Thread: Sluggo

Sluggo

Locally, in the Ozark, there is a pretty good jerk bait bite going on. Does anyone still use Sluggos? I used them up north plenty but usually around weeds. I have not heard the name mentioned in years. I'm wondering if a split shot would get them down where I need to be, 8-10 now. Anyone still thrown' em?'

2. Member
    They will still work. They were the original soft jerkbait. But there are just better options now.

3. Member
    Found a bag of pink ones this spring and caught some on it.
    Red Sox in 6!

4. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:44 AM.

5. Member
    Caught many bass when we lived in Florida on them around grass. Now Zoom Super Fluke with/without a belly-weighted hook has replaced mine

6. Member
    ive caught some big fish on the 9" trout one!!

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I remember those! In pink, spring time in Florida, they were like magic when they first came out! I think most have moved on from them, I know I have, but if you like them then you’re throwing something a lot of others aren’t and that’s a good thing.

Id see how they react to a belly weighted hook, or a split shot like you mentioned.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Haven’t thrown one for years. Always liked a super fluke way better when they came out and then liked the Gander Mountain version even better. When they went out of business I was all bummed until I figured out that the Gander ones were made by Big Bite Baits. Sluggos are a lot more subtle, maybe worth trying again.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    They were big at one time don't hear too much about them now.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Haven’t thrown one for years. Always liked a super fluke way better when they came out and then liked the Gander Mountain version even better. When they went out of business I was all bummed until I figured out that the Gander ones were made by Big Bite Baits. Sluggos are a lot more subtle, maybe worth trying again.
    Curious what about their fluke you like better? I might have to try some. Been using Zoom for years and Bass Assassin also

Quote Originally Posted by deadadrift89 View Post
    Curious what about their fluke you like better? I might have to try some. Been using Zoom for years and Bass Assassin also
    It’s a little bigger which is sort of whatever, but it’s way more dense so it sinks quite a bit quicker than others. I suppose it must have more salt in it. This also means you can cast it further.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

The company is not out of business

https://lunkercity.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ...SAAEgLO__D_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by lightningmusky View Post
    Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my first post. I meant Gander Mountain went out of business.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

14. Member
    They were my #1 bait in the early 90's and I still throw them occaisionally. Try the Owner 3/32 weighted hook to get them down deeper but I think they work best weightless.

Allen

15. Member
    Sluggos were my go to bait in my early days of fishin'! I'd rig it weedless and pull across pads for some top water action, jerk it like a fluke before I discovered flukes, and let it sink weightless before I even knew what a senko was. Trout color was my favorite!

16. Scraps
    Lunker City has withstood the test of time here in the NE. Always had some good baits, good quality, and cool marketing. I think they're one of those companies that doesn't spend a ton on advertising.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD