Trailer tires swap... how often?

My tires are now 3-4 years old and I can see some wear, but have not had any issues yet.Just curious if or how long do you go before you get a new set? By wear or by time?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Manufacturers recommend a three year life. IMO, that would depend on storage and how you use the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I replace mine every four years. Single axle stored inside. Not wanting to take chances on tire failures.

3-4 years on my boats. I usually look at tread wear.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    The lake is only 14 miles away so wear is not an issue for me. Age is. I will replace them at five years. I would do it sooner if the boat was stored outside.

6. Banned
    5 years would be a normal lifespan from the date of manufacture. It all depends on if the trailer was kept outside or inside. It's the sun that gets them very often if they're not run a lot of miles.

7. Member
    Wear, but if they say China on them you better replace them now. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

On a tandem axle you will have more wear than a single due to turns but for my single axle never wore a set out yet so every 4 years new tires. Cars the same way we dont drive enough miles to wear out tires they rot before they wear basically.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    I won't go beyond 4 years before replacing. My experience is that showing wear isn't usually the issue, it's just age. I let a set go too long (about 7 years) a few years back because the tread looked good, and one came apart on the highway and damaged my trailer. When I took it to the tire shop to replace the set, and looking closer, I noticed another tire also starting to come apart. This was a garage kept rig.

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

Quote Originally Posted by tr196 View Post
    I won't go beyond 4 years before replacing. My experience is that showing wear isn't usually the issue, it's just age. I let a set go too long (about 7 years) a few years back because the tread looked good, and one came apart on the highway and damaged my trailer. When I took it to the tire shop to replace the set, and looking closer, I noticed another tire also starting to come apart. This was a garage kept rig.
    I had a similar experience went on the 5th year and was planning to replace but didnt yet cuz they looked like new still and one day luckily close trip but dark of course had the tire seperate internally and come apart. No damage luckily. They just arent made to last anymore.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    After reading this thread, I realized that my boat trailer tires were 5 years old. They only looked like tires with 2 years on them. I just put the Goodyear Endurance tires on, I like that they are a Load D 8 ply tire.

12. Member
    You can also tell by how it feels when towing.

Quote Originally Posted by dsgb View Post
    You can also tell by how it feels when towing.
    Can you elaborate.

Very seldom mine will last 4 years because of the miles hauled.

14. Member
    I will notice it take more effort to tow like its dragging, more noisier on the hwy and lower gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by dsgb View Post
    I will notice it take more effort to tow like its dragging, more noisier on the hwy and lower gas mileage.
    I'll have to take your word for all that..

Mine are only 12 months old and one failed entirely yesterday on the freeway. It's a tandem axle trailer and one of the rears exploded and fell apart. The tandem axle trailer didn't even sway when it happened, handled great and I just pulled over and changed it. It scared the bejesus outta the car right beside me when it went off

One tip though, this is on a Triton Boat Trailer and when the boat is on the trailer, you must have a socket to fit under the hull to get the spare out. The wheel brace X type won't fit under there, luckily the truck wheel brace was the L shape and got under.
    tyre3.jpg
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8