Thread: Ouch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had something similar happen to a friend. Friend had his trailer put on a flat bed tow truck who took it down to a boat storage place to have the boat put up on blocks. After that he did the work to the trailer. A little more expensive...but probably a lot safer too.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    Insurance??
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrich057 View Post
    Been researching the best way to get the boat off the trailer. PITA to do it safely in my 25 X 30 concrete floored barn.

I'm thinking the whole rig is jacked up and the boat is put up on stands. Then move the stands around strategically while slowly moving the trailer out from under. Was thinking of getting 4 heavy duty RV leveling jacks, or just making some stands out of wood 4x4's. Key work here is safely.

Anybody have ideas on this?
    You can easily use the cribbing technique. You can do it in your garage. Items needed a 2 ton floor jack, 8” concrete blocks, 2x6x16” wood blocking and carpet pads.

First chock the trailer wheels. Then drop the trailer tongue to the floor with the jack.

This will raise the stern to a high point. Crib the stern tight as possible.

Raise the tongue high enough to deploy the front trailer wheel. Raise the wheel to its limit. Crib the trailer at the tongue and lower on to the cribbing. Raise the wheel and reposition the jack under the wheel. Raise enough to separate the bow bunks from the hull. Crib at the bow on the center keel. Lower the jack and the hull will be suspended off the trailer.

Slowly move the trailer forward until a cross member meets the bow crib. Raise the bow again and re-crib on the opposite side of the cross member. Remove the crib in front and slowly move the trailer forward again. Repeat until the trailer is removed leaving the boat safely cribbed. I add additional cribs to the outside edges as the trailer is removed. Reverse the process to return the trailer under the boat. This can be done with one person, two people would be ideal. I would not recommend this technique unless you have basic skills. It’s very safe with care taken.

Wayne
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 02-12-2019 at 06:05 PM.

4. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    My trailer is still available. I will meet you around Santee, SC if that will help ease the drive for you...that's 2 hours each way for me and 2 hours less each way for you. Shoot me a text tomorrow if you are interested to 912-313-9632.

Thanks, but a single axle won't work.
    Last edited by jrich057; 01-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    I want my ashes sprinkled in the lake...might as well try to get em to bite one last time.

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time and posting pics!

Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    You can easily use the cribbing technique. You can do it in your garage. Items needed a 2 ton floor jack, 8” concrete blocks, 2x6x16” wood blocking and carpet pads.

First chock the trailer wheels. Then drop the trailer tongue to the floor with the jack.

This will raise the stern to a high point. Crib the stern tight as possible.

Raise the tongue high enough to deploy the front trailer wheel. Raise the wheel to its limit. Crib the trailer at the tongue and lower on to the cribbing. Raise the wheel and reposition the jack under the wheel. Raise enough to separate the bow bunks from the hull. Crib at the bow on the center keel. Lower the jack and the hull will be suspended off the trailer.

Slowly move the boat forward until a cross member meets the bow crib. Raise the bow again and re-crib on the opposite side of the cross member. Remove the crib in front and slowly move the boat forward again. Repeat until the trailer is removed leaving the boat safely cribbed. I add additional cribs to the outside edges as the trailer is removed. Reverse the process to return the trailer under the boat. This can be done with one person, two people would be ideal. I would not recommend this technique unless you have basic skills. It’s very safe with care taken.

Wayne
    I want my ashes sprinkled in the lake...might as well try to get em to bite one last time.

7. Member
    Sharing knowledge is a great thing here. Thanks!

8. Banned
    It's easy to get off the trailer. I took my tr21 off by myself and set it on a bunch of used tires. I went to a tire shop and they said i could have all i wanted. They have to pay to have them hauled off.

Putting the trailer up for sale. Anyone interested see the misc board under buy/sell/trade. Thanks again for all the great info.

10. Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12