Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flashed SHO on a Skeeter

I have a few questions on the Skeeter/SHO flash. First off I would love to here from some guys experiences? Is it worth the price? What should I expect to see, 2015 Skeeter ZX250. My warranty will be up soon to, so should I raise the limiter to get the full power? I have searched for some information but would like to see more Skeeter info.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

2. Member
    i would bet if you called yamaha for this advice they would discourage it.

3. Member
    You say your warranty will be up shortly. I assume you are referring to your original 3 year warranty. I would strongly advise you to investigate buying a 3 year YES warranty. In year 4 I trashed a lower unit and Yamaha replaced with a new one ($4250), which more than paid for YES. 2 months after my YES expired, I had to have a powerhead (long block) replaced ($12,000). The reason I bring all this up is I believe if you flash, they will look for anything reasonable to void the warranty.

4. Member
    High 70s all day long in the cool weather

5. Member
    I can’t see how anyone could want more power out a SHO 250, at least for me on my fx20 I haven’t even seen what the true top is. I’ve taken it to 73 mph once on gps and it was downright scary AF, and I backed off. But then again there are folks who drive 100 mph bass boats as well so to each their own.

6. Member
    Buy the warranty, better investment.

7. Member
    Disagree. I have twin talons, I like to have more gas than less onboard (never trust marine gauges), I fish (3) people sometimes in boat. I flashed mine just to wake it up. I kept stock 25 T1 raised rev limiter to 7k. I have only hit 6200 RPM so far but never got boat out past mid September here to see what cooler weather/water would do (high water. crappy conditions, work etc I didn't get back out. Last time out two grown big boys in boat 78 MPH and boat smooth as can be. I don't plan to ever run above 6400 RPM. In summer when I first got flashed I didn't notice a ton of difference. Hydrotec says 3-5 mph gain without changing anything. Also, I assumed more HP get a bigger prop but not true. Need to get RPMS's up to get HP from motor. I know it worked because in a tourney we drew 22 out of 25 and ran 20 miles up river. Several guys in club have ZX250 or ZX225 and I was catching and passing all of them and most anybody else in my path. Better hole shot, mid range etc. When the weather heat and humidity went down boat got faster in a hurry!! Difference between 72 and 78 is huge...you can really tell

8. Member
    First of all Yamaha can't tell its been flashed. Also, Wayne at Hydrotec worked for Yamaha and it sounds like they have an excellent relationship. He said never had Yamaha turn down a warranty claim from a flash. Guys these motors are tuned down...wake it up and let the dog eat!!

9. Member
    Loomis88 is spot on! Don't fear the flash. The extra power is there IF you want it. The hole shot is night and day better and the low and mid range acceleration is very much improved.. To really get the most out of the flash, the engines like to be turned to 67 to 6800 rpm. This allows you to run a bit smaller pitch prop which is more efficient and will carry a load way better.. Set up is key as with anything.. Does a faster boat make you a better fisherman? No... Does it allow you more time to fish? sure does.. How many tournaments could you win if you had an extra 15 or 20 min to fish? How many more casts could you make? And the real reason.. How much damn fun is it to pass people after blast off? ALL THE FUN by the way! Sure, sh** can go wrong.. It can with anything. Be smart about things, be safe and have fun!

Sounds like I will be sending it to Hydro Tec then. Should I reprop or stay with the 25T1? I gonna add a CB foil too, this thing should break necks on holeshot.
    2020 Ranger Z520L 250 Pro XS 4

11. Member
    Keep 25 T1

12. Member
    The 25T-1 is a good prop.. IF you get a wild hair.. Try a 25 or 26 Bravo XS..

13. Member
    I would say plan on 1-2 mph on average with same load and prop. Depending on conditions maybe 4 mph. Holeshot is already fast without flash so I didn't notice anything there. Midrange punch is improved. Also To notice speed gain you need to stay into it and the speed will slowly build.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loomis88 View Post
    First of all Yamaha can't tell its been flashed. Also, Wayne at Hydrotec worked for Yamaha and it sounds like they have an excellent relationship. He said never had Yamaha turn down a warranty claim from a flash. Guys these motors are tuned down...wake it up and let the dog eat!!
    It is my understanding that to get the flash results, one needs to operate above 6k rpm, is that correct? If so, would Yamaha not reject warranty claim for operating outside recommended upper rpm limit?

15. Member
    Isn't factory rev limiter 6250? Just run it over 6k no problem. Problem is with load most guys can't run above 5800 RPM stock

16. Member
    I have a 2013 zx200 and will be sending ECU off to have flashed soon, warranty runs out in February. Was planning on the 300 flash with 6500 limiter. Currently have an FXP 24 pitch prop i can turn 6000 at 67 mph and a 25T1 that will run about the same speed at 5600-5700 rpm with 2-12' talons, fuel and gear. I'm guessing the 25 T1 would probably be the right choice after the flash?

2013 ZX200
    Yamaha 200 SHO

17. Member
    Try 25 but I’m guessing 26 or maybe 27p. 25 is perfect for my boat my boat is bigger, heavier, and I went from a 250 to 300 you are making a bigger jump the boat will absolutely haul ass!

18. Member
    dbarb42.. I'm betting you'll be all over the 6500 rpm limiter with the 25 t1.. It's possible that I helped a friend set up his 07 zx200 with a flash and it went from 67 ish mph with a 25 t1 and 5800 rpm to 77 mph and 6600 rpm.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarb42 View Post
    I have a 2013 zx200 and will be sending ECU off to have flashed soon, warranty runs out in February. Was planning on the 300 flash with 6500 limiter. Currently have an FXP 24 pitch prop i can turn 6000 at 67 mph and a 25T1 that will run about the same speed at 5600-5700 rpm with 2-12' talons, fuel and gear. I'm guessing the 25 T1 would probably be the right choice after the flash?
    That's going to be a bad @$$ ride with the flash.

20. Member
    Remember need to get RPM's up to get HP. Wayne at HT told me of a guy with a 250 SHO spinning 14k. These motors can handle 7k ALL DAY LONG...thats nothing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast