GLX vs. Champion Extreme HP

What wins as far as sensitivity is concerned and why? Thanks!

2. Member
    GLX in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    GLX in my hands.
    Yep.....the dobyns are better balanced though for the most part

4. Member
    Second all the above

5. Member
    Also comparing rods $100 apart. The dobyns is better balanced but imo lacks the crispness that a $300 rod should have, but having said that its plenty sensitive enough. I would recommend the megabass orochi if you are looking at those

6. Member
    never owned or used the GLX but I do own 2 NRX, and between the NRX and Extreme HP's I give the edge to the NRX by a hair. So if the GLX are not as sensitive as Extreme HP's then I would same they are the same.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

I used to have a lot of GLX rods and now mostly Extremes - they are very close but the Dobyns are better balanced as mentioned. The new Xtasy is real a treat if you want sensitivity, but like the NRX it is pricey.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

8. Member
    I actually got a great deal on an Xtasy 754C that I haven't had a chance to fish yet. How close is the Xtasy to the NRX?

I have both and for sensitivity give the nod to the GLX. However, if I didn't already have a bunch of the GLX rods I would move to the Dobyns as the extra sensitivity of the GLX to me is a moot point. The Dobyns just has that distinctive feel that I really like.

10. Member
    I have a couple GLX Rods and love them. The NRX’s as mentioned are much better. And the G Loomis Xpeditor Warrenty is a awesome and a piece of cake if they break for any reason. I can’t attest to Dobyns warrenty but the Extreme XP’s are nice too.

11. Banned
    Honestly I’d buy one of each make a decision and sell the other you will probably like the loomis better but they are sort of unbalanced and the reel seats kind of uncomfortable that being said I use glx for bottom contact and dobyns for all moving baits

12. Member
    Can't speak for the GLX but I couldn't be happier with the couple Extreme HP's I have.

Recently moved from Dobyns Extreme's to NRX/GLX so have some direct experience. NRX obviously are more sensitive, but balance horribly compared to Dobyns. I've got weight on every NRX grip I own :(. Partly due to split grips I guess, but Dobyns Split grips balance pretty good. GLX is a bit harder to say, I've got a few of the previous model full grip MBR's, so hard to make a direct comparison since I use them for different presentations, but if pressed I would give the edge to GLX based on throwing some smaller jigs with them. Not sure how the current GLX compares, however.

I still have several Dobyns XP Crankbait rods, and they are excellent. In fact I was all Dobyns for several years - I looked at the Xtasy when they were coming out, but couldn't wrap my head around the cost for a made in China rod, so figured i would try an NRX, and it just snowballed from there. I also looked at MegaBass (being a Daiwa homer :), but didn't care for the reel seats - although they are fine rods as well.

14. Member
    All I can say about Dobyns rods is they are very over hyped. It's my opinion and I speak from the HP model down to the model it replaced. I want to say the Extremes.
    Sensitivity is very subjective too, and there are variables like line type ie. braid , floro , copo etc. I would suggest formulating your own opinion

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    All I can say about Dobyns rods is they are very over hyped. It's my opinion and I speak from the HP model down to the model it replaced. I want to say the Extremes.
    Sensitivity is very subjective too, and there are variables like line type ie. braid , floro , copo etc. I would suggest formulating your own opinion
    I disagree, but that's why we have a bunch of options. I bought a NRX873 to compare to my DX dobyns, Megabass orochi's, and kistler klx's. It WAS very sensitive (rightfully so$$), however, to me, It balanced the worse of all the other 3 I mentioned and I did not have a flyweight reel on it. I also HATED the recoil guides. They were not durable, seemed cheap, and like they could be hard on line versus an insert style guide.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    I disagree, but that's why we have a bunch of options. I bought a NRX873 to compare to my DX dobyns, Megabass orochi's, and kistler klx's. It WAS very sensitive (rightfully so$$), however, to me, It balanced the worse of all the other 3 I mentioned and I did not have a flyweight reel on it. I also HATED the recoil guides. They were not durable, seemed cheap, and like they could be hard on line versus an insert style guide.

If you are speaking on the NRX rod being unbalanced
    i completely agree. I have an NRX whose balance is horrible but I used 2 quarters and a butt cap. The recoil guides don’t bother me
    this is the reason I suggested to the OP to form his own opinion.

Yes the NRX was what I felt was the most unbalanced out of the brands I listed.