Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From bass boat to kayak

I sold my Ranger a couple years ago and yes I have sellers remorse. Thinking about replacing it or getting a hobie or a pedal drive. Thoughts on going from bass boat would be appreciated. Pros cons and overall comparison of fishing out of both. Thanks

2. Member
    There is no comparison but fishing out of a kayak is fun I don't have a Pedal drive but it's still fun nothing like being in a big boat tho.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    What YAk u fish out of?

On a side note...what is real world MPG on the ecoboost

4. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I shifted from a 21' Triton to a kayak about 4 years ago. The boat got to be more work than fun as I moved into retirement and all my local water is electric power only. It became a liability to use properly for one or two travel trips each year. I had friends that had switched to kayaks and I joined them. Started out with a Hobie Outback as I wanted a drive system for hands free fishing. Quickly upgraded to a Hobie Pro Angler 14 for more room and horizontal rod storage - I didn't like my rods sticking up in the air. I enjoy fishing from my kayak, it's far less work, cheap, and I can get into water I could not fish from my large boat. There are drawbacks - I can't carry 20 rods and a virtural tackle store with me, or cover near as much water in a day of fishing but I would not go back to a boat at this point in my life. Plenty of good fishing kayaks available, give one a try.

I own both and fish out of both depending on the water and time of the year. Nothing beats trying to land a big bass while he's pulling your kayak. WARNING, don't just reach over and just try to grab the fish while holding a long rod you may end up in his domain.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Member
    I have an Old Town Predator. It’s fun on small ponds, but like previously stated nothing beats a bass boat. Get used to trying to control the kayak while casting and landing fish. Current is always trying to move you out of position. Something you take for granted in a boat with a TM. I started carrying small anchors to stabilize and maintain position for the kayak. Respect to the guys that have mastered kayak fishing, it aint as easy as it looks.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGUNNER View Post
    What YAk u fish out of?

On a side note...what is real world MPG on the ecoboost
    I just have a cheap tamarack angler kayak it works for me.
    the ecoboost averages 17-18 city and 20-22 highway depending on how fast I'm driving. 13-14 pulling my Lund.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

8. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I don't own a kayak yet. I am going to try it in the spring so I can compare. Thanks

Recommend trying several different brands/types if possible. They all have their advantages/disadvantages. Some track better than others, some are more stable, some still require a trailer, pedal, motor, etc. Let us know which yak you decide to buy.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I loved my Basscat but seldom found time to use it. I got into Kayak fishing and love it. I bought a Hobie Pro Angler. No gas or batteries and I dump it in some skinny waters. I do miss my boat at times but I like that I can go on the spur of the moment with my Yak.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

I have both, boat and kayak. I mostly use my kayak when I go to the Gulf to do some offshore fishing. Don’t have to worry about washing a kayak at the end of the day like you do with a boat and trailer after fishing in salt water, lol. Just sold my 14’ paddle kayak and bought a 12.5 pedal kayak. Love being hands free to fish.

I sold my boat and only kayak fish now unless someone invites me to fish with them or something. I fish KBF online tournaments and some live kayak tournaments. I’ve enjoyed it. It’s a different challenge for sure having to get used to controlling it in the wind, current, and such. Now I really have no desire to have another boat... but I live where there’s a lot of water (plus inshore saltwater) that have good access for kayak fishing.
    I don’t have a pedal drive. I’m in FL i fish vegetation most of the time and I mainly stand up fishing. If I fished more open water I’d go to a pedal drive because they’re likely easier to control in the wind. The wind is not your friend in a kayak, at least to me.

13. Member
    I appreciate all the replies and info. I am leaning toward the hobie pro angler. Not sure if I trust myself standing in a smaller kayak. My balance sucks.

14. Member
    I have had 3 pro angler 14 models. They are amazing fishing platforms. Super comfortable and stable. Easy to stand and plenty of accessible storage. The horizontal rod tubes to me is one of the bigger selling points. While others are going back to there vehicles and staging tackle and rods. I am already fishing. Biggest detractor is weight. If you can trailer it with a small PWC trailer - then the weight is void. Once on the water the thing is awesome. If you truck bed it - might look into a Boonedox landing gear. With the h-rail, gear tracking and transducer ready location with Guardian, other tools like electronics, camera mounts, rod holders are so easy and quick to add - you can be fishing with all the creature comforts in no time. Kayak fishing is just more primal fun than boat fishing. Good luck and demo before you buy.

The weight is the only bad thing about em. I love mine but some of the adventures we go on a smaller one would be better. The small rivers in our area are full of log jams and going over them can be a pain but there are fish that has never seen a lure. I'm thinking of a new Outback in my future.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

16. Member
    That's a pretty ambitious fishing trip. Looks fun. Thanks for the info everyone.

17. Member
    I've had both (yaks and many boats) and enjoyed fishing out of each. At age 78, I sold the last of my yaks about a year ago, yet I still think about getting another one.

When my 50 hp boat motor wouldn't "pee" this morning, I once again thought about selling everything with a motor and going back to the simplicity of paddles. I never had a Pedal yak and they sure have their fans.

On the 50 hp....I tried a wire up the "Pee" hole, and a blast of air up there too. Neither idea worked. I don't want to take a chance on ever-heating the engine, so I'll take it to my guy on Monday. ........ Paddles are foolproof.

Prolly time for an impeller Rich.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    When I had my bay boat and fished saltwater a lot I also had a Tarpon 140 Kayak and had at least as much fun getting back into the skinny areas with my kayak. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another kayak and fish the smaller lakes around me that you can’t get a boat in.

Kayak fishing is much more...intimate. Since you can’t just motor around the lake you slow down and pick areas apart much better; at least I did.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

20. Member
    Royj......nope. Turned out to be the "Flush-Mate (Muff) wasn't grabbing the engine tight enough. My mechanic said he just squeezed the frame until it was tight, and then slipped it on. All of the water was escaping around the muff. I learn something every day.

Incidentally, I looked at Hobie Compass today. 12 feet long with the reversible drive. Expensive (it's a Hobie) but pretty neat looking for my usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast