Banned

Mercury 225hp V6 4-stroke

Anyone consider one for a Bullet?

I would only consider a 225 on a 20’ and at that point for me I would probably not be satisfied and pick up a 250 or 300. But this is me.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bling View Post
    I would only consider a 225 on a 20’ and at that point for me I would probably not be satisfied and pick up a 250 or 300. But this is me.
    Understandable, 225hp on a 20 footer would probably be pushing the speed limits of the standard style lower unit I imagine?

4. Member
    The standard lower unit on the new 4 strokes has already turned over a 100mph stock on a bullet and an Allison. That is not a limiting factor. I would love to run a 300 v8 on a 20 XD. I'd say you'd be looking at 107 or 108. I think it ran 104 on a 21 SST with mr. Nichols.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    The standard lower unit on the new 4 strokes has already turned over a 100mph stock on a bullet and an Allison. That is not a limiting factor. I would love to run a 300 v8 on a 20 XD. I'd say you'd be looking at 107 or 108. I think it ran 104 on a 21 SST with mr. Nichols.
    That was a sportmaster which is not offered on the V6 that I'm speaking of, 225hp would run ~80mph?

6. Member
    My bad on the sport master referance I didn't realize they were not available on the 225. My old 20 XD with a 2006. 225 pro Xs and a coned torque master ran over 80 any day. So I would guess the 4 stroker would run just as good. Is the new lower unit the same design as the tourque master 2 ( or wing master. ) or does it have the larger diameter like the v8 lower.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

7. Banned
    My bad on the sport master referance I didn't realize they were not available on the 225. My old 20 XD with a 2006. 225 pro Xs and a coned torque master ran over 80 any day. So I would guess the 4 stroker would run just as good. Is the new lower unit the same design as the tourque master 2 ( or wing master. ) or does it have the larger diameter like the v8 lower.
    It's the same as what's on the 175hp pro XS or standard on the 200hp pro XS just black, a 4.88" fleetmaster with 1.85 gear ratio and low water pick-ups. According to the carb report it doesn't push the 10% rule and makes the advertised 225hp, your 225 was probably making ~245hp like the new pro XS V8. What's 20hp at 80mph worth in mph roughly?

8. Member
    I would guess it's worth a couple mph anyway. The tourque master on my old 225 ran 83 without the nose cone but it drove better after I had it coned and raised it up a click or two. I think I'd call Bob's machine shop and see if they have anything for the new one yet. That's just me though.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

9. Banned
    I would guess it's worth a couple mph anyway. The tourque master on my old 225 ran 83 without the nose cone but it drove better after I had it coned and raised it up a click or two. I think I'd call Bob's machine shop and see if they have anything for the new one yet. That's just me though.
    The new 4-stroke V6/8 cylinder lower units are longer, so may handle better though was curious if anyone had run one at high speed. Obviously those interested in the V8 are going to opt for R model with the sportmaster.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    It's the same as what's on the 175hp pro XS or standard on the 200hp pro XS just black, a 4.88" fleetmaster with 1.85 gear ratio and low water pick-ups. According to the carb report it doesn't push the 10% rule and makes the advertised 225hp, your 225 was probably making ~245hp like the new pro XS V8. What's 20hp at 80mph worth in mph roughly?
    Need to check your info- Fleetmaster gearcases
    are not available for this engine.

A “Fleetmaster” is by definition a Torquemaster (Gen-1) with No Torque Tab. It was to be used ONLY in multi-engine applications.

Don’t believe and republish everything you read...
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-03-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Need to check your info- Fleetmaster gearcases
    are not available for this engine.

A “Fleetmaster” is by definition a Torquemasyer (Gen-1) with No Torque Tab. It was to be used ONLY in multi-engine applications.

Don’t believe and republish everything you read...
    My apologies, I thought fleetmaster was a general term for the standard lower unit. It's different from the previous standard lower unit as it has low water pickups, but I didn't think it was a performance lower unit good to "85mph" like the Gen1 TM? You called it a verado style, is that the correct terminology?

12. Member
    I think the Verado style is a Gen. 2 tourque master. Most are calling a wing master. I may be wrong though.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

13. Banned
    I think the Verado style is a Gen. 2 tourque master. Most are calling a wing master. I may be wrong though.
    I'm familiar with the gen2 TM aka wing master, but believe he referred to verado style as it originally came on the 4-stroke supercharged verados though I never paid much attention to them being so heavy and not sure whether they came with low water pickups in the nose cone or not?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The Gen-2 TM was built to utilize the GEARSET that came in the original (4.8") Verado-Style Gearcase, while also adding a 1.25" Propshaft and carrier.

Yes, the original 4.8" Verado Gearcase (and the Verado-Style used on 3L Optimax Models) DID have low water inlets in the nose of the gearcase.

"Fleetmaster" did not share components with either of these (and was used in MULTI-ENGINE applications only).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Thanks Don. There are so many combinations it's hard to look at one and tell the difference when your not the one working on them all the time.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR