Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat Alarms Issues!!

Problems...
    The boat starts, runs, etc....BUT, once i'm on plane making a short run to my next spot, an alarm sounds(it's a constant beeeeeeeeeeeep) and it shuts my motor down below 2000 rpm's causing me to take water due to the abrupt slowing. I shut the key off, the alarm shut off. If i try to restart immediately, the alarm is still sounding. After several attempt at turning on and off and in gear and out of gear(basically anything i can trick it to do), it finally goes away. I then take off, jump up on plane and it will allow me to run a couple minutes or so before it happens again.

My attempt to fix..I read up on some forums and was told to replace the water impeller/pump(in which I did), replace the thermostats( in which i did) and the problem still exist. I also ran the motor at the launch and it still happened. At that point I also removed the oil reservoir under the hood and messed with the float sensor(which did nothing). Alarm still sounded.

Conclusion...NEED HELP!! Problem Still Exist!!!

2. Member
    Temp sensor and low oil sensor would be the first places I look. Knowing what motor you have would be helpful.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

3. Member
    What engine? What is engine temp when it happens? What is water pressure?
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

4. Member
    Cant make suggestions when we dont know what your engine is ????

If it's a Merc...isn't the low oil alarm intermittent beeps, where as the hot horn (for a water issue) is a continuous BEEP?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Sounds exactly like mine did once and it ended up being either the throttle position switch or the neutral switch. I don’t remember which. I did the same thing of shifting in and out of gear just trying to make something happen, (which it did remedy it long enough so I could get back to the ramp). My mechanic said that the repetition of shifting in and out of gear (don’t remember how many times) resets everything back to factory settings but doesn’t fix the problem. Ya might look into this. Hope u figure it out.

7. Member
    My optimax started alarming the same way at 3400 rpm and as the day went on it would alarm at 2900. There was a blown fuse link coming from the alternator (90 amp). I was running off my battery. They replaced it and it's fine now.

8. Member
    Hey guys, should I be putting gasoline or diesel fuel in my truck???
    The truck is red.
    Need help !!!!
    Last edited by toofy; 12-24-2018 at 10:27 PM.

9. Member
    I was thinking the same thing...LOL.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

When mine did that, it was the oil reserve level sensor. Pull the cowling off and see if your oil tank is full. Over time the magnetic sensor weakens and the float does not make jull contact and the alarm goes off. However, the sensor is built into the tank so you have to replace the whole thing instead of just the sensor !! I don't know which connection to check, but I'll bet YouTube does, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Could be a but if it is newer than the thingmajigger needs whacked with a hammer. Not just any hammer, a BFH. And hit it until it stops beeping.

But if it's a Yamaha, check the Poppit valve

I would think the 9.9 on the Ranger Z520 may be redlining as it pushes the rig. Could be that, or the thingamajig attached to the whatchamacallit is broken, and in that case the whosiwhatsit is 120hrs of labor to replace. good Luck!
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

Sorry for the delay, it is the Holidays.

Motor is a 1998 Yamaha VMAX 200

I tried that wmitch2. I pulled out the float while the alarm was sounding and it didn't fix it. Nor when I unplugged it.

**UPDATE**
    The weather has been really shitty in the PNW but I finally got it out on the water after just recently changing the sensor wires. Unfortunately, I still have the alarm. GRRRRR. I left the boat ramp and jumped up on plane and went down river about 5 miles. Ran like a raped ape!!. Then i idled for a few minutes checking out my side imaging on a spot I discovered. NO ALARM. I was thinking that I fixed it. Then about 35 minutes later, I decided to head back to launch. Jumped up on plan and ran it back, got about 2 miles into the 5 mile trip and it SOUNDED. rpm's dropped, took water over the back. I was pissed. I went ahead and shifted in and out of gear about 10 times and then it quick. I jumped on plane and headed back.
    I was able to get back to the launch and when I slowed down, i heard a few knocks in the engine that didn't sound too pretty, so I shut it down. Started right back up and ran just fine. Need help. The F'n sucks!!

Probably temp sensor has debris in it.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

17. Member
    It always astounds me at how people just throw expensive parts at something trying to fix it and risk blowing a motor. The money spent on "guessing" could be put towards a mechanic that has the tools and resources to fix it properly. The risk of blowing an engine by continually running it while you guess at the problem is sounding like a soon be expensive lesson ( i heard a few knocks in the engine that didn't sound too pretty).

18. BBC SPONSOR
    You might take a look at the water tube fitting on the lower unit to be sure it is not cracked and losing water pressure when up and running when more pressure is on it than there is at idle. Also as much of the tube as you can see in the midsection. When the engine backs down and is at idle it may be cooling down enough to silence the alarm. You get back on plane, water pressure drops , alarm goes off again. May not be but sounds as if you have checked everything else. Just a thought. Good luck One other , Have you made any motor height adjustments lately. Be sure engine is not to high and losing flow to water pickups when on plane.
    Randy Carter
    Customer Service Manager
    Angler's Choice Marine
    276-632-5600
    www.anglerschoicemarine.com

Update....My mechanic found the exhaust/water plate had blown out. needed to replace the gasket. He said its common amungst these engines. Basically pressure was building up not allowing the water to reach the top cylinders which in turn causing the alarm to sound and shut engine down. It since has been fixed, fished out of and traded in for a brand new phoenix. Wow, this boat is unreal!!!

20. Member
    Glad you found the problem and congrats on the new boat!
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast