Best Nebraska lake for bass?

OK enough about Iowa what is the best lake in Nebraska for catching quality and numbers of bass. For me my vote goes to Lake Wanahoo. There are a lot of bass over 18 inches but I've yet to catch one over 20. Looking to fish some different lakes this spring so what is your go to lake for quality sized bass.
    John the Garage Doorman

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Burchard!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Banned
    Numbers wise, I agree Wanahoo is by far the best. It's up there for best average size too. Most every bass there is chunky like they are at Green Valley but I don't feel that there is a big population of 5+lb bass in Wanahoo compared to other lakes. Cunningham by far, had the biggest population of big bass in the state but we all know the fate that lake is suffering.

I'd probably choose Carter Lake or Summit for the best lake where you can catch numbers and some true pigs. I've been able to catch a 23lb limit out of Carter before.

Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Numbers wise, I agree Wanahoo is by far the best. It's up there for best average size too. Most every bass there is chunky like they are at Green Valley but I don't feel that there is a big population of 5+lb bass in Wanahoo compared to other lakes. Cunningham by far, had the biggest population of big bass in the state but we all know the fate that lake is suffering.

I'd probably choose Carter Lake or Summit for the best lake where you can catch numbers and some true pigs. I've been able to catch a 23lb limit out of Carter before.
    My Nebraska bass fishing experience is very limited but I would pick Carter over Wanahoo. Strictly for the average size. It's nothing to catch 18 pounds at Carter. Then again, that lake is so fickle that I can go there and completely whiff under the exact same conditions.

I need to get out and try more lakes in NE. So far, I've really only put time into Carter and Walnut Creek. Both have been with some very mixed results.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

5. Member
    Never been to CarterLake, I've always heard it was another Manawa. Summit over the last 3 to 4 years has really gone down hill. Yes Jim you keep saying Burchard I hope it fishes better this spring then last year.
    John the Garage Doorman

6. Member
    I fish wannawho a lot and so does the rest of the Eastern part of the state....it really got hammered this year and the green algae at the end of the year was insane. I live across from wherespan and it is fishing better but no toads.....it may be the fisherman though

If I could get my boat in on of those sand pit lakes I bet there are some nice ones that a guy could catch

C4F

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Never been to CarterLake, I've always heard it was another Manawa. Summit over the last 3 to 4 years has really gone down hill. Yes Jim you keep saying Burchard I hope it fishes better this spring then last year.
    Isnt carter lake considered a iowa lake? Lol

Anyways first time fishing it this yr and ill be making more trips

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trx5Trx510r View Post
    Isnt carter lake considered a iowa lake? Lol

Anyways first time fishing it this yr and ill be making more trips
    Most of the lake is actually on the Nebraska side.

When you say it's another Manawa, its similar in that it's a shallow oxbow with no contours and lots of pleasure boaters. The fishing is 10x better. That lake turns on after a heavy rain. The water rises over the good shoreline cover making it some hot and heavy action in the flooded cover

Carter was really bad to me in 2018. I don't think I ever caught more than 2-3 bass in a day there the few times I went. It was amazing for me last year though. in 2019, I intend to really spend more time on a couple of different Omaha area lakes and then see what the lakes around Lincoln have to offer.

BTW, my days off typically fall during a week day. If anyone else has the same problem and wants to hop in the boat with me, the offer is always open.
    26P Tempest

10. Member
    Years ago the Salt Valley lakes Bluestem, Conestoga, Wagon Train, Olive Creek, Yankee Hill, Pawnee, and Branched Oak were the good producers. That was in the late 60's and through to the 80's. I grew up on those lakes but after i Moved from Lincoln i have not been back to them so don't have a clue anymore. Also some of the hottest lakes were the sand pits between Lincoln and Grand Island. Walnut Creek was always good, that is where i first met Denny Brauer before he was famous.

I live across Giles from Wehrspahn also and had some really good days there this past year with quite a few over 5. Burchard is by far the best in my opinion for size. Prairie Queen has been pretty good for numbers this last year for me and also have gotten a couple over 5 there. Biggest problem is these lakes are always pressured. Weekends obviously are the worst but the weekdays are catching up quick!!

I have had days on Carter that were really good days. I had several days last year where the fishing just stunk. Had one day the second dock we hit 2 of us boated 12-13 bass off of one dock. We preceded to start fishing other docks, we fished almost the lenght of the lake and never got another hit. Went back to that one dock and boated a few more fish. Very strange.

Cunningham, I have fished it a lot the last 2 years. 2016 was really good. Last year started out great, July and the algae moved. In and the fishing slowed. Picked up some nice walleye a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    I live across Giles from Wehrspahn also and had some really good days there this past year with quite a few over 5. Burchard is by far the best in my opinion for size. Prairie Queen has been pretty good for numbers this last year for me and also have gotten a couple over 5 there. Biggest problem is these lakes are always pressured. Weekends obviously are the worst but the weekdays are catching up quick!!
    I'm convinced that the bass in the metro lakes know whether its a weekend or week day! I've even noticed that the best looking spot on the lake will likely suck if it also has good shoreline access. I moved here from North Dakota where the bass are completely unpressured due to literally everyone focusing on walleye. I'm talking about the bass being so dumb that they would attack a spinnerbait like they had never seen one! It has been quite the eye opener to move to where there are actually bass anglers and smart bass.
    26P Tempest

I hear ya! Half the time I won't even go out on the weekends around the Metro unless the wife wants to get out. I try to head out of town but even the "out of the way" lakes are getting crowded on the weekends