From the - You got it, another trailer thread!- Thread

If some of you followed the “You got it, another trailer thread”, I had just replace a couple of rear seals on my rear axle, replaced the brake pads and bled the lines but forgot the red RTV. Well after a 70 mile round trip to the lake one seal is leaking.
    Question-
    Can I reuse the seal - it hasn't been removed from the hub? And can I clean the grease off the brake pads and reuse? Just curious. I plan on new brake pads and a new seal. Just wondering if they could be reused?
    Last edited by TX721; 12-31-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: to eliminate confusion

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Cannot remove the seal without damaging it, will need new ones. The pads and hub can be cleaned with brake cleaner.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Cannot remove the seal without damaging it, will need new ones. The pads and hub can be cleaned with brake cleaner.
    (the original thread was in the Phoenix forum...)
    That's what I'll do.

Thanks

4. Banned
    Are you sure its leaking from the od. of the seal.? Highly unlikely, they are a press fit.

No. It’s leaking from the ID. The wear ring is worn. Initially didn’t understand where the RTV went. Replaced the seal with OEM UFP seal and the OEM seal has a coating on it which with eliminates the RTV requirement (per UFP maitenance manual).
    See this thread. I posted this follow up in the wrong forum. I posted Photos of the worn spindle sleeve there.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=950359
    Last edited by TX721; 12-31-2018 at 06:44 PM.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

6. Member
    Sounds like he replaced the wear ring and didn't put sealant under it, it came off and some grease escaped. I was initially against reuse of the seal but it shouldn't be damaged if you put a little lube on it during the initial application UNLESS the wear ring came off the spindle during your trip. You say you have brake shoes. They're harder to work with than pads IMHO but work well and can actually not require a lockout solenoid if they are properly installed.

I'm willing to learn, don't chastise just constructive criticism please.

A little confusing as in op you refer to brake pads and brake shoes.
    If there brake pads on (disc brakes) cleaning is easy. I would not hesitate to clean and reuse.
    If the seal is not removed from the hub. Unless the lip was damaged during removal I would reuse it.
    If the seal was removed from the hub it will need replaced.
    If I'm reading this correctly the leak you had after replacing sleeve was between the sleeve and the spindle.. Not the seal ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    A little confusing as in op you refer to brake pads and brake shoes.
    Disc brakes - so pads...no shoes.
    If there brake pads on (disc brakes) cleaning is easy. I would not hesitate to clean and reuse.
    Done
    If the seal is not removed from the hub. Unless the lip was damaged during removal I would reuse it.
    Seal was not removed from the hub but will replace due to riding on the worn spindle sleeve.
    If the seal was removed from the hub it will need replaced.
    If I'm reading this correctly the leak you had after replacing sleeve was between the sleeve and the spindle.. Not the seal ?
    I haven't replaced the sleeve yet. I changed the seal due to the original leak. Now, getting into it a second time, I noticed that the spindle sleeve was worn, I missed that the first time. The spindle sleeve will be replaced along with the seal.
    Thanks for the help.

picture of the worn spindle sleeve. wish i would have paid attention to it the first time!
    Last edited by TX721; 12-31-2018 at 06:43 PM.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

hope it all works this time.