a quick wet sanding question

i really could not find an answer on this,but my 2006 ranger is starting to become oxidized,buffing with compound doesn't seem to bring it back,so im gonna wet sand it,my question is when I am wet sanding and the milky substance is coming up,(that should be the oxidation)do I sand until it runs clear,can i hurt it trying to get it to run clear,thanks in advance

I did the top cap on my boat just after I got it because it was oxidized really bad.
    as your sanding run your other hand over where you just sanded you can feel that its getting smooth again. do a small area that dosent have much stuff in the way so it makes it a bit easier to get used to.
    I started with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 each time you take a bit more off. once you get it buffed and polished back up you can really see the difference.

3. Member
    keep in mind also that they are different grit buffing compounds that IMHO should be tried before you wet sand. I would try a really heavy cut buffing compound and go from there20181223_203009resize.jpg20181223_204755resize.jpg
    I dont know how oxidized it is. 20181216_171545resize.jpg Just a small section of my boat. it was pretty bad and rough to the touch but after a 20181223_202127resize.jpg buff with this it is a med. grit buffing compound it shined like a new one. couple places needed it 2 times though. Just some food for thought i am no expert by no means.

Quote Originally Posted by ammot23 View Post
    i really could not find an answer on this,but my 2006 ranger is starting to become oxidized,buffing with compound doesn't seem to bring it back,so im gonna wet sand it,my question is when I am wet sanding and the milky substance is coming up,(that should be the oxidation)do I sand until it runs clear,can i hurt it trying to get it to run clear,thanks in advance
    There is not a yes or no answer to your question. Hard to give you good sound advice without pics of at least the worst areas of your boat.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ammot23 View Post
    As others said start with the least aggressive grit that will give you the result your looking for, I started with 800 as mine was pretty bad. Then just step down till you get to 2000, I like a random orbital sander with 3/16 action. Just go slow dont over sand. The milky slurry is the clear gel coat and normal. You DON'T want to sand through that or you'll be reclearing! Good luck

6. Member
    so the milky slurry is the actual gel?? not the oxidation,thanks

It’s the oxidized gel....No one can give you “good” advice about your boat without at least seeing pics. I sand on approximately 75 boats of all types a year. All are different. I don’t start sanding all boats with 800 or with 1000 or whatever else is being advised. I’m not saying the advice is wrong. I’m saying if you don’t have experience and we haven’t see pics it’s hard to make real suggestions you can bank on.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com