Coosa river chain

Im wanting to make a trip and fish some of the coosa river chain lakes for big spots, what is the best time of year for numbers and size? Which lakes are better ? Any info would be much appreciated!

This time of year all the way to April is when I catch my biggest fish and descent numbers. I usually fish Mitchell Jordan and the river.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

3. Dogfish_Jones
    You can catch a lot of spots on Logan Martin. Not the real big ones but plenty of them. Right now the drawn down is 5' and there are some nice rocky points next to a channel they are hanging tight on. If you are lucky you can hook a 4 pounder or so.
    Lay Lake you might can catch the bigger spots but not as many. Neely Henry.....hit and miss, well for me that is. I might go and have a great day and go the next and miss everything but the branches on tree limbs.

4. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    You are going to get answers up and down the Coosa.
    In my opinion, Weiss Lake is your best bet, and this time of year is best for big spots.
    2015 Nitro Z8
    2015 Mercury Optimax 250
    2019 Chevy Silverado

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coosa Redeye View Post
    You are going to get answers up and down the Coosa.
    In my opinion, Weiss Lake is your best bet, and this time of year is best for big spots.
    This and be careful driving around. If you have never been on Weiss at winter pool, it's can be scary.

6. Member
    i might recommend fishing lower end of bankhead lake or holt or even olivers pool. These are warrior river lakes but you have a better chance at a 6 plus spot.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithlakebass View Post
    i might recommend fishing lower end of bankhead lake or holt or even olivers pool. These are warrior river lakes but you have a better chance at a 6 plus spot.
    I considered the warrior, have had a difficult time finding lodging down there and numerous people kinda warned me of that being a rough area with theft and crime with it being so rural.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    I considered the warrior, have had a difficult time finding lodging down there and numerous people kinda warned me of that being a rough area with theft and crime with it being so rural.
    Stay in jasper..plenty of hotels and only a 20 minute drive or so to the northern end of lake 30 or so to fish lower end. I fish the river regularly and never had issues with break ins. I wouldnt launch at any of the private ramps. If it were me i would stay in jasper and launch at franklin ferrys or howtons. Your stuff will be safe there. Far jasper any of the hotels will be safe to stay.