Thread: 190SC Champion

190SC Champion

Starting to clean and buff my 1990 190 Champion. Ill post some before and afters when i get done. (It is cleaning up nice) I have a couple questions about the chrome rails and cletes. I have some pitting and scratches. What is yalls experience with this? Will painting hold up over time? What about power coating? Is it worth getting them re-chromed? What about sanding and polishing and maybe clearing after sanding? Idk let me know some of your thoughts? What you would do or what you would do differently.

2. Member
    First see if replacement are available and how much. Sets a base line.Forget painting.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

3. Member
    Id replace them if cheaper than blasting and powder coating.

4. Member
    Didnt even know that replacing was a option. Being this old of a boat. Ill look into that.(see what that would cost me) i talked to a guy that said he could re chrome them for less than 200. "through a coworker" so this might be the way i go. I will just have to do all the prep work myself. which is no problem. ill be posting some pics soon. I doubt i could buy new rails for that but ill look around. I think there was a couple posts in the Champion forum about some guys that dealed with some Champ parts.

5. Member

Cleaned out bilge area to day to find out that all (all plastic ones i think) of the thru hull fittings have been failing.

6. Member

I got all the thru hull fittings loose and out of the boat. I have read somewhere not to use Stainless or brass thru hull fittings is there a reason for this? Been browsing around and all the plastic thru hull fittings are not rated for below water line. Do people replace with plastic anyway or should i use stainless? Live well pump fitting was loose and leaking water and the live well re circulation fitting was cracked. I have a squirrel cage fan blowing thru the holes hopefully will dry out in a day or so. Pretty sure this is not connected to the transom because transom is dry and solid. Give me some of yalls opinions on these thru hull fittings. I am leaning towards the stainless unless someone convinces me not to....