Question One Talon at a time

Looking to put 8ft talons on my boat but will probably split up when i buy each one. My question is- is it any harder to put the 2nd one on at a later date? Also, is there a preferred side to put just 1 on? I mostly see them starboard side but wasnt sure of the logic behind that. thx

2. Banned
    It's no harder to install a second one.
    I see singles almost always on the port side; the weight on the port side balances off the driver's weight when alone in the boat.
    That being said, my single Talon is on the starboard side because I didn't want to remove the boarding ladder on the port side.

3. Member
    One at a time is fine. Either side will work but I would put it on the passenger side to offset the drivers weight

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RevoElite7 View Post
    Looking to put 8ft talons on my boat but will probably split up when i buy each one. My question is- is it any harder to put the 2nd one on at a later date? Also, is there a preferred side to put just 1 on? I mostly see them starboard side but wasnt sure of the logic behind that. thx
    Im sure Bassman25 will be along to help and can offer you the best customer service and price.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by RevoElite7 View Post
    All valid questions, I have personally bought one before and installed it on my boat to later buy another one. get the money as you go type deal. Its perfectly fine to do this, with my new boat, I am going to only buy one 10' talon on the passenger side because I will have an ultrex. I use my talons to loan and unload the boat mainly but its also nice to have when fishing on a shallow point or bed fishing.

One thing that will drive you nuts is that if you dont have an ultrex or spot lock, your boat will tend to spin side to side as the waves move you around with a single talon. If you want a good strong stay put feeling, then two is necessary. The install is a breeze, especially an 8' model.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    All valid questions, I have personally bought one before and installed it on my boat to later buy another one. get the money as you go type deal. Its perfectly fine to do this, with my new boat, I am going to only buy one 10' talon on the passenger side because I will have an ultrex. I use my talons to loan and unload the boat mainly but its also nice to have when fishing on a shallow point or bed fishing.

One thing that will drive you nuts is that if you dont have an ultrex or spot lock, your boat will tend to spin side to side as the waves move you around with a single talon. If you want a good strong stay put feeling, then two is necessary. The install is a breeze, especially an 8' model.
    great advice!

7. Member
    I can assure you I will be purchasing a port side talon due to my boat being so light. I have a 17ft G3 aluminum boat. With just me sitting in my boat alone it leans to the side. I am hoping the added talon will offset the weight a little.

The second one will be easier to mount because you already learned how to do it the first time and it's not that hard either time. If only one Talon most people put them on the port side so they act as a counter weight if your fishing without a partner. I have been on a boat with only one shallow water anchor and I can assure you it will sipn in the wind. It doesn't matter which brand you use one will spin. However one is a lot better than none and two is ten times better than one. They are a great tool to have if you often fish shallow. I tell people having two talons is like having a pause button on my boat.

9. Banned
    One is better than none, and I won't pay to have two. Unless the wind is swirling, the boat will rotate to a position and then stay there. I've dropped the Talon, and then ending up casting from the back deck.

Thanks for the info guys.. I think my question got a little misconstrued throughout the thread. I've had 1 pole before. Im aware that the boat will spin . the goal is to get 2. Im just buying as I can.

RevoElite, when you install the first one think a little about the wiring... Your boat may have a power connection terminal with a shut off switch that you can wire directly to, or it may not. If it doesn't I strongly recommend installing a disconnect switch ($15-$20) so you can cut power to the talon(s) when trailering or during storage. Also, if you plan on drilling a hole somewhere in the splash well area of your boat for the wires to go through, make sure you drill it big enough for the second talon later.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    One at a time is fine. Either side will work but I would put it on the passenger side to offset the drivers weight
    I put mine on the port side because I didn't want to have to cast over it when fishing the backmine is a 12 foot. To me I thing an 8 footer is pretty limited because you only get 7'5" of travel