Lunker hunter

prop hub question

I have a 06 ranger 188 with a 150vmax on a 8" zlock set at 3.5" running a 23p 3 blade prop. My boat is loaded(hoarder) but runs normally 55/5600rpms. Recently I have noticed it will occasionally not run at the same speed to rpms as normal say 30mph at 4000rpms instead of normal 40mph at 4000rpms. If i stop and bump my motor into reverse it has corrected the issue making me think I possibly have something going on with my prop hub. As I am not a motor/setup guy, I looked on google and read that my prop shouldn't have backward movement when in gear, but when i test this I have some counter-clockwise movement.

Any thoughts on whether I am on the right track thinking it could be the hub? Any other thoughts on what I could be dealing with?

Thanks for your help and knowledge.

2. Member
    If it's a Yamaha prop it's got a rubber pressed in hub and they do wear out and have to be replaced. You need to have a prop guy press a new rubber hub in it you can't do it yourself.

3. Lunker hunter
    If I pull the prop will I be able to visibly tell if it is worn?

4. Member
    Not always. You can put a mark on the hub and the prop then run it and see if they still line up. If not it's spun and needs a new hub. It could also be the tach is off, sometimes they jump around too.