Question Leaf Springs - 3 to 4 Leaf Swap

Okay I initially posted this on the Phoenix board but then realized there was this board, duh.

Earlier this year I broke a spring on my rear axle, at night, in the rain, 50 miles from home. No damage to the trailer, just a lot of cussing in replacing the spring.

So I decided before I go running up and down the highways in East Texas next year I would change out all of my springs. I wanted to get rid of the Gatorhyde covered ones.

Soooooo, I contact Marine Master and it was suggested I go with a 4 leaf as opposed to the 3 leaf that came on the trailer. I had that done, after a bit of a hiccup on the equalizers, I took it to the lake today. I chose a ramp with a pretty sharp transition from the parking area to the ramp, and well the dad gum tires rubbed! Dang it.

I really am not sure what to do next, maybe spend the money on labor and go back to 3 leaf, I don't know.

I thought about dropping down to a 205 tire, but mine are in good shape and I don't want to run a smaller tire.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

And have a Merry Christmas!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Tires rubbed where? Did the new springs have the same eye to eye length as the old ones?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Catfan, they do have the same length. Tires rubbed on top of fender, clearance is tight. I'm leaning towards the 4 leaf having less drop.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Ed. I went to the four leaf springs also after one of mine broke too. I used all the existing parts and seems I got a little more tire clearance which is another reason I’m sticking with the OEM tire size if 215. Is something too tight keeping the springs from movement? Your situation seems strange.

And Merry Christmas to you and your family.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Can't understand why your tires rubbed on a 4 leaf but didn't on a 3 leaf. The 4 leaf should have given you MORE clearance, not less. However, you may be able to get it to work by placing a 1 1/2 or 2" block (Steel) under the bottom of the spring between the axle, thereby lifting the spring higher off the axle.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Ok. I’ll tell on myself...I initially ordered 1000 lb springs because I didn’t read the web site description correctly. Most sites sell them by spring capacity. The site I bought my first ones from listed them per TOTAL axle weight. So I thought I was buying 2000# springs which would make it a 4000# axle. Nope. I installed the 1000# springs making it a 2000# axle and flattened them in no time cause my tires to rub the fender. The original springs are 3- leaf 1500# making it a 3000# axle. Marine master said they went to a 4 leaf.
    Did you order smaller springs?

I ordered UNA-051 springs

heres a good link to leaf spring sizes

http://www.theuniversalgroup.com/LIT...nt%20Guide.pdf

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Quote Originally Posted by TX721 View Post
    Ok. I’ll tell on myself...I initially ordered 1000 lb springs because I didn’t read the web site description correctly. Most sites sell them by spring capacity. The site I bought my first ones from listed them per TOTAL axle weight. So I thought I was buying 2000# springs which would make it a 4000# axle. Nope. I installed the 1000# springs making it a 2000# axle and flattened them in no time cause my tires to rub the fender. The original springs are 3- leaf 1500# making it a 3000# axle. Marine master said they went to a 4 leaf.
    Did you order smaller springs?

I ordered UNA-051 springs

heres a good link to leaf spring sizes

http://www.theuniversalgroup.com/LIT...nt%20Guide.pdf

Yep, that would cause the loss in height and then allow the tires to rub !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    Maybe a picture would help. Also, did you make sure the axle was mounted in the correct position, some have the axle above the spring some below the spring.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    It came down to a combination of the wrong equalizer and shackles, that they originally sold me. So after 3 trips, I am good to go.
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34