Senior spring break trip to Chickamauga

Hey Guys, as a highschool senior, and avid bass angler, I get the privilege of planning my family’s spring break and have successfully persuaded my parents(who do not fish) in taking me to Lake Chickamauga for some trophy bass fishing. However, being from Michigan I’ve had very little experience fishing reservoirs, or fishing the south in general.We will be bringing down my 16ft tin boat so I should be able to explore the whole lake, but I was wondering what kind of patterns/techniques are common on Chickamauga in early April? From the research I’ve done they say bass are typically in pre-spawn at this time (wondering the truth in that)?We’re also looking at renting a cabin, don’t know if anyone knows of good areas around the lake that are quiet that we could look for a good rental? Any info about the area would be super helpful (good restaurants/tackle shops/other good outdoor attractions for the parents). Thanks Guys!

2. Member
    From past experience, April will be more of a numbers time, than big fish time (February - early March). Depending on the weather, many of the bigger fish will have spawned by early April. If you are going to be here a week, I would suggest hiring a guide for the first day to show you around. There are 2 primary areas to choose from for lodging, Dayton, TN is up river and has lots of lodging choices (fishdayton.com) and the Harrison area is more on the lower end. If you are looking around Harrison, try Island Cove for lodging. Downtown Chattanooga (close to Harrison area) has lots of adult stuff to do. Check out the tourist sites for that. Best local tackle store is Soddy Custom tackle in Soddy Daisy which is about halfway between Dayton and Chattanooga. The lake gets hammered in the spring, so don't expect to be alone. Enjoy!

3. Member
    Make sure you check the calendar for tournaments! March-May is when all the costa's, opens, flw, and that god awful mess of a high school tourney are there. Hate for you to wind up in the middle of any of those

4. Member
    Thanks Wackyjig, I’ll make sure to check that out.

5. Member
    Any suggestions for a guide on Chickamauga?

6. Member
    Look around on this. It should be of some help.

https://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com/

Here of more real good size caught in February. Probably on the A-rig.

8. Member
    Billy Wheat at riprapadventures is the best guide on the Chic. Look him up on Facebook. The fishing in April is great. The fish will be wanting to come shallow. Lake level and weather affect each days fishing. Lipless, jerk baits, square bills, spinnerbaits, swimbaits, A-rig, and even a Texas rigged baby brushing could be in play.

9. Member
    Thanks Guys!