Thread: Ouch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ouch

2000 Triton TR21 trailer is hurt bad. Early Triton trailers are known to have issues, but aside from squeaking like crazy, this has been a good one. Already priced some new replacement trailers, and they are pretty steep. I know the chances are slim, but if anyone has, or has a lead on a used replacement within reasonable driving distance to Bowling Green, Ky (hour north of Nashville, Tn) please let me know.

lower res6.jpg
    I want my ashes sprinkled in the lake...might as well try to get em to bite one last time.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Dang! Sorry to see that! If the boat ok otherwise? I’ll keep an eye out.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Yeah, the sled itself is fine. She already had a few 'scuffs' on her.

Thanks, appreciate any help.

There's a guy on BBC now with exactly what I need for a great price...but he's over 900 miles away.
    I want my ashes sprinkled in the lake...might as well try to get em to bite one last time.

5. Banned
    Just put a new axle under it.

Unless the frame is bent, that's fixable. Axle, Tire, Rim, and a new fender and you're good to go !! I've got a 02 20' Ranger Trail I'm gonna let go cheap, but I'm a long way from Ky, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Yeah, maybe an axle at least could keep you fishing while you look for a replacement. They are usually pretty easy to change if you clean the U-bolt threads if so equipped and have an impact wrench. Heck, you could maybe just take that axle out for an emergency short tow.
    BTW, rotten luck you got there.

Yeah, after pricing replacements I'm looking a lot closer at fixing it. Need to figure out the best way to make sure the frame isn't warped. Guess I could just measure distance between the square tube from the back to up past the wheels. Would still be worried its twisted and wouldn't track right. Fair amount of metal work to get the step/fender damage fixed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrich057 View Post
    Yeah, after pricing replacements I'm looking a lot closer at fixing it. Need to figure out the best way to make sure the frame isn't warped. Guess I could just measure distance between the square tube from the back to up past the wheels. Would still be worried its twisted and wouldn't track right. Fair amount of metal work to get the step/fender damage fixed.
    Maybe, but look at your opportunities to fix something by yourself.

Take plenty of photos, we love to watch people work.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Do you habe the ability to get your boat off the trailer? I have a feeling once you get her off the trailer any bent areas would become evident without an extra 3000lbs on it and you can measure quite easily then.

I know the parts are available online, just depends if you want to do the work on the trailer? Hope you get it figured out soon!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

You're gonna have to get the Boat off the trailer anyway, so once that's done, you can check the frame using the 3,4,5 triangle rule. 3 sqd +4 sqd=5 sqd measure at each rear corner and at each cross frame corner.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Thanks for the input, guys.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    You're gonna have to get the Boat off the trailer anyway, so once that's done, you can check the frame using the 3,4,5 triangle rule. 3 sqd +4 sqd=5 sqd measure at each rear corner and at each cross frame corner.
    My dad taught me that rule 50yrs ago and I still use it today.

Been researching the best way to get the boat off the trailer. PITA to do it safely in my 25 X 30 concrete floored barn.

I'm thinking the whole rig is jacked up and the boat is put up on stands. Then move the stands around strategically while slowly moving the trailer out from under. Was thinking of getting 4 heavy duty RV leveling jacks, or just making some stands out of wood 4x4's. Key work here is safely.

Anybody have ideas on this?

15. Member
    I had almost same damage on my Triton trailer 2 years back. I put boat in a dry storage place where they lifted them in with fork lift.
    I then took trailer to Winchester, Tn. where Triton trailers are made. I guess they still make Triton. I know they are still there and make trailers for several brands.
    About 3 weeks later trailer was repaired. I think cost was just over $1200. Insurance paid bill. I can find name and number for trailer place if you need just PM or email me.

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I had almost same damage on my Triton trailer 2 years back. I put boat in a dry storage place where they lifted them in with fork lift.
    I then took trailer to Winchester, Tn. where Triton trailers are made. I guess they still make Triton. I know they are still there and make trailers for several brands.
    About 3 weeks later trailer was repaired. I think cost was just over $1200. Insurance paid bill. I can find name and number for trailer place if you need just PM or email me.
    That would be great if you could find the numbers. It's prolly Marine Master...maybe Hustler. PM on the way.

17. Member
    I replied to your PM. Hope I helped! Sure worked easy for me!

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I replied to your PM. Hope I helped! Sure worked easy for me!
    MFI trailers is out of business now, Triton trailers are made by another company. Appreciate the help, though.

19. Member
    I've taken boats off trailers following this procedure....slowly walked the trailer out from underneath the boat....block it up as you go. Make sure you anchor the the transom to a tree or solid post so the boat doesn't slide forward as you pull the trailer out from underneath.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=948016

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yep! I’m bowing out! This part scares me! Good luck though, once you have the boat off the trailer I believe you’ll be in a much better position to determine how bad it really is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast