Glad I had the spud...

Well the boy and I decided after lunch to go play with our new toys on the ice. Weather has been sketchy since last weekend but with a few cold nights the ice was looking good. As we were packing today my son just grabbed the spud and threw it in the sled.
    Upon getting to the pond i noticed it and figured what the hell we got it i will use it. Drilled a few holes on our way out solid clear 4-5 inches. Then IT HAPPENED. Drove the spud bar and it sailed right through the ice. And the ice started cracking.... Luckily i was able to pull the bar out and back peddle like a cat. Only thing i can think is this was a weep hole that developed from all the warm rain draining off the ice we had a five days ago. Last weekend we had a solid 7 inches of ice and this area maybe had 1.5 inches at best.
    Guess Santa was looking out for me today and that spud bar is my new friend. What is even worse was the fact that there were skate marks over a good section of this pond and no obvious spots where people had checked the ice.

Glad the spud helped you! I always bring mine too it has saved me more than once that's for sure. I was just on a back water off the Mississippi a few days ago along a busy hey where everyone can see you. I we were the first ones out on this particular spot. The normal walk on area only had about 1.5" with weeds growing into the ice which made it very sketchy. So we took the safe route through the woods about half mile to get on the good 4" to 6" of safe ice. But since everyone could see us from the hwy we attracted a small crowd naturally. Everyone who came out after us just assumed we walked the bad ice and they all just walked across it and none even had a spud. Most got wet before they even made it 10ft from the shoreline with a couple feet of muck. People just don't use their heads anymore!

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Be SAFE!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/