Thread: Bandit ?

Bandit ?

Where do these Bandit packages fall in?

2. Member
    Both are post pradco, I believe. I know there is at least one guy that disagrees though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Both are post pradco, I believe. I know there is at least one guy that disagrees though.
    I don’t think so. I have several like the one on the right and several Triple grip and some with made in China on the back.
    Last edited by D.Moore; 12-26-2018 at 07:43 PM.

4. Member
    Donnie-do the ones with TG hooks have the little emblem on the front stating they have them? I am far from an expert on the Bandits. I once thought I knew a little about them but now I realize I don't know much at all. But, this is the only sensible thing I have been able to come up with (on my own, so beware!). I believe they are probably transition lures/packaging. To me, those lures have pradco written all over them. But the packaging seems to be all over the place. My theory is, Bandit was in the process of cutting costs (thus, doing away with the TG hooks which would explain why the old style packaging on yours doesn't have the TG emblem on the front). And to boost sales by giving the packaging a fresh look they were also changing over to the new style you show on the left. In the process, Pradco took over and for them to save expenses used up what the received in the buyout. Other companies have done it, so why not Bandit? Perhaps we will never know.

What is interesting is, if the country had realized the fish catching ability of these Bandits before now, perhaps they would have continued to be made in MS. But maybe not. They were very popular in LA where I live. And I can remember when the "Mistake" era took place and they sold like hotcakes around here. It's funny for me to sit back now and see all the craziness surrounding the older lures. If I had only known, I could have bought boatloads on the cheap.

These are just my theories as I haven't heard from anyone...so proceed with great caution. But we most likely will never know all that happened during the transition.

5. Member
    Eddie you may have something. I was going by the package. One has the MS address and I just assumed it was pre Pradco. All of the TG packages do have the TG logo on them that’s made on the package except one and it has a small TG sticker on it. Do you see a lot of difference in the way the two different baits fish, pre and post Pradco? I’m a little disgusted with myself, 3 years ago I sold a Plano 3700 stuffed full of old Bandits cheap. They do catch fish but I have 100s of lures and I do more crappie fishing now than I do bass fishing. I hate it that Norman sold out to Pradco. I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas and have a Blessed New Year. Take care my friend. Donnie

6. Member
    Look at the eyes. The Pradco form has large eyes. Pre Pradco has a small bump for the eye. The white bass is new they lighten the color with Pradco the old ones had a darker back. I seek these at every hole in the wall tackle store I go to. The one on the left is a transition bait. That is when Pradco bought them and they stopped the Triple hooks. I am no expert but have been a Bandit fan since I got my first one back in the early 80's.

7. Member
    Yeah I was going off of the eyes on those baits not necessarily the packages. I did notice the address on the back, but I know that rebel left the address on the back of some of their china boxes too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Donnie-do the ones with TG hooks have the little emblem on the front stating they have them? I am far from an expert on the Bandits. I once thought I knew a little about them but now I realize I don't know much at all. But, this is the only sensible thing I have been able to come up with (on my own, so beware!). I believe they are probably transition lures/packaging. To me, those lures have pradco written all over them. But the packaging seems to be all over the place. My theory is, Bandit was in the process of cutting costs (thus, doing away with the TG hooks which would explain why the old style packaging on yours doesn't have the TG emblem on the front). And to boost sales by giving the packaging a fresh look they were also changing over to the new style you show on the left. In the process, Pradco took over and for them to save expenses used up what the received in the buyout. Other companies have done it, so why not Bandit? Perhaps we will never know.

What is interesting is, if the country had realized the fish catching ability of these Bandits before now, perhaps they would have continued to be made in MS. But maybe not. They were very popular in LA where I live. And I can remember when the "Mistake" era took place and they sold like hotcakes around here. It's funny for me to sit back now and see all the craziness surrounding the older lures. If I had only known, I could have bought boatloads on the cheap.

These are just my theories as I haven't heard from anyone...so proceed with great caution. But we most likely will never know all that happened during the transition.
    That sounds very likely to me

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wthom12 View Post
    Look at the eyes. The Pradco form has large eyes. Pre Pradco has a small bump for the eye. The white bass is new they lighten the color with Pradco the old ones had a darker back. I seek these at every hole in the wall tackle store I go to. The one on the left is a transition bait. That is when Pradco bought them and they stopped the Triple hooks. I am no expert but have been a Bandit fan since I got my first one back in the early 80's.
    Another way I tell the pre from post is by the belly. You can see the fill marks on the belly of a pre, but the belly on a post is completely smooth.

10. Member
    Donnie-I haven't used the new ones enough to be able to tell a difference, if there is one, in the way they fish. One of the main complaints I have heard about the newer ones is that they are not as durable, that the lips are more fragile. As anything that Pradco has bought, they are going to cut corners to increase the profit margin as much as possible so it would not surprise me if they changed the makeup of the plastic used even if it did weaken the lure.

We had a good Christmas. Got to spend more time with the baby boy and his wife...and that can never be bad! Pray you had a great Christmas and a blessed New Year ahead of you. God bless my Friend...Eddie

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster96 View Post
    Another way I tell the pre from post is by the belly. You can see the fill marks on the belly of a pre, but the belly on a post is completely smooth.
    I have looked the ones in the solid red package has small eyes with no fill marks then the ones with the small eyes and some marking where the bill connect to the body is next, then the tripple grips came the one with the fill marks on the bottom.
    I have them in the original packaging and this is the progression I have learned.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wthom12 View Post
    I have looked the ones in the solid red package has small eyes with no fill marks then the ones with the small eyes and some marking where the bill connect to the body is next, then the tripple grips came the one with the fill marks on the bottom.
    I have them in the original packaging and this is the progression I have learned.
    Yeah, I normally just use the fill marks whenever the eyes are a little tough to tell. It is normally the later baits that you see with them.

13. Member
    E0A7FDEE-07AC-4707-905D-DBC4290C8BD6.jpegOk I

ok I give up iv tried to feel the belly look at eyes and I can’t tell what these are. I guy was wanting my bandits and I was trying to find out why and from what I’m reading pre is what everyone wants. Idk if any of these has the triple grip hooks I see two baits that have different hooks and the one I think is pre the hooks plain but has little eyes. Cans someone look at these and see if any are pre. If not what should I ask for these 21 baits? Thanks

14. Member
    Sorry, it wouldn’t let me load original size so I picked small and can’t see it so ill load a larger one. 05CFB56A-3DCD-4EDA-A4FE-AEDDBA4C3543.jpeg

15. Member
    The second baby bass hooks look plain to me and small eyes. What your thoughts on these.

16. Member
    From that pic, it looks like all of them are the earlier version/the triple grip version. Probably $5-$7 each in a lot, some might bring more if the lot was broken up.