Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Anyone Speak to the 15' Talons?

I may be getting a pair of Talons if my Christmas windfall is large enough. Has anyone purchased and used the 15-footers? Height is not really an issue, as i have 10' tall garage doors. These will go on my 2016 Ranger Z518 (non C). I'm looking for reviews of good, mediocre, bad. Thanks in advance.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

2. Member
    I think weight on the back may be an issue. Buddy has same boat but a pro xs 150 and a single 10ft talon. Put some sand bags on the back of the boat the same weight of the talons and brackets and go out on the lake. It will give you an idea how it will perform. I'm runnin dual 12s and It changed the feel of my boat up. Even when just fishing.

3. Member
    Thanks, Bb.

4. Member
    Weights the only factor plan on buying a new prop
    Nitro z21

5. Member
    So would 12-footers be that much better all the way around? I'm thinking that if I'm going to get a pair, then why not those that achieve the greatest depth? My prop is a Revolution 4 857028A46 21P RH...thanks for good info...

6. Member
    Really love my 12 ft talons, but they WILL affect holeshot
    I have installed a holeshot plate, and holeshot is acceptable but with livewells full and a partner in boat it is a slow process. Have not worked or replaced prop, but that is my next project !

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Have you thought about Power Poles? nearly half the weight for a duel setup compared to Talons. No need for re propping, minimal effects on performance. Weight is also more balanced compared to all on the transom. Customer service is far superior to Johnson Outdoors. Do you run an Ultrex? if so, not much need for anything over 8 foot IMO. Shallow water anchors are supposed to be shallow..

8. Member
    Thanks kandk. At this time, I'm only interested in talons, thank you.

9. Member
    I am only 1.5hrs from you and have a set of red 12ft Talons for sale if you were interested. They are red.

10. Member
    I have the 15s. Had them for over a year and use them all the time. Weight will be your problem. 150lbs or so for a duel set up with tilt brackets. So a little less if you dont need the tilt brackets. I also just got a baileys foil for mine and it helped the holeshot a LOT. Pretty much back to where it was before I got them. So I recommend getting that if you go with anything over 10s.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    Thanks kandk. At this time, I'm only interested in talons, thank you.
    FTO Marine Bassman25 on BBC will be happy to help you out then!

12. Member
    I'm not a speed demon, but would like to get on plane as well as I do now...I won't be getting a new trolling motor so I'm thinking dual setup as I don't want to spin like a top.

Kandk,
    Should I lean toward PPs later I'll reach out to you. Thanks for the Bassman25 tip!

13. Member
    I think getting a baileys foil will help you greatly with holeshot but if it's still lacking a little you could get some prop work to get it back. Definitely get with bassman25, that's who I got mine from and that's who i will get the next stuff from.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I think getting a baileys foil will help you greatly with holeshot but if it's still lacking a little you could get some prop work to get it back. Definitely get with bassman25, that's who I got mine from and that's who i will get the next stuff from.
    A cbaily's foil will be a huge help with holeshot. Most people will switch to a 4 blade if they are having holeshot issues. Typically this will help but the trade off is a 4 blade is typically a tad slower than a 3 blade in most cases. When adding a foil you can keep 3 blade top end performance and still get your holeshot improved via a foil. Now when talking hydrofoil the first thing that comes into most people's mind is a ugly whale tail of plastic hanging off the back of their motor. Well I'm here to tell you there has been HUGE improvements in design and style since the days of the old foil. Chris Bailey makes one that is stainless steel and can be powder coated to color match your boat or motor. It does not hang off the back of the motor. It is mounted so the wings are on the side of the cavatation plate. He can also cut out custom logos to match you boat/motor. His foils are not ugly. Some say they actually look so nice they add a bling factor to your boat...but the main thing is they REALLY improve your holeshot. Even if a person does not have Talons or Power Poles they could benefit from having a foil if they wanted the absolutely best hole shot they can have.

There is several pictures of the cbaily foil in the link I am going to provide. For the OP's Mercury 4 stroke the foil in reply #16 would look good on a Mercury 4 stroke. Scroll through and check them out...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....316&highlight=
    Last edited by JR19; 12-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Have you thought about Power Poles? nearly half the weight for a duel setup compared to Talons. No need for re propping, minimal effects on performance. Weight is also more balanced compared to all on the transom. Customer service is far superior to Johnson Outdoors. Do you run an Ultrex? if so, not much need for anything over 8 foot IMO. Shallow water anchors are supposed to be shallow..
    Do they make 15 footers now?

16. Member
    The function, features, install and reliability will be the same for each model as they're all currently 3 stage and Bluetooth. If you run Humminbird units, you'll appreciate the extra integration by the way. You're main decison will simply be the depth preferred which changes the size and weight of the Talon itself on the transom.

Myself, I run 10 footers each season as I find them a great compromise per size and costs. I also use my Ultrex in deeper water, though at times, the silence and no movement of the Talon would help in deeper water.

Good luck and enjoy whichever size you choose to go with.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retieoften View Post
    Do they make 15 footers now?
    does who?

18. BBC SPONSOR
    I see your original post mentioned you have a 518 (non-C). This boat is similar in size to the RT198P that I had and since sold. The added weight in the back of the boat will not affect your top end much at all. What it does do is make your boat sit more nose high in the water. you will also notice that your hole shot will suffer some as well, not bad. The 15' models are nice to have an perfect if you want to fish deeper and hold your place. Its all personal preference between talons and power poles. Both are great products, we sell talons but I have bought power poles as well to try for myself (Thanks K&K). Both products have unique attributes as well and both work like they were designed.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    we sell talons but I have bought power poles as well to try for myself (Thanks K&K). Both products have unique attributes as well and both work like they were designed.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    does who?
    power pole, is what you were suggesting

Clearly HALF the weight for HALF the depth unless your saying there are 15 footers from power pole now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast