S Glass question?

Im looking at building a chatterbait rod. I have found a couple rods at Rod Geeks, the SG79MHM and the SG79HM. I have never fished with S Glass and was wondering what rod would be best for grass fishing, ripping the bait out of the grass. I fish the potomac river all the time. Having never fished with S Glass Im just worried about not having enough back bone or to much and ripping the bait out of the fishes mouth.

I'd go with the heavy and for my taste I'd cut about 5-7 inches off the butt.

3. Member
    Go with the SG79HM, cut 1" off the tip and 5" off the butt. Trust me on this one.

4. Member
    Just want to say that Im new to the rod building. Taking 1in off the top really change the rod that much?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colt3672 View Post
    Just want to say that Im new to the rod building. Taking 1in off the top really change the rod that much?
    Yes, on this blank just enough for chatterbaits. I've played around with this one for a while and have settled on 5" off the butt and 1" off the tip. If you leave this blank at 7'9" it's almost prohibitively heavy at least for me, though the extra length is good with big deep cranks. I've taken as much as 9" off the butt (ask 21XDC, I built one for him) and left the tip alone. It's still very good for chatterbaits but if you take that extra 1" off the tip it just gives it that little bit extra you need in grass. I want to say that I've got one that I cut 8" off the butt and an inch off the tip too. I might have sold that one though.

The MH is a good crankin blank, it's my go to glass crank blank. I use the H for chatterbaits and buzzbaits.

6. Member
    I should also say that I almost never cut the tip on a graphite blank but do quite often on sglass. You can get that little bit extra power or backbone or whatever you want to call it and still have the slower reaction of the glass.

But you cut 9in off the butt on my rod.... Works really well for me.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    But you cut 9in off the butt on my rod.... Works really well for me.
    I did, and then when we talked after you fished it I built another one with 8" off the butt and 1" off the tip and then one with 5" off the butt and 1" off the tip. I'm like you, I tinker with the blanks and builds until it hits me just right...it's cost prohibitive and doesn't always work but when it finally does it's nice. I should send you the one with the inch off the tip to try out. If you like it better I'll build you another one.

Just build me another 7ft er... Text me for details..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Thanks for the info. The last 2 years I have been using a Duckett Terex Crankbait rod 7' 6'' for my chatterbaits. Im going to take your advice and remove 1'' from the tip. I had planned on removing some from the butt also. 5'' sounds good, I wanted to take the rod down to a 7' 4'' - 7' 3''

I won the last tournament I fished in 2018 on his rod and my bladed jig....

12. Member
    Have a question about rod guides. I plan to use Fuji KW rod guides. If I buy the guides in a kit it comes with
    7J (1) 6J (1) and #5 (9).
    Im not sure what the J stands for. The first guide is a diuble foot. Do or should I make the next guide a double foot then run #5s to the tip top. I see that a lot of the crankbait rods have 2 double foot guides.

13. Member
    J rings are another name for Fuji Concepts, so I'm pretty sure that set is Concept and not K Series.

I'm not familiar with the sets but I usually use a KWAG8 for the stripper (that's a double foot), a KBAG7 for the next guide and then KTAG5.5's for the runners. The last two codes are single foot. You could go KWAG7, KBAG6 and then KTAG5's for the runners. 11 total guides should be more than enough.

14. Member
    Sounds great... Thank you