Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best color for topwater baits

What is considered to be the best color topwater bait for off-colored to light stained on up to moderatly stained water. Referring to larger wake-bait walking style lures(Slammers,rats,etc) or even poppers and Ploppers.

2. Member
    Anything with a white or off white belly. that's the main thing a fish sees from below. The more stained the water the more towards off white like bone color. Top side color is more for the fishermen than the fish in any stained water.

3. Member
    So,black would be mainly reserved for night fishing ?

4. Banned
    If you I had only one colour, it would be white. Night or day.

5. Member
    Black, black, and more black. You can never go wrong with a black topwater, regardless of any condition or water color.

6. Member
    I have a white slammer a baby bass slammer and a purple nitro slammer. If I were you I would get baby bass and a dark color slammer.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

7. Member
    Black for lowlight, white for bright, any water condition. White w/ redhead is hard to beat with a spook. Loon ploppers work for me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I have a white slammer a baby bass slammer and a purple nitro slammer. If I were you I would get baby bass and a dark color slammer.
    What? No light or dark trout?
    And are those the 7", 9" or 12" slammers?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    What? No light or dark trout?
    And are those the 7", 9" or 12" slammers?
    The baby bass is 7" the other 2 are 9"
    and the 7" flat out gets bit.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

10. Member
    I actually have a Mini Slammer on order with Mike in white.Own a few 7 and a 9"Slammer in baby bass and light trout. I'm thinking about making an investment in a custom rat.Before I throw down that kind of money I'm looking for the most versatile/productive color for the water conditions I mentioned. Leaning toward light brown with a bone under belly.
    I've narrowed it down to 2 rats but still deciding what color would be best.

11. Member
    What's the best retrieve on a Slammer?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    I actually have a Mini Slammer on order with Mike in white.Own a few 7 and a 9"Slammer in baby bass and light trout. I'm thinking about making an investment in a custom rat.Before I throw down that kind of money I'm looking for the most versatile/productive color for the water conditions I mentioned. Leaning toward light brown with a bone under belly.
    I've narrowed it down to 2 rats but still deciding what color would be best.
    I think brown with bone belly would be awesome. If night fishing just get the black spro rat in 50.
    I killed them on the spro rat in 40 and 50 size this year it's a awesome rat for the money.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    I like a nice slow steady retrieve with a couple pauses if the water has some chop.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro

pond boat

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Foir me, I wake a slammer. And I cut 1/8th" off the bottom of the lip to keep it on top (Mike Shaw advice). I like the Jackall Mickey SR. for the 7" sizes, the 9" slammer for the larger sizes, although I have both 7" and 9" slammers.

I should add most of my lakes are herring lakes and a fast waking bait works better for me.

15. Member
    I basically either use bone or black. Also have a few translucent topwaters for super clear water

16. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:44 AM.

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I throw a spook, KVD walking topwater, MB Diamanté...pretty much any type of walk the dog lure. I like chrome or white bellys and some high vis color on top since I watch my topwater s a LOT! If I can’t see the bait gone I tend to set the hook too soon so I have to be able to see the lure at all times. It makes me wait til I feel the fish instead of relying on sight.

Topwater is the most fun to me, which creates anticipation...which makes me set the hook too fast. That’s how I choose colors but others have their way and it works for them. We’re all different.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

18. Member
    I'm pretty much in line with Casslaw's thinking. I'm not as concerned with the baits belly color, as I am with its top color. I want a bait that I can easily see, that means white, or some other high visibility color. In less than calm water or under bright skies, I think a black or dark colored belly is probably easier for a fish to really zero in on, but I still want the top of the bait to be high vis. I look to see if the bait is gone from sight, before I set the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Black, black, and more black. You can never go wrong with a black topwater, regardless of any condition or water color.
    I agree with this.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Anything with a white or off white belly. that's the main thing a fish sees from below. The more stained the water the more towards off white like bone color. Top side color is more for the fishermen than the fish in any stained water.
    Same for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast