Thread: best rod blank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

best rod blank

A couple of threads have gotten me wondering ..... so a question for the rod builders here.

If you wanted to build the most sensitive rod you could, what blank would you build it on? I'm not interested in any "for the money" or "the best bang for your buck" kind of stuff. Plain and simple.

The most sensitive blank you have built on.

For me (and I haven't completed the build yet) it's an HM X ray blank from North Fork Composites.

2. Member
    I would go into my stockpile and grab a Shikari. If i had to order one it would be St Croix or Northfork Composites or a Batson not a lot of difference in those three for me. There are a couple others i have not tried yet.

Ford VS Chevy. I have not built a ton. I've used MHX the most but I like Mudhole and thats what they push a lot. You may look a Point Blank also they seemed to have great tip action and lite blanks.

4. Member
    I have some rods that are St. Croix. They were blanks but a guy fixed em up for me. I love em.

5. Member
    It’s a custom rod you buy what suits your needs or wants. I wouldn’t compromise what I wanted just because one company may have a more sensitive blank.

If you found a blank that was what you wanted a HM north forks blank would be likely the best. But certain companies have certain blanks that just have that it factor.
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    Thanks for the responses so far guys.

D.O.C. I've seen the name Shikari mentioned numerous times on Rodbuilding.org, always with glowing praise. Sounds like it's a shame they don't make them anymore.

basscat, I've heard people talk about the Point Blank, blanks. Like you said it's a Ford v Chevy kind of thing. Everyone that's used them loves them, but I have seen people say that they felt other blanks like the Rainshadow Eternity2 and the NFC HMs to name a couple, were more sensitive.

Zman, yes I have heard very good things as far as super sensitive blanks from the St Croix, SCV and SCIV blanks. If they ever change the blank colors, I'd like to give them a try.

JasonG, you're right, we do build to what suits our needs. If ultimate sensitivity isn't needed, there's no reason to use a blank that is touted for having it. I mean how much sensitivity do you need for a topwater bait? And I know even the most sensitive blank may not be the best blank. You can have the most sensitive blank made, but if it won't stand up to use, what good is it?

And as far as certain blanks having the "it" factor. I couldn't agree more. The Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH, is such a blank. It makes for one wicked flipping and pitching rod.

7. Member
    If you want a croix blank the rod geek blanks are very good and you can get them raw
    Nitro z21

8. Goby King
    St Croix SCV or Rainshadow Eternity would be my go-to. Actually, they are my go-to. Working on eliminating everything but SCV from my arsenal.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    Ford VS Chevy. I have not built a ton. I've used MHX the most but I like Mudhole and thats what they push a lot. You may look a Point Blank also they seemed to have great tip action and lite blanks.
    Same here.

10. Member
    For me I'd say probably the regular NFC HM's are the most sensitive but then I've only built two Xrays so far. I think more sensitive actually than the Shikari HM were. Croix SCV's are way up there too. All that being said I'd rather build on a Hydra Ng personally (or the blanks they build ALX Enox on, you've got to call Alex to get one of those). I like those better because they're a great combo of sensitivity and strength. I've abused the sh!t out of Hydra FL4's and they've held up.

11. Member
    Havent tried the Hydra yet, but considering building on one for an upcoming Neko Rig rod.

12. Member
    Point Blank

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogsticker View Post
    Point Blank
    What do you think the best Point Blank model would be for a flip stick? I've only built on two, 691MLXF and 701MF. The 7'6" MH and H blanks seem to only be available in XF and I'd typically prefer ModF but then you never really know until you've got one in your hand. Also, unless it's a typo on GetBit the lure ratings jump from 1/2-1 1/4 for MH to 2-5 for H...that seems odd to me.

I can't pick one. I get a good feel from so many the MHX HM's, SCV, Eternity's, Point Blank. My favorite so far has been the Point Blank's. I haven't tried the North Fork yet but hope to this year.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    What do you think the best Point Blank model would be for a flip stick? I've only built on two, 691MLXF and 701MF. The 7'6" MH and H blanks seem to only be available in XF and I'd typically prefer ModF but then you never really know until you've got one in your hand. Also, unless it's a typo on GetBit the lure ratings jump from 1/2-1 1/4 for MH to 2-5 for H...that seems odd to me.

The numbers for those always seem to be a bit off so I go straight to point blanks site to view the specs. There was one that was listed as fast action on mudhole that was actually supposed to be XF per the manufacturer website. IDK Just something I found.

16. Member
    Not sure which one from Point Blank, but I love my Bushido blank I built for pitching. The CB72 or CB78 are awesome blanks for this presentation. They are Mod-Fast action as well... Now I know they are not Point Blank's, but I have done really well with these blanks. Absolutely love them overall. Now that being said it's not the best blank on the market, but it's one heck of a performer in this application and half the money

Haven't built any...but have several that were built for me. All on Rainshadow blanks and they are the best rods I have in my locker. Second best is my Megabass Lavante & Diawa Elites.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

18. Member
    Lots of great blanks - depends on lots of things.

19. Member
    Phenix K2, Eternity 2, Point blank for me.

K2 is still on my build list to try. Definitely interested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast