Trailer for the yaks

I'm tossing the idea around about buying a trailer for our kayaks this year. I really don't have anything set in stone if i'm going to buy a made one or make one myself. I bed load right now and it can be a tight squeeze with both of our kayaks in my 6.5 ft box with a sheet of plywood underneath to stable them both. I also thought about a cap and roof rack but my 2004 Chevy and NYS had one to many winters together to invest that kind of money. Thats why I was leaning towards a trailer so I can use it with the next vehicle I purchase. What would be some decent trailers options that wouldn't break m piggie bank?
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

Instead of plywood have you thought about one of those t-bone bed extenders?
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

3. Member
    I have to sandwhich them both in the box. The T-bone wouldn't help me unless I just hauled one. I didn't say but my 2nd yak is a 12ft perception pescador this one has to be laid on its side to fit beside my Bonifide.
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

If you want to go the "cheap" route, look at one of those flatbed ones at Northern Tool. I've seen a few of them used, and they can be modded fairly inexpensively.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I bought one off Craigslist and modified for our Yaks. I can haul 4 Hobie Pro Anglers our up to 8 smaller ones.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

Nice. I like the simplicity of your design. I'm still dragging mine out of the bed of the truck. Which is why I got the kayak to begin with, for those times I didn't want to hook up the boat.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

7. Member
    If you want Galvanized, consider Academy Sports sells a 14 ft and a 16 ft. Jon boat McClain trailer at some locations.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Nice. I like the simplicity of your design. I'm still dragging mine out of the bed of the truck. Which is why I got the kayak to begin with, for those times I didn't want to hook up the boat.
    I’m fine if I go by myself but the wife and son usually fight who’s going with me on the nice days. Plus I’m looking at going to 1000 islands this year and a couple river trips outside of Wayne county. Hate to say the big boat doesn’t get many hours anymore.
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

I was thinking about getting a single jet ski trailer and set it up to carry two kayaks. Both kayaks together weigh about 180lbs. Anybody have something similar and how does it ride going down the interstate? Since it’s pretty light weight, seems like the kayaks would get beat to death bouncing around?

10. Member
    If I were to do that, I believe that I would use the very large pool noodles. Form a good bed for the yaks, and strap the yaks tightly down onto the trailer.

I pulled a 14 ft Jon boat trailer with a 115 Ride kayak on it ( around 70 lbs rigged) with small swim noodles for protection. 75 mph for 70 miles one way with no issues nor concerns. It towed just fine.

11. Member
    Winter time is a great time to look for used PWC trailers. You don't need much. If you want to launch both like boats then a wider (like a dual PWC model) might be better option. Figure out what fits for you, how you want to launch and your storage location considerations. If you can weld or have welder friends then sky is the limit. No welding access - things like unistrut channels are a non-welders friends for trailer add on / mods.

Quote Originally Posted by verno769 View Post
    I’m fine if I go by myself but the wife and son usually fight who’s going with me on the nice days. Plus I’m looking at going to 1000 islands this year and a couple river trips outside of Wayne county. Hate to say the big boat doesn’t get many hours anymore.
    ahhh...memories. I spent my first three years in the Army in Fort Drum. I used to fish the 1000 islands all the time.
    2016 Nitro Z21

13. Member
    Thank you for serving. I love it up there last summer we rented a couple kayaks and had a blast.
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

Thanks for the opportunity. I would love to go up there again sometime to take my wife through the region. Unfortunately she is not the outdoors type so fishing is out, but the 1000 islands area is beautiful to visit too.
    2016 Nitro Z21

15. Member
    Well I decided to go with a habor freight trailer and make my own platform. Theres a fellow on youtube that I really liked his design simple but clean with little room for storage underneath the yaks. Just wanted to update on my random thought of the day lol.
    2000 Johnson 150hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 Si
    Humminbird Helix 5 sonar
    Bonifide SS127

16. Member
    re the video on converting the Harbor Freight trailer. Do you have a LINK, please? thanks.

17. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Do not submerge the hubs on the Harbor Freight trailer. I have one of those and it hauls my two Hobie PA-14's. I didn't think about those Chinese hubs not being water tight because the hubs on boat trailers are (had a few of them). I routinely backed the trailer in the water and floated the kayaks on/off. I had to replace the axle and hubs after a couple years. I bought 2 trailer kits and made my trailer 4'x12' to reduce the overhang of my 14' kayaks and I was happy to have a spare axle & hubs. One other thing, the tires are not that great and are only rated for 55 mph, ok for short hauls but really not suited for long highway trips and speed. I upgraded those also. By the time I was done I had as much money invested as I would have spent on a used jet ski trailer, which when looking back I would like to have done.

^^Good point, I never even thought about that. The ones I've seen used were never submerged....now I know why.
    2016 Nitro Z21

19. Member
    I made a "ladder rack" out of 2x4s and 2x6s. Works great. Drove 1300 miles on a trip last fall. Hauled 2 yaks and a SUP. It's not redneck if it works!