Ol Brown Fish @ Laurel

What's them ol Brown fish doing at Laurel right now? Heading down in the am
    Bullet 20 XRD / 225 Merc Sport XS

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    Hahaha 179 views and no one chimes in? Reckon everyone is a tournament angler say hahaha! For what it's worth, I only had 3 fish today. 1 4lb green head and a couple chunky spots. Tough day

getting reports for Laurel has always been tough.
    Ranger Forever

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Yeah, the guys that know Laurel well keep their mouths shut which is a good idea on their part. That lake has some giant smallies in it and the guys who have "unlocked" that lake have spent a ton of time, money and sweat out on the water figuring out how to catch em'. It's known to be a very tough lake to fish. I've made the mistake in the past of sharing info with so called "buddies" only to have them exclusively fish the stuff I've shown them with only the baits I've taught them...

Heck, one of the "buddies" even made comments like "Why go fish anywhere else and not catch anything" and "I have kids and don't have the time to be out on the water like you do" (So just because I don't have kids, my time is "less valuable" than yours?!?!? I do have a kid now by the way). One of the "buddies" also told a mutual fishing buddy while they were at Dale that "This spot we're going to next isn't a Brad spot" when in fact it was a waypoint I had given to him!!!! Never again will I make that mistake....

General info like water temp, clarity, etc is about as far as I'll go nowadays. I've got burnt in the past showing exact spots/waypoints and baits. I'm way more cautious now to whom I share my fishing success with and who I take with me to the lakes I have "figured out"/"unlocked".

Sorry to hijack the thread and go on my rant about the couple googans that burnt me, but at least you caught some! I've been humbled at Laurel before! It's a beautiful lake and I think the potential for a true trophy 7lb+ smallie in KY is the best at Laurel.

Quote Originally Posted by TivisMinton View Post
    Hahaha 179 views and no one chimes in? Reckon everyone is a tournament angler say hahaha! For what it's worth, I only had 3 fish today. 1 4lb green head and a couple chunky spots. Tough day
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    getting reports for Laurel has always been tough.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    Yeah, the guys that know Laurel well keep their mouths shut which is a good idea on their part. That lake has some giant smallies in it and the guys who have "unlocked" that lake have spent a ton of time, money and sweat out on the water figuring out how to catch em'. It's known to be a very tough lake to fish. I've made the mistake in the past of sharing info with so called "buddies" only to have them exclusively fish the stuff I've shown them with only the baits I've taught them...

Heck, one of the "buddies" even made comments like "Why go fish anywhere else and not catch anything" and "I have kids and don't have the time to be out on the water like you do" (So just because I don't have kids, my time is "less valuable" than yours?!?!? I do have a kid now by the way). One of the "buddies" also told a mutual fishing buddy while they were at Dale that "This spot we're going to next isn't a Brad spot" when in fact it was a waypoint I had given to him!!!! Never again will I make that mistake....

General info like water temp, clarity, etc is about as far as I'll go nowadays. I've got burnt in the past showing exact spots/waypoints and baits. I'm way more cautious now to whom I share my fishing success with and who I take with me to the lakes I have "figured out"/"unlocked".

Sorry to hijack the thread and go on my rant about the couple googans that burnt me, but at least you caught some! I've been humbled at Laurel before! It's a beautiful lake and I think the potential for a true trophy 7lb+ smallie in KY is the best at Laurel.
    Don't really understand what you mean by getting "burnt". If I share info with someone and they catch fish because I stirred them in the right direction to me that's one of the most rewarding aspects of our sport. If you are a die hard tournament angler I get it but there is still info that can be shared without giving up your winning spot or secret lure. I am all for earning what you learn on a body of water. Sharing that info and passing on what you have learned is just returning the favor. Guarantee some time in the past someone helped everyone in many ways. Never have understood the fellas that won't share anything. Typically they are the ones that fish for info themselves. To each his own I reckon

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Getting burnt as in they would only fish the lakes I've taught them with the lures I've taught them and never "put in any work" themselves.

Getting burnt as in me sharing very specific info and them being successful with that info and then making comments like "why go anywhere else and not catch anything" (zero willingness to "put in work" themselves) and "I have kids and don't have time to get out on the water like you" (again, a comment implying my time is less valuable than his and him wanting to just copy my success instead of "putting in the work" himself).

Getting burnt as in me giving waypoints and teaching lures to a guy at Dale Hollow, then him taking a mutual fishing friend of ours there and him saying "This isn't a "Brad spot" we're going to next" when in fact it was after I showed the mutual friend the waypoints I had shared with the cocky, arrogant one. The same cocky, arrogant one took his father to another lake I taught him and made several asinine comments to his dad insinuating that he discovered that lake and those lures I taught him himself.

I'm all about helping guys out...... I've helped a few people catch their PB's and taken guys to lakes where they've had the best fishing experience to date as far as numbers and size. I do get satisfaction knowing that I helped them achieve that goal. Those guys were/are appreciative. Those guys I have shared info with since then are guys that "put in work" themselves by fishing other lakes and other lures besides the ones I've shown them and don't just copy everything I do. I use the "getting burnt" term for those leeches/parasites who are just looking for info on a silver platter and not willing to put in any work themselves.

You mentioned "returning the favor", yeah I do that to guys who give good info. It's the guys who are using me for my info and not reciprocating info are the ones I'm talking about. The one's that take, take, take and never give.....

I can give you those two guys names and numbers, you can share your juice with them and then you'll see what I mean......

Quote Originally Posted by TivisMinton View Post
    Don't really understand what you mean by getting "burnt". If I share info with someone and they catch fish because I stirred them in the right direction to me that's one of the most rewarding aspects of our sport. If you are a die hard tournament angler I get it but there is still info that can be shared without giving up your winning spot or secret lure. I am all for earning what you learn on a body of water. Sharing that info and passing on what you have learned is just returning the favor. Guarantee some time in the past someone helped everyone in many ways. Never have understood the fellas that won't share anything. Typically they are the ones that fish for info themselves. To each his own I reckon
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 01-03-2019 at 05:25 AM.

8. Member
    Laurel is a tough joint.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    It's a beautiful lake and I think the potential for a true trophy 7lb+ smallie in KY is the best at Laurel.
    Caught a 7.2lbs outa Laurel back in the mid-90's, early spring club tournament... Had her weight at a small local grocery store in town... She still swimming... Dan

10. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Awesome! Good for you for cutting her loose...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Caught a 7.2lbs outa Laurel back in the mid-90's, early spring club tournament... Had her weight at a small local grocery store in town... She still swimming... Dan