Side image picture

My side image picture is very poor on my front unit. Console has great picture. Just curious if it’s scratchs on my transducer causing it. I have a picture but can’t get it to load.
    James Simmons (985)870-0201
    Stanford Baits Pro Staff Gambler Lures Pro staff Vector Hooks Pro staff Enigma rods pro staff
    P-line Pro Staff. Amphibia Eyegear Pro staff TH Marine Pro staff
    Woo!Tungsten Pro Staff Hoo-rag Pro Staff Sublime Wear Pro staff Crusher Lures Pro staff

Can trolling motor interference cause this? My front unit is a Helix 10 SI and my console unit is a 1197.
    Stanford Baits Pro Staff Gambler Lures Pro staff Vector Hooks Pro staff Enigma rods pro staff
    Woo!Tungsten Pro Staff Hoo-rag Pro Staff Sublime Wear Pro staff Crusher Lures Pro staff

3. Member
    are you at different speeds in the water? My TM side image only really works well when I am moving at a good clip, like you would when idling with the big motor...
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    are you at different speeds in the water? My TM side image only really works well when I am moving at a good clip, like you would when idling with the big motor...

If you have a Humminbird with Side Imaging you should get very good images from near Zero mph to about 12 mph. All you need is some movement so the SI pulses can scan and a Chart Speed that closely matches the GPS speed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Without a picture it’s hard to interpret what the issue is. For me I run about the same settings in both places EXCEPT I usually only run the chart speed at 1-3 at the bow depending on how fast I’m working the trolling motor. You should be able to get as good of image as the console unit.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

So is it possible i have the chart speed too slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Ugabassangler View Post
    So is it possible i have the chart speed too slow?
    If you set it much slower than the GPS speed, the recorded images will be compressed or no images of small stuff at all.
    Stuff will only be recorded when within the very thin front to back sonar pulse.
    Just the opposite if the chart speed is more than the GPS speed. BUT faster has a benefit of expanding the images so you can see fish in brush/cover better.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you set it much slower than the GPS speed, the recorded images will be compressed or no images of small stuff at all.
    Stuff will only be recorded when within the very thin front to back sonar pulse.
    Just the opposite if the chart speed is more than the GPS speed. BUT faster has a benefit of expanding the images so you can see fish in brush/cover better.
    Thanks for your help. I'll see what i have it set on.

Thanks for all your input! Chart speed was set on 8. Changed it to 2 and adjusted the contrast and sensitivity. Now have a great picture.