Finally saw an Ultrex in person...foot pedal platform is super short!

I couldn’t believe how short the foot pedal was. I’ve got size 14 shoes so it’s a non-starter for me. I was all set to get an Ultrex until I placed my foot on that pedal. Although the one I tried wasn’t powered, I also couldn’t help but think that you’d hear a little electronic servo motor every time you steered. Ultrex owners-Does it?

I’m so disappointed in the current trolling motor market. All I want is a new and improved MG Tour Edition with my metal pedal! I may have to check out the latest MG trolling motor again to see if the pedal will work for me.

i am sure the spot lock feature on the Ultrex would have been extremely useful but man that friggin plastic short pedal! Anyone else with larger feet feel this way about the pedal?
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I dont have a 14 foot but 11.5 and no issues.....heck i sold my MG Tour, only thing i liked about the Tour was the metal pedal as i could stand and put weight on it while fishing....but all the features that the Ultrex has beats the metal in my opinion.....to be able to put it on constant and go straight down the bank and not have to control it or spot lock it in place is sweet....i guess if you keep your foot on it non stop that could be an issue for some as yourself......each to his own.....

I think you will see that majority will be positive for the Ultrex no matter the size of the pedal....just my opinion.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I have a size 14 foot and go about 275 pounds, no issue at all with the pedal or anything else with the Ultrex. It has been one solid piece of equipment. No noise. You should go out and try one on the water before prejudging one fine piece of equipment.

4. Member
    Good luck with the MotorGuide. I have had had several of them over the past 20 years. Each of them was in the shop at least 3 to 4 time per year for all types of failures. Finally tried the Fortrex five years ago. That motor never saw the shop or had any type of issue. Got the Ultrex mainly for the spot lock. The Fortrex is still in great shape and was given to someone who not afford to replace his broken MotorGuide.

5. Member
    Oh I’m not denying the Ultrex GPS features and how awesome they are. And I agree-everyone on BBC that has written about the Ultrex seems to have nothing but positive things to say about it. That’s why I was ready to buy one. But that foot pedal-man it seems like a baby pedal to me, lol! I just don’t know if I’d like it. And I don’t expect for the kind of fishing I do to just set a course and let it do it’s thing. I would totally use spot lock though.

Good idea about seeing if someone could let me test drive one before I buy. I’m sure I can find someone that lives near me with an Ultrex. also good to hear there is no significant servo electric motor noise when using it.

Regarding the MG Tour....man, mines been bulletproof. It’s been abused beyond belief and it keeps kicking. It’s developed a creaking noise in the shaft, but it’s 10 years old and gets tons of use. I really like it but it’s tired. I need another one. Fortrex is also a possibility but I may need to also check out that pedal. The store also had an Edge and that pedal was a bit longer than the Ultrex. Go figure.

6. Member
    The steering motor does make a loud whine, and the steering is jerky compared to MotorGuide, but after a while you will get used to it and it's a non-issue.

I went from the Tour to the X5 to the Ultrex. The first time you spot lock you will not want to go back. That, and the ease of deployment/storage. Also, the power is deceptive, it flat pulls.

7. Member
    I think the issue may be that it's just not what you're accustomed to. Once you get used to it, you'll love it. I would never have another boat without an Ultrex!
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    I couldn’t believe how short the foot pedal was. I’ve got size 14 shoes so it’s a non-starter for me. I was all set to get an Ultrex until I placed my foot on that pedal. Although the one I tried wasn’t powered, I also couldn’t help but think that you’d hear a little electronic servo motor every time you steered. Ultrex owners-Does it?

I’m so disappointed in the current trolling motor market. All I want is a new and improved MG Tour Edition with my metal pedal! I may have to check out the latest MG trolling motor again to see if the pedal will work for me.

i am sure the spot lock feature on the Ultrex would have been extremely useful but man that friggin plastic short pedal! Anyone else with larger feet feel this way about the pedal?
    I have an Ultrex and two Motor Guide Tours, the Tour foot pedal is about 3/4" longer than the Ultrex foot pedal where your foot contacts.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I have an Ultrex and two Motor Guide Tours, the Tour foot pedal is about 3/4" longer than the Ultrex foot pedal where your foot contacts.
    My boat is currently in storage for the winter, so I was wondering exactly what the difference was so thank you. It felt like a pretty big difference to me-guessing even though it’s only 3/4” the fact it’s shorter at all makes quite a difference to my feet.

i do just need to try it out. Interesting that some folks say the motor is loud when it’s turning and some say it’s quite or makes almost no noise.

If you're going from a Motor Guide metal pedal and you're a guy, like I used to be, where you stand all day with your foot on the pedal you will soon become accustomed to the ease of the pedal on the Ultrex. It stears super easy so you'll need to learn only to put your foot on the pedal when you want to turn. I took me a few times to learn I didn't need to use the pedal as part of my "Balance" and only when I need to move. I think it won't take you long to get used to the pedal size. I'm only a 10, so it wasn't any problem for me. You will LOVE the Ultrex, for many, many reasons !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkertx3 View Post
    The steering motor does make a loud whine, and the steering is jerky compared to MotorGuide, but after a while you will get used to it and it's a non-issue.

I went from the Tour to the X5 to the Ultrex. The first time you spot lock you will not want to go back. That, and the ease of deployment/storage. Also, the power is deceptive, it flat pulls.
    I've never experienced either a motor whine or jerky steering with my Ultrex. Very intuitive straight out of the box.

12. Lake Moultrie & Marion basser201's Avatar
    With autopilot you well hardly use the foot controller...lol
    2013 Triton 19XS 2013 Mercury 200 pro xs
    Cancer= 3/2017 back at it again to kick it's a@@

13. Member
    The footpedal (foot part) is the same size as the Fortrex, Maxxum, Edge -- but a difference design. The base is wider due to switches on top of the base. If steering is set correctly, it's not jerky. There is a small motor whine as it steers, coming from the electric steering motor in the steering module. All electric steer motors do this. After about 3 or 4 minutes, unless you're listening for it, you don't here is.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I came from a Maxxum to the Ultrex, and I agree with John 100%!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The footpedal (foot part) is the same size as the Fortrex, Maxxum, Edge -- but a difference design. The base is wider due to switches on top of the base.
    John
    john, are you sure the pedal base length is the same across all of these MK foot pedals? I measured the foot pedal base on an Edge and compared it to the Ultrex-the Ultrex was at least 1/2” shorter (actually looked more like 3/4”)

maybe i meaured incorrectly though.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    john, are you sure the pedal base length is the same across all of these MK foot pedals? I measured the foot pedal base on an Edge and compared it to the Ultrex-the Ultrex was at least 1/2” shorter (actually looked more like 3/4”)

maybe i meaured incorrectly though.
    Not what I said. Re read. The "footpedal" is but the base is wider due to the switches. Length should be the same. It (Ultrex) uses the same holes (hole pattern) to mount the footpedal as the Edge/Maxxum/Fortrex.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

17. Member
    Sorry John. I think I confused the matter. What I was saying was the Ultrex pedal itself (the part your foot touches and moves on the pedal assembly) was shorter on than the Edge pedal. In other words, my foot hangs over the top end of the pedal more on the Ultrex than on the MK Edge.

we are now on the same page.

Troll alert activated!