Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Any biggins outta icaria ?

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trx5Trx510r View Post
    I know a guy who caught a 30lb 5 fish limit there during the Midwest Game and Fish inaugural tournament a few years ago. I believe there was another pig caught that day as well

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mblaesi View Post
    7-8 years ago at lake Geode I weighed in a 8.23 in a tourney
    They drained Lake Geode... It was a great lake, I have seen some giants on beds there that would not bite.

4. Member
    That's a tough lake have seen some nice fish in the spring 20+ inch females, you just have to time it right. I don't know where they go after they leave the bank. The brush piles need some work most of them have rotted away.
    John the Garage Doorman

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    That's a tough lake have seen some nice fish in the spring 20+ inch females, you just have to time it right. I don't know where they go after they leave the bank. The brush piles need some work most of them have rotted away.
    Ya was there one weekend this yr caught a bunch of keepers in the flooded timbers the next weekend could hardly catch a keep outta the whole lake, definitely agree on the brush piles getting some tlc

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IABassin View Post
    They drained Lake Geode... It was a great lake, I have seen some giants on beds there that would not bite.
    When did they drain Geode ? Why did they do that just curious.

7. Member
    Googled it, Iowa tries to do things to improve their natural resources, Illinois just whines they are broke.

Sad but true
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    When did they drain Geode ? Why did they do that just curious.
    I think last year or the year before and never found out why... I always wondered the same thing. Maybe invasive species were taking over who knows?

10. Member
    They drained it to improve water quality, one of the oldest roads in Iowa goes through the lake. Was full of e-coli and other bad stuff. Google it, lots of interesting facts.

Lots of big fish in Iowa. Ive caught plenty over 7lbs...many over 8 and one that pushed a little under 10. All from public water.

12. Member
    Any pics of these catches?^^^^^

Any pics of these catches?^^^^^

I have plenty. Look at my profile. Or if you are on instagram.....@mikesbassfishing

14. Member
    Lake Sugema they shocked one that was 11+ a few years back if I recall

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    Lake Sugema they shocked one that was 11+ a few years back if I recall

Hmmm never heard of that lake

Ill have to see what side of the state its on

Hmmm never heard of that lake

Ill have to see what side of the state its on
    Opposite of you. SE corner. Idk about an 11#er but I wouldn't doubt it. It's one of my favorite lakes in Iowa. It has a slot limit. Everything 12-18" must be released if I remember correctly. It has a lot of nice quality fish as a result.

17. Member
    Sugema has some nice fish in it. Haven't been down there in a few years though.

18. Member
    Sweet Marsh is a 200 acre lake pretty close to where I live. I know of a local guy that caught one a little over 8 1/2 pounds a couple years ago. My personal best of 6 1/2 pounds came out of there as well. If I had to guess where the next 10+ pounder would come from, I would say Lake Wapello. That lake is catch and release only and my dad caught a 7 pounder there three years ago. It's been drained a couple times, the latest only about 5-7 years ago, but they lucked out and when they filled it back up, they were able to stock it with a lot of adult sized fish from another lake that was being drained at the time Wapello was being filled (according to a DNR guy I talked to). It's built right and managed right for trophy sized bass. I only make it down to fish it two days a year usually, but every time I'm there I know I could come away with the fish of a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Sweet Marsh is a 200 acre lake pretty close to where I live. I know of a local guy that caught one a little over 8 1/2 pounds a couple years ago. My personal best of 6 1/2 pounds came out of there as well. If I had to guess where the next 10+ pounder would come from, I would say Lake Wapello. That lake is catch and release only and my dad caught a 7 pounder there three years ago. It's been drained a couple times, the latest only about 5-7 years ago, but they lucked out and when they filled it back up, they were able to stock it with a lot of adult sized fish from another lake that was being drained at the time Wapello was being filled (according to a DNR guy I talked to). It's built right and managed right for trophy sized bass. I only make it down to fish it two days a year usually, but every time I'm there I know I could come away with the fish of a lifetime.
    I've fished Sweets a few times. Had a buddy recommend it. He's caught several 6-7 pounders in there. I only ever had a chance at one biggun in there. Came clear out of the water at my buzzbait and missed it. It was a 6. That guy that fishes it everyday has caught lots of good ones in there. He keeps a log book. Kind og impressive for a marsh that's 3 feet deep.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    There was an 11lbr caught in a tournament at 12 mile in june of 2017. Unfortunately I believe it died because it was held out of the water too long for pictures. Could be wrong on that but that's what I was told.

My PB in Iowa is around 6lbs. The batteries in my scale decided to die last winter and I found out when I went to weigh the bass

It was only 9lbs or so

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast