Thread: Tires rub

Tires rub

I have a 1987 ranger 370 V
    I can not seem to find a tire that does not run on the inside of the fenders.
    the tires are too wide. The inner side wall rubs the fender near the trailers frame area
    I have looked up and down and none of the local tire shop can get any thing to fit right
    when the boat and trailer are sitting their tire clearance is very close but not touching
    soon as it gets in any kind of off camber angle there is contact

iam considering wheel spacers and longer wheel studs

or gender trimming
    Am I alone with this problem or do they just not make tires as narrow these days?
    maybe the leaf springs are worn out?

2. Member
    Check the leaf springs & bushings. They are 32 years old now. If the springs look flat & dearched, they need to be replaced. It's an easy task. Last year, I noticed that my tires were rubbing on the inner fenders of my 1984 single axle trailer. I replaced the springs & bushings and gained about 1.5 inches in height & clearance. It's probably back to the original height, and it rides much better also. I would try to avoid gender trimming. It could be painful.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Could be that your wheels or axle have been replaced with the wrong part. Wheels with positive offset or an axle that is too short could do it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Thank you.
    I will change the springs and take it from there ��

Yep. What OnTRAK said. Leaf springs might be flat. If that’s the issue they aren’t expensive and it’s an easy DIY jib.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    Check the leaf springs & bushings. They are 32 years old now. If the springs look flat & dearched, they need to be replaced. It's an easy task. Last year, I noticed that my tires were rubbing on the inner fenders of my 1984 single axle trailer. I replaced the springs & bushings and gained about 1.5 inches in height & clearance. It's probably back to the original height, and it rides much better also. I would try to avoid gender trimming. It could be painful.
    BINGO---

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Springs, shackles and all hardware need changing. Same thing happened to me and that corrected it

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Could be that your wheels or axle have been replaced with the wrong part. Wheels with positive offset or an axle that is too short could do it.
    This is my guess as well... You probably have the wrong rims/wheels.... You need "0" offset.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I don’t think you need to go as far as gender trimming! Slow down, put the knife down!

As has been stated your leaf springs are most likely past their useful period of life.

What size tires are on your trailer now and what are the rims? Trailers almost always have a 0 offset so unless someone put negative offset rims on your trailer it’s not the tires/rims.

Once you replace the leaf springs and hardware I’m sure your problem will be gone. Good luck!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Replaced the springs. Appears to have fixed the problem
    now it has more clearance. A bit of road time will verify.
    ������

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Wow that was quick! Glad you got the parts so easily and got her back together! Now go fishing!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Lol. Well I had the springs laying around for years�� I just never got around to it
    the way the tires were rubbing on the side wall had me skeptical that the springs were the cause.