Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I spent quite a bit of time looking and climbing on the Vexus as well. I really liked the boat a lot. My takeaway was about the same as n2ratfishin. They make a good boat BUT.....

I was thinking about trading boats. My six year warranty runs out on the Yamaha this year. I wanted to get an Ultrex. There were some other improvements or upgrades I thought about. Plus I just was thinking about a new boat. I have had this RT188 about as long as I ever kept a boat before except for a couple.

I just could not see enough improvement differences in the Vexus to make me spend almost $20,000 and my boat for one if you included taxes and everything. It is nicer than my Ranger RT but just not that much nicer. And I really really like fishing from the Ranger. And even with the Yamaha being out of warranty soon, the chances of a problem are remote. The Yamaha F115 is about as dependable as they come. So I decided to replace the Maxuum with the Ultrex and add some new electronics and a few other things. It was a good decision for me. If I did not have a good motor and boat already, the Vexus would be on the list in consideration if I could find a decent price on one.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Banned
    I have noticed, in close up pictures on the web, that the welds on the Vexus boats are better quality welds than most other aluminum bassboats. But i will say that the welds on my Polar Kraft are just as clean! I have seen welds on Trackers and Tritons, in person, and they need to clean up their act a little with that area!
    My Xpress weld's were also pretty clean.

The one I crawled over was sitting next to a RT188 and Lund Renegade. It was a AVX 1880 with a 115 , ultrex , and 10” graphs. $33k and change was the price. Beautiful boat, well built , a step above the other brands. Only down side I see is the 1880 is the exact same size as an X19. Only the Xpress can be had with a 200 vs the 115 on the Vexus. The transom is built exactly the same as the 20’ rig with a 200 hp rating. The dealer said these boats are extremely heavy. Very nice boats, but the fancy paint and heavy weight will not be for those looking for light , ease of use, and low maintenance. On the plus side storage compartments are dry, lots of room, and should be pretty stable. I’m sure the ride will be good because it won’t be very fast with a 115. You guys know what kind of speed you get out of a RT 188 with a 115, now imagine a boat 3” wider and a few hundred pounds heavier. But non the less a well built boat.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Is it?

Lund is arguably the best built freshwater tin fishing boat on the market. They've earned that title. The cookie cutter tins are nothing more than that. I've never seen a Vexus, but I don't imagine they are much different. The Vexus is cosmetically different than the cookie cutter hulls. It doesn't appear to be engineered differently. A 20ft boat starting at $40k with a 200 on the back? Sorry, I'd rather have the Lund
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Have you compared this to a Lund pro-v bass?
    If I am going to fish for bass, I had a LOT rather have the Vexus or the Triton or the Ranger RT or etc. etc. etc.... Especially in the south or mid south or Florida area. Maybe that's why you don't see very many Lunds in the south......

I don't like the front deck on the Lund design and that's where I spend probably 95% of my time. It just gets too narrow up toward the front of the boat. It's just the design of a V style hull. Also for instance, I spend a lot of time in the mid south and south and there just aren't any dealers. There is not a Lund dealer in the whole state where I spend the summer and fall.

If I am going to walleye fish and troll and drive around Lake Erie, I will shop a Lund. If I am going to bass fish in the south or mid south and I am going to fish the stumps and shallows and Lily pads, spend all day casting from the front deck with my foot on the trolling motor, or need a dealer to help me with something under warranty ...... I will shop something else..... I am sure they are well built....but there's more to it and many other manufacturers make a solid boat too. I fished from them in Canada for smallmouth and they are definitely not my favorite boat from the front deck with the trolling motor down.

I would rather bass fish from the Vexus myself.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    If I am going to fish for bass, I had a LOT rather have the Vexus or the Triton or the Ranger RT or etc. etc. etc.... Especially in the south or mid south or Florida area. Maybe that's why you don't see very many Lunds in the south......

I don't like the front deck on the Lund design and that's where I spend probably 95% of my time. It just gets too narrow up toward the front of the boat. It's just the design of a V style hull. Also for instance, I spend a lot of time in the mid south and south and there just aren't any dealers. There is not a Lund dealer in the whole state where I spend the summer and fall.

If I am going to walleye fish and troll and drive around Lake Erie, I will shop a Lund. If I am going to bass fish in the south or mid south and I am going to fish the stumps and shallows and Lily pads, spend all day casting from the front deck with my foot on the trolling motor, or need a dealer to help me with something under warranty ...... I will shop something else..... I am sure they are well built....but there's more to it and many other manufacturers make a solid boat too. I fished from them in Canada for smallmouth and they are definitely not my favorite boat from the front deck with the trolling motor down.

I would rather bass fish from the Vexus myself.
    We have 2 Lund dealers in FL. One is in Tampa and the other is in Fort Meyers.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

7. Member
    Is it?

Lund is arguably the best built freshwater tin fishing boat on the market. They've earned that title.
    Maybe in a deep v configuration Lund is at the top of the heap in build quality but in a mod v designed hull I would say Sea Ark would be the top of the line in best built hull quality.

Two different hulls designed for running and fishing completely different water conditions.

Lund makes a nice boat, had one years ago but it is not the only top quality built tin boat line in the country by a long shot.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by v_fourmax View Post
    Maybe in a deep v configuration Lund is at the top of the heap in build quality but in a mod v designed hull I would say Sea Ark would be the top of the line in best built hull quality.

Two different hulls designed for running and fishing completely different water conditions.

Lund makes a nice boat, had one years ago but it is not the only top quality built tin boat line in the country by a long shot.
    I agree. In fact, the Sea Ark dealer steered me towards Lund. The point i was trying to make is the Lund is not a cookie cutter mod v hull. Its a completely different category of tin boat than the Trackers, Rangers, and Vexus

9. Banned
    I agree. In fact, the Sea Ark dealer steered me towards Lund. The point i was trying to make is the Lund is not a cookie cutter mod v hull. Its a completely different category of tin boat than the Trackers, Rangers, and Vexus
    There are several aluminum boat builders that are not making “cookie cutter” boats. I’ve owned a few, including my current boat

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    The one I crawled over was sitting next to a RT188 and Lund Renegade. It was a AVX 1880 with a 115 , ultrex , and 10” graphs. $33k and change was the price. Beautiful boat, well built , a step above the other brands. Only down side I see is the 1880 is the exact same size as an X19. Only the Xpress can be had with a 200 vs the 115 on the Vexus. The transom is built exactly the same as the 20’ rig with a 200 hp rating. The dealer said these boats are extremely heavy. Very nice boats, but the fancy paint and heavy weight will not be for those looking for light , ease of use, and low maintenance. On the plus side storage compartments are dry, lots of room, and should be pretty stable. I’m sure the ride will be good because it won’t be very fast with a 115. You guys know what kind of speed you get out of a RT 188 with a 115, now imagine a boat 3” wider and a few hundred pounds heavier. But non the less a well built boat.
    This is a good post and sums it up pretty well pad hull or not its still just a 115 pushing it. They are sharp looking rigs ill give them that.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Vexus make a really nice boat but I am not sure why anyone would buy an aluminum boat when you can get a fiberglass rig for the same price.

I can get a Bass Cat Margay with a 115 Mercury Pro XS for $32,959 plus freight nicely equipped. Bump that up to a 150 and you are just below $40,000.

Yes it is a couple of inches shorter but the quality is there and it is a proven product that has been in the market for many years.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Vexus make a really nice boat but I am not sure why anyone would buy an aluminum boat when you can get a fiberglass rig for the same price.

I can get a Bass Cat Margay with a 115 Mercury Pro XS for $32,959 plus freight nicely equipped. Bump that up to a 150 and you are just below $40,000.

Yes it is a couple of inches shorter but the quality is there and it is a proven product that has been in the market for many years.
    Wow the Margay went up in price! 3 years ago you could get the Vision Tour edition with 150 4-stroke Merc for a hair over $30k. At least you could from my local dealer.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Banned

The Margay is all fine and dandy unless you're fishing with a partner and have to open the rod box.

The Margay is all fine and dandy unless you're fishing with a partner and have to open the rod box.
    Two people in the front of any boat is going to be a pain to get to the rod box.

Anybody in my boat fishes from the back. I like to have some room to move around.

I am not on TV and the camera man doesn't need to get both of us in the shot.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 12-28-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Bass Cat makes some great boats. The Margay is a full foot shorter than say the Vexus 1880 and a few inches narrower. The PII with a 115hp on the back would be an honest comparison. The smallest Vexus is the AVX 189 at 18'7" with a 94" beam still rated for a 115 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    Bass Cat makes some great boats. The Margay is a full foot shorter than say the Vexus 1880 and a few inches narrower. The PII with a 115hp on the back would be an honest comparison. The smallest Vexus is the AVX 189 at 18'7" with a 94" beam still rated for a 115 hp.
    I agree. AVX 189 with a 115 comes in just below $30,000 with the same options as a standard Margay.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    No Lund dealers around here that I know of.

Here are you closest Lund dealers

Two people in the front of any boat is going to be a pain to get to the rod box.

Anybody in my boat fishes from the back. I like to have some room to move around.

I am not on TV and the camera man doesn't need to get both of us in the shot.
    No doubt. Same here coangler is on the back deck always for me.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    This is a good discussion. I had NO idea we had a Lund dealership in Tampa. You just don’t see them down here. I used to think they were some off brand junk when I was a kid since I only saw them in Canada on TV! For Florida fishing the Lund just isn’t in the conversation but I’ve seen plenty on TV that looked Huge and spacious.

If you’re in my boat, you’re on the back deck unless we are flipping and you’re good; yes, I do take some people out that are saltwater fisherman and really cannot bass fish at all! Scares the crap outta me when they’re on the front deck! And if I’m in your boat I’m on the back deck unless you ask me to come up front.

Sounds like common sense but saltwater is different since you’re not usually casting to a single pad or branch. Throwing jigs over a grass flat is pretty simple, throwing a bass jig to one pad in a million is hard comparatively speaking.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    This is a good discussion. I had NO idea we had a Lund dealership in Tampa. You just don’t see them down here. I used to think they were some off brand junk when I was a kid since I only saw them in Canada on TV! For Florida fishing the Lund just isn’t in the conversation but I’ve seen plenty on TV that looked Huge and spacious.

If you’re in my boat, you’re on the back deck unless we are flipping and you’re good; yes, I do take some people out that are saltwater fisherman and really cannot bass fish at all! Scares the crap outta me when they’re on the front deck! And if I’m in your boat I’m on the back deck unless you ask me to come up front.

Sounds like common sense but saltwater is different since you’re not usually casting to a single pad or branch. Throwing jigs over a grass flat is pretty simple, throwing a bass jig to one pad in a million is hard comparatively speaking.
    Yeah... I didn't know I had so many tin boat options in my relative area until I visited each tin boat manufacturer website and typed in my zip code inside the dealers tab. So far I have: Tracker, Alumacraft, Lowes, Ranger, Vexus, Lund, PolarKraft, G3, and Sea Ark dealers all less than 150 miles away from me. That's ALOT options.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast