??

10. Member
    Is it possible the battery is not getting charged properly ?

Quote Originally Posted by ericmillsaps View Post
    Is that NAPA battery a deep cycle? $400 battery doesn’t bother me as long as it last through a tournament
    Its a cranking battery that seems to be good enough for semi's, bulldozers, Busses, Tractors, Farm equipment, and BASS BOATS...

Last edited by 21XDC; 12-31-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I went with the sams club agm, seems to work well. With all you are running on yours, and I doubt cranking the motor much, I'd look at buying one for accessories and one for cranking.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

That Cabelas battery should have lasted longer. Do you have a NEMA network on your boat and is it switched? Do you charge the cranking battery at home along with your TM batteries? Could the Helix and 360 still be drawing power?

$400 is not awful for what the requirments are these days.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

These motors require more and more cranking amps and al the electronics and electical accessories being ran off the cranking battery anymore gonna see more and more batteries like this. If it performs then its worth it dead battery is never fun.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmillsaps View Post
    If 400 dollars is not an issue for you, then go with that Northstar/Batteries Plus X2. It is probably the best AGM around right now, and an excellent warranty. Just be sure that your charger is also a high quality AGM charger, or, it won't charge it properly and you won't get full life span.

I remember a thread awhile back regarding that Cabelas's AGM 30 that you are having an issue with. Nobody could get any really solid information on the manufacturer, and it was likely that it was a poor quality battery made somewhere in China.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Do you have a jumper switch to jump to a trolling motor battery when the cranker won't cut it? That said, there are some good suggestions here for a good group 31 that "should" hold up.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

17. Rich Purington
    The X2 Power and the NorthStar NSB-AGM31M are great batteries. They are the same as the discontinued Sears PM-1.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    LOL did you look at the specs??

wasnt replying to you post, your battery looks correct and good for the intended us
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    My x2 crapped out after 15 months,they replaced no problems thou

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    There is a reason why a 5 month old battery failed. Until I found out that reason I would not spend another dime on a new battery. It could be many things but the first thing I would do is make sure there is no parasitic amp draw when the battery is not in use. If it has a light parasitic amp draw when not in use the battery is starting out the day already weak. Then I would make sure I charge the cranking battery after every use. Also confirm that your battery charger is compatible to charge an AGM battery. Most battery chargers made in the last several years can sense a lead acid battery from a AGM battery and apply the appropriate charge profile. Just because a battery charger is capable of charging at X amount of amps does not mean it applies all the amps at once until the battery is fully charged. A good battery charger applies the charge in stages varying the amps with the peak amps applied being the max amps its rated for. The "stages" it apples the amps to a lead acid battery is different from an AGM battery. It might charge an AGM battery but if it does not have the correct charge profile it will shorten the battery life charging it like a lead acid battery. Then I would take the battery and get it load tested. If it has something internal wrong a load test will confirm this. It might just happen to be you got a bad battery but I would still want to know the exact reason a 5 month old battery failed.

Based on what you say you run for accessories I would want a battery with a minimum of 200 minutes reserve run time. For a cranking battery I also prefer 1000 cranking amps. Northstar, Odyssey and Deka all make a high quality battery that meets the specifications you need to run that many accessories and still have power to crank the motor. Be prepared to spend north of $250 and all the way up to $400 to get a high quality AGM that has the specifications to meet your needs. Remember B.O.A.T. is not a word...is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand...but before I spent another dime I would find the root cause as to why a 5 month old battery failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast