Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got the 198 ranger out yesterday

finally got to take my ranger 198p out yesterday and wow what a nice boat. i also have a phoenix but i like the feel of this boat. super smooth to say the least. i have a few questions

1. my ultrex seems to make more noise on this tin boat vs my 112 ultrex on the phoenix. Its like there is alot more vibration. i have never had a 80 pound ultrex or a tin boat so i am not sure if the 80 for some reason makes more noise or if the tin dont obsrob the vibration as well as a fiberglass? or maybe there is somthing wrong with the ultrex?

2. My rig has a hydraulic plate and a 23 tempest. half tank and one person ran 60 at 6000 rpms. is that about right? i was expecting a little more speed maybe is the reason i ask. maybe a different prop? thanks all for any responses

With respect to the noisy trolling motor:
    On My first RT188 Hull, the trolling motor had a noisy vibration. It was like it built up a resonance. I had to put a piece of 3/4 plywood under the deck to quieten it down. Ranger replaced that hull in 2015 and moved everything over from the old hull, but they did not move the plywood. However, I did not have the noise like on the old hull.
    I recently replaced the 80# MAXXUM with an 80# Ultrex and the Ultrex is much more noisy than the MAXXUM. part of it was related to vibration from the prop, I had to replace it with the prop off my MAXXUM. I have read several complaints on this forum about out of balance props on Ultrex’s.
    My general observation after many years of using all the brands is that Minn Kota’s have more motor noise than MG.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 12-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    If you are running at 60 you are right in the ball park. You might get a couple more MPH out of it after you are broken in but 60 is about right. I don't have any noise issues with my Ultrex.

4. Member
    60 is about right for these hulls, i wouldn't expect much more!

I have an 80lb Fortex on mine and don't notice any vibrations. I've seen complaints about vibrations from earlier Ultrex's. Could be the motor?

5. Member
    What engine are you running?

6. Member
    150 merc four stroke

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix#1 View Post
    150 merc four stroke
    is it the ProXS of just the 4s. either way you are not propped quite right.

8. Member
    just regular four stroke no pro xs

9. Member
    just regular four stroke no pro xs
    Okay you only want to turn 5800 RPMs on that motor. I would send that prop to Mark Croxton and add some cup I bet you can get 62 MPH.

10. Member
    thats not smart craft just the dash gauges.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m glad you got your new boat out! Sounds like a winner! I’m sure these guys will know how to get that Ultrex quieted down.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

finally got to take my ranger 198p out yesterday and wow what a nice boat. i also have a phoenix but i like the feel of this boat. super smooth to say the least. i have a few questions

1. my ultrex seems to make more noise on this tin boat vs my 112 ultrex on the phoenix. Its like there is alot more vibration. i have never had a 80 pound ultrex or a tin boat so i am not sure if the 80 for some reason makes more noise or if the tin dont obsrob the vibration as well as a fiberglass? or maybe there is somthing wrong with the ultrex?

2. My rig has a hydraulic plate and a 23 tempest. half tank and one person ran 60 at 6000 rpms. is that about right? i was expecting a little more speed maybe is the reason i ask. maybe a different prop? thanks all for any responses
    Check the trolling motor prop. Some are getting ones with props that have the hole off center.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    [QUOTE=Casslaw;9881610]I’m glad you got your new boat out! Sounds like a winner! I’m sure these guys will know how to get that Ultrex quieted down.[/QUwi

will do wayne thanks...........wow your everywhere on here huh

14. Member
    On my 198 my 80# MK was giving off vibs. thru the hull, so I put a 1/4" thick piece of rubber cut to the same size as the base and put it between the TM base and the top of the boat, it took about 90% of the vibs. out. Got the rubber sheet a Menards in the flooring dept.

15. Member
    mine has a noticeable wobble out of the water. i can see visible and feel it when i push the button and place my hand on the foot. I rotated the prop but i dont see any change . i took the prop off and the vibration stopped so i think it has to be in the prop?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Check the trolling motor prop. Some are getting ones with props that have the hole off center.
    Geez, how hard can it be to make a prop? Not exactly a high tech piece of plastic. I also was surprised when I switched from MG to MK this summer that the motor was noisier than I expected as I'd heard about how quiet MK was supposed to be. It's quiet up to 30 on the dial then gets a bit noisy.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

17. Member
    My Ultrex makes noise when turning due to electrical vs. cable. I have no vibration from the motor because I have a TH Marine Eliminator. Get one.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

18. Member
    I have been looking into upgrading from my Maxxum to an Ultrex but i cant seem to wrap my head around having to spend $2000+ and then having to address vibration issues.

Is the ultrex prop any different than the fortrex prop? Or they just have a bad batch in general?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    I believe they're the same prop for all the 24 volt motors. The 36 volt motors have a larger diameter motor housing so the prop is different. I imagine they may have gotten a bad batch of props. The prop that came with my Ultrex has been fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast