Thread: best rod blank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Some really good participation. Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks guys. A lot of people mentioning the Point Blanks, and a lot of people on Rodbuilding.org give them high praise as well. Looks like I'm going to have to give them a try. My problem is I only build for myself, and I'm running out of factory rods to replace.

I really want to give the Eternity2's from Rainshadow a try. I've built on 3 Immortal blanks from Rainshadow and I absolutely love them. In fact, if a person were building a pitching and flipping rod, I think they'd be hard pressed to find a better blank than the Immortal IMMC72MH. It goes back to what JasonG said earlier, the most sensitive isn't always the best, and the Immortal 72MH isn't the most sensitive blank, (it lives next door though) but it has that "it factor". A combination of sensitivity, power, action and durability that IMO would be extremely hard to beat. It is a wicked blank.

Not to hijack but since you brought up the immortals. Has anybody found some cool color combos for them? That's always my biggest hang up even though they are great blanks.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Some really good participation. Exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks guys. A lot of people mentioning the Point Blanks, and a lot of people on Rodbuilding.org give them high praise as well. Looks like I'm going to have to give them a try. My problem is I only build for myself, and I'm running out of factory rods to replace.

I really want to give the Eternity2's from Rainshadow a try. I've built on 3 Immortal blanks from Rainshadow and I absolutely love them. In fact, if a person were building a pitching and flipping rod, I think they'd be hard pressed to find a better blank than the Immortal IMMC72MH. It goes back to what JasonG said earlier, the most sensitive isn't always the best, and the Immortal 72MH isn't the most sensitive blank, (it lives next door though) but it has that "it factor". A combination of sensitivity, power, action and durability that IMO would be extremely hard to beat. It is a wicked blank.
    I'll probably give some of the heavier Point Blanks a look this winter but for me the 691MLXF is the best dropshot blank I've built on. I prefer it over both NFC HM and IM DS rods I've built and over the SC SCV M and ML XF...and yeah, if anyone is wondering I've built way too many rods on way too many different blanks.

haven't built on every blank made, so for that reason i'm out

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    Not to hijack but since you brought up the immortals. Has anybody found some cool color combos for them? That's always my biggest hang up even though they are great blanks.
    Gudebrod 206 Garnett regular size A nylon with no color preserver and copper, silver, or gold metallic trimbands.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I'll probably give some of the heavier Point Blanks a look this winter but for me the 691MLXF is the best dropshot blank I've built on. I prefer it over both NFC HM and IM DS rods I've built and over the SC SCV M and ML XF...and yeah, if anyone is wondering I've built way too many rods on way too many different blanks.
    I'm very fond of the drop shot rod I built on an NFC DS6107 IM blank . Nice and sensitive, but honestly it doesn't have the backbone I was hoping it would. If you have knowledge of the DS6107 blank I speak of, how would you say the 691 you mentioned stacks up, backbone wise, versus the NFC blank. I use fluorocarbon as my main line on spinning gear, so that's something to consider. For me braid with a fluorocarbon leader is out of the question. I don't like braid on spinning gear.

7. Member
    All the Immortals I've built on have the same guide wraps. Black size A main thread. Silver metallic trim band (3 turns) and a gold metallic (2 turns) in the middle of the wraps. The guides are polished SS Fuji LN and L guides with Alconite rings.

8. Goby King
    I'm very fond of the drop shot rod I built on an NFC DS6107 IM blank . Nice and sensitive, but honestly it doesn't have the backbone.....
    Yeah. That thing is a noodle. Every fish feels like a 5 pounder.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Yeah. That thing is a noodle. Every fish feels like a 5 pounder.
    Yeah, it pretty much is a noodle. It's the first blank I've built on that had the DS designation in the blank number. I really like the light tip of the 6107. I was actually hoping for it, but I was expecting more of a spin jig blank kind of power curve. Light tip with good backbone, and I have heard the Point Blanks that will mentioned, have exactly that.

If I don't go with the Point Blank, it will be an Eternity2 610MXF. I have heard nothing but rave reviews in relationship to the Eternity blanks.

As a side note ... the rod I built on the 6107 is thus far working out quite nicely for the Ned Rig.

10. Member
    I'm very fond of the drop shot rod I built on an NFC DS6107 IM blank . Nice and sensitive, but honestly it doesn't have the backbone I was hoping it would. If you have knowledge of the DS6107 blank I speak of, how would you say the 691 you mentioned stacks up, backbone wise, versus the NFC blank. I use fluorocarbon as my main line on spinning gear, so that's something to consider. For me braid with a fluorocarbon leader is out of the question. I don't like braid on spinning gear.
    All of the NFC DS blanks I've built were on the DS760-1 (IM and HM), I think I left one at 7'6" and cut the other down to 7'. I like them for playing around but don't use them for tournaments. The one that I left at 7'6" has become a nice ned rig rod though, I think I gave the 7 footer to my dad for panfishing. The Point Blank has a good bit more backbone IMO, that's my go to DS rod.

I'm a braid to flouro guy for DS but I use straight 6lb tatsu for Ned Rigs. Either way, the NFC DS blanks just don't have any power. Comparing the PB to a spin jig blank with a DS tip would be accurate.

Well I've been trying to post a picture but cant seem to do it. I did an immortal when they first came out with pro wrap color fast in olive with a gold metallic trim wrap and it turned out really nice.

12. Goby King
    Not to hijack but since you brought up the immortals. Has anybody found some cool color combos for them?
    Are those the Tichrome finish ones?

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Are those the Tichrome finish ones?

yep

14. Goby King
    yep
    My favorite on that color is ProWrap silver shiner nylon without CP. It goes completely transparent and blends with the blank. Looks like there's no thread at all.

Nice I like doing that with the rod geeks white blanks and white nylon thread

16. Member
    After getting my NFC X RAY built today... this blank. Side by side it blows my st croix legend tournaments away in sensitivity. You can tap the ceiling with it and HEAR the sound through the graphite.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    After getting my NFC X RAY built today... this blank. Side by side it blows my st croix legend tournaments away in sensitivity. You can tap the ceiling with it and HEAR the sound through the graphite.
    On my list for next build. I hope it competes with Point Blank. PB has a special "it" factor to it. From the tapers, large butts, overall feel, and the way it transmits and resonates. The HMs aren't really close imo. In terms of sensitivity and response, here is my list, from best to good. Of course this varies from blank to blank.
    1) K2
    1A) Point Blank
    2) UMBX
    3) Infinity
    3A) NFC HM
    Obviously 3 and 3A go hand and hand
    I was all in on Phenix until I discovered Point Blank. The only Rainshadows I had were an RX8 was good, and an RX8 plus, which was clearly designed by St. Croix

18. Member
    i exclusively fish legend tournaments and legend elites. theres no comparison. brushing the blank against the ceiling and you can actually hear and feel through the blank. it actually transmits sounds unlike any other rod ive fished.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogsticker View Post
    On my list for next build. I hope it competes with Point Blank. PB has a special "it" factor to it. From the tapers, large butts, overall feel, and the way it transmits and resonates. The HMs aren't really close imo. In terms of sensitivity and response, here is my list, from best to good. Of course this varies from blank to blank.
    1) K2
    1A) Point Blank
    2) UMBX
    3) Infinity
    3A) NFC HM
    Obviously 3 and 3A go hand and hand
    I was all in on Phenix until I discovered Point Blank. The only Rainshadows I had were an RX8 was good, and an RX8 plus, which was clearly designed by St. Croix
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

19. Member
    I've only built 11 rods thus far, so I haven't built on that many different brands of blanks. As for my list of best to good

1) NFC X Ray.
    2) Rainshadow Immortal.
    3)NFC IM.
    3a) Hydra NG.
    4) Pac Bay Quickline.

I find the NFC IM and the Hydra NG to be pretty much a tie as far as sensitivity goes. I put the NFC at 3 because of the finish of the blanks. And the Pac Bay Quickline would be #3, or even 2a, but I had one break surprisingly easy. It didn't break while I was fishing with it, but it broke in such a manner that makes me leery of their durability.

After reading all the praise being heaped on the Point Blanks, I'm going to build my new drop shot rod on one of them. Either the PB691MLXF, or the PB691MXF, and I'd really appreciate it if anyone that has experience with those 2 blanks would share their opinions as to which you would choose if you were me.

I mostly "video game" fish a drop shot in 10 - 20'. At times I'll pitch it maybe 20' in front of the boat, but that's about it. Most of the time I am targeting smallmouth, with a lot of the fish being in the 2 - 2 1/2 lb range, but a 4 1/2 - 5 lb fish is not out of the question. 8# test Tatsu fluorocarbon line, (not a braid on spinning gear kind of guy) 3000 Shimano Saros reel.

Thanks in advance for any opinions shared

20. Member
    can anyone say how any of the NFC blanks compare to a NRX as far as sensitivity and weight? Also I don't see anyone mention MHX are they bad blanks or just not up to the quality of the other brands listed. I have mostly been watching videos on mud hole so that is all they talk about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast