Thread: Lid Strap

Lid Strap

The compartments lids on my Ranger 461 are so hard to open I have broken dome of the D rings trying to open them I have tried trimming them and that didn't help. So I was thinking about adding a strap to help assist in the opening. Will it work, if so what type of material should be used for the strap and how would I mount it. I am asking on the Bassboat Restoration page also.

2. Member
    Most any type of nylon webbing should work. On an older Cajun that I had,I used 1” strap from an old back pack. Use two #10 screws of sufficient length to bolt the strap to the lid. The screw heads should draw down into the carpet to hide them,the strap ends and the nuts go under the lid.

What Rip Bass said. Did this to 364 livewell lids years ago and still holding. Only I used small stainless nuts and bolts to attach a loop of 1" webbed strap.

4. Member
    I had the same problem with my 521. I bought a $5.00 can of silicon spray at local auto parts and spray edges of lids a couple of times a year. this took care of my problem. been using it for 7 years.

5. Member
    If the lids are that tight I would try a beard trimmer with a guard to remove a little of the fuzz of the carpet to take some resistance off. You can always trim a little at a time to get the amount you need.