Different winch question

My garage doors are narrow, my truck is long and space to get it backed in is tight (two trees in front of the garage). When I was in the AF we winched fighter planes backwards into the shelters. Has anyone ever see something similar for a boat. Thinking of mounting a 120V winch to the garage floor and using this to back it in.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...lly-60533.html
    What say you.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Would certainly work. If you used a V cable on the back anchored where the transom straps anchor, you could probably steer with the tongue pretty easily.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    An old fishing bud of mine had a situation similar to the one you describe and did exactly what you're proposing. If you can get the boat started fairly straight, you may not need the dolly.

Should also mention, he was maneuvering a 196 Champion on a tandem trailer. This is not a light weight rig. It was going up a slight incline and into a standard garage door opening on top of that. It was a major operation every time he went to the lake. If you're on fairly level pavement, I would sure look into one of the electric dollies below. Looks like that would be a lot simpler solution and cheaper as well.
    Last edited by jbh3; 12-28-2018 at 03:30 PM.

4. Member
    I wouldn't use the one from Harbor Freight. I bought one and it was not sturdy enough.
    Go on the Northern Tools website and order theirs. It's about $150.
    I can push my RT188 with it.

The option you mention will work but sounds like a lot of work. Check Craigs List for something like this -

There are other electric dollies out there but they're expensive. Google - Trailer Dolly
    https://parkit360.ca/collections/for...y-base-version

These guys have electric and manual - Their 5X model is $500
    https://trailervalet.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TX721; 12-28-2018 at 02:29 PM.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

6. Banned
    You could always put a hitch on the front of your truck. Might make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    You could always put a hitch on the front of your truck. Might make it easier.
    Great point. I do this sometimes.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

8. Member
    I have about 2" clearance on each side through my gate and a slight angle just after getting through. Wall tight on one side approaching the gate and a basketball hoop on the other side. I put a hitch on the front of my truck so I could angle around which worked but a pain un-hitching and re-hitching each time. I just got better at backing in.

9. Member
    Cut those two trees down.

10. Member
    I use the harbor freight dolly to move my boat into my shelter but hit a slight grade before I get the boat completely in the shelter, yes they are cheaply made. The last 7-10 feet I use a electric winch with a hand crank option and sometimes I just use the crank. Now my boat is aluminum with a 75 hp motor and single axle so maybe around 2000 pounds. When the wife is around we can just use the hand dolly and move the boat easily into the shelter or garage. With the dual axle and tight garage the boat would need to be aligned almost perfect to get it in with the winch alone but the combination with the dolly might work and help get it lined up. I would cut the trees down it is very easy to slip and loose your balance while walking backwards pulling a boat with a dolly been there.