Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Anyone else take a break from crappie fishing for deer season?

My first love is fishing but I will always have a place in my heart for deer hunting as well. Now that the Oklahoma season is winding down my focus will be back on fishing 100 percent again. Anyone else also share the love for fall killing seasons? Nothing better than watching the sun come up and or go down from the woods out in the middle of nowhere.....except for watching the sun come up or go down from the water that is!!!! My daughter and I loaded the freezer with a buck and a doe.

2. Member
    Good job, gave up all hunting about 17 years ago.

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Good job, gave up all hunting about 17 years ago.
    Just fall out of love with it or never that crazy about it?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Just fall out of love with it or never that crazy about it?
    I was a big time quail hunter for thirty three years, raised and trained some nice Setters and Pointers. There were always plenty of wild birds to finish out a good dogs training after a year or year and a half of yard training and pen raised birds. In one season you could have a well broke dog with plenty of experience. In the beginning and for many years it was not uncommon to push 20 covey's a day. In the end you would be lucky to find 2 or 3 if you had a good day. After my last dog went to the rainbow bridge it just wasn't justifiable to me to train another one with so few birds. I deer hunted for about 10 years but it wasn't my cup of tea, tried both Archery and rifle and got a deer every time just never a real strong interest in it. I do sorely miss the old Quail hunting days though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    My first love is fishing but I will always have a place in my heart for deer hunting as well. Now that the Oklahoma season is winding down my focus will be back on fishing 100 percent again. Anyone else also share the love for fall killing seasons? Nothing better than watching the sun come up and or go down from the woods out in the middle of nowhere.....except for watching the sun come up or go down from the water that is!!!! My daughter and I loaded the freezer with a buck and a doe.
    Yup, I killed two nice bucks this year but I'm thinking I might need to try and fill my doe tag during our 3 day after Christmas hunt. We eat a lot of venison in my house. I make all kinds of sausages and stuff out of it. Venison and crappie are the staples of life

Not deer, but for turkey season. I'm gone from pretty much all the time from mid March till mid May. I sneak a few days in, but usually miss some of the best fishing of the year. I do hunt a ranch in west-central TX that has a small river running through it. There are some deep holes and crappie fishing is stupid easy for some nice sized fish. I usually catch a mess or 2 for dinner.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Not deer, but for turkey season. I'm gone from pretty much all the time from mid March till mid May. I sneak a few days in, but usually miss some of the best fishing of the year. I do hunt a ranch in west-central TX that has a small river running through it. There are some deep holes and crappie fishing is stupid easy for some nice sized fish. I usually catch a mess or 2 for dinner.
    Spring crappie fishing is the main reason I've never really gotten into turkey hunting. I've sat in the woods a few times but never jumped in with both feet. Just can't pull myself out of the boat in the spring when the crappie are on the move and/or spawning.