Ceramics extra noisy in Shimano MGL frames?

Has anyone else noticed this?

They aren't all created equally. Some ceramic spool bearings are more noisy than others, and the type of lubricant in use also may have an impact. Another significant factor is also whether or not the bearings in question are or have been properly flushed and lubricated. Magnesium framed reels amplify internal noise and vibration more than aluminum framed reels.

Should not be any louder than in any other reel in general. That said, if someone changed the one on the spool shaft, that shaft is easy to tweak and that can cause a more audible sound which is not a cheap fix. Ceramics can quiet with use. I would use and see what happens, then proceed. Dan
    Last edited by reelex; 12-24-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Banned
    Like Bryan said, magnesium reels transmit sound, and vibration, more than your average aluminum framed reels do. So yes, you will hear the noise more pronounced.

Ahhhh, not normally in a audible way. Vibration yes, to a degree, but a quality bearing should not be so loud in any reel that it becomes annoying. Either the bearing is of poor quality, its dry, or the spool is rubbing on the inside raceway.. Could, also,easily be a shield rubbing. My point is dont just dismiss it as a frame material issue. Dan
    Last edited by reelex; 12-25-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

6. Member
    So happy I went back to quality ABEC 5 SS bearings.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Ahhhh, not normally in a audible way. Vibration yes, to a degree, but a quality bearing should not be so loud in any reel that it becomes annoying. Either the bearing is of poor quality, its dry, or the spool is rubbing on the inside raceway.. Could, also,easily be a shield rubbing. My point is dont just dismiss it as a frame material issue. Dan
    So you are saying that if you take, for arguments sake, Boca Orange seal OS7s (ceramic hybrid bearings), and you put them in a Curado (aluminum frame) vs Metanium (magnesium frame) those same bearings wont be louder in the Metanium?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    So you are saying that if you take, for arguments sake, Boca Orange seal OS7s (ceramic hybrid bearings), and you put them in a Curado (aluminum frame) vs Metanium (magnesium frame) those same bearings wont be louder in the Metanium?
    This is what I’m finding- the same bearings that seem to be quiet in a metal framed reel, seem noisy in a MG framed reel.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimed99 View Post
    This is what I’m finding- the same bearings that seem to be quiet in a metal framed reel, seem noisy in a MG framed reel.
    Yep. Thats typical. Like Bryan even stated, magnesium framed reels will amplify sound and vibration. Oh, and magnesium is metal, just a different type of metal.

10. Member
    Gary....not me lol

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeRoadBassn View Post
    Gary....not me lol
    Doh! Lol