Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you plan to have kids in 2-3 yrs then you have time to get the boat and pay it off and get some fishing in before kids start...just my opinion
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I was just in a very similar situation as you. I had a 98 stratos 283 (18ft, 150) that was getting small. I was getting beat to death on Lanier on the weekend, and my wife felt unsafe in it, especially with the baby. I bought a Stratos 200 (20ft w/225). I like it much better as far as size goes. It's more comfortable to me and them both. My daughter is 14 months now, and I bought this boat about 5 months ago. I don't think I have that much less time to go fishing, but kids are definitely more expensive. We've had quite the time paying medical bills because my insurance is pretty crappy.

With all that said, only you can decide. I sold my other boat, and got a bonus from work, so I only came out of pocket about 2k dollars. I've put about another 4k in it that I wasn't really expecting, but now I really like what I have. I will tell you, if it is going to make you tight on money, kids will definitely make it worse. We've spent over 10k this year between daycare and medical bills out of pocket, just keep that in mind. However, if it was me, and you are going to start a family in 3 years, pull the trigger now on the boat, hustle, get it paid off before the baby comes and have the best of both worlds.

The garage thing I can't help you with, I have a large garage, and storing my boat outside isn't an option.

3. Member
    If you can afford to buy a newer boat and justify a garage modification to fit it, then go for it. Enjoy whatever time you can on the water while you can. Worry about the boat and using it after you have kids. No sense worrying yourself about it now if you don’t have kids yet.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Not totally dissatisfied with your current boat, fits in your garage, paid off, only fishing 3-5 times a month when not in deer season (3months long?), and starting a family...... We all 'want' new things, but what do we really 'need'?
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

Don't listen to the grumpy old tightwads, buy it and use it, you're not guaranteed to see tomorrow.

6. Member
    Don't know why such a hang up by everyone about storing outside, I keep mine outside under a good cover and it still looks great. They are boats and are meant to be outside, heck even on the water!

One thing to remember, when you start a family and your fishing time will go down for a few years. But then as the kids get a bit older you will be able to take them out on the boat, teach them to fish, pull them behind the boat on a tube, make some great memories with them. If a good/great price on the Z8 I say sell your current boat and get it if it has been well cared for and will not cost you an arm or leg to fix it up.

I bought a new Z7 in 2015, wanted a Z8 but the wife didn't want to spend the extra $$ at the time. Now that my kids are older and bigger the wife complains that we need a bigger boat. (believe me the next one is going to cost her ) But my kids are getting into their teenage years so pretty soon they might not want to hang out with Mom and Dad on the boat and just stay home, who knows for sure but I hope not.

7. Banned
    Life is about living not hiding and wondering what is going to happen next. I never let the kid thing stop me. Now he is 8 years old and he loves it more than I do. Changed a many of diapers on the deck of my boats. If you are financially stable and want it then buy it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Don't listen to the grumpy old tightwads, buy it and use it, you're not guaranteed to see tomorrow.
    This right here, you can always sell it if you need. Life is to short to worry about all the negative outcomes. I bought a new to me boat a few years after my son was born now that boy wont stay out of it.

9. Member
    Plan on having kids?
    Sell the ATV. UTV. Forget the hunting Lease. Corrosion protect the firearms and store them.
    You may need to sell the older boat. Buy possibly tiller aluminum.
    I have 5 boys and 3 step daughters, so don't listen to me!

You could keep the older boat and make changes with future choices between you and the wife. Kids cost. Kids take time.
    BUT, If planning on no more than 2 children, buy the boat and purchase a metal building to store it under. Daughters or sons, you can take them fishing and hunting!
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 12-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Banned
    Lol at all the responses, shows how different everyone is.

Define a really good price to yourself, there is an 2011 z8 with 200 and an anchor for 21,000$ here for sale. A really good price to me would be sub 19k, that would make me jump and figure out the storage issues also having the dust settle before the kids would be great. Not while in the ship storm of everything being all at once.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Banned
    If you look up Optimax in the dictionary the definition is. " If it hasn't blown up yet. It will " Not a fan of that motor. Everything else sounds good.

13. Member
    I would hold off and save your money. Your needs in a boat may change. Mine did , I have a little guy that wants to go with. I went from a Bassboat to a Deep V.

Much nicer ride when it gets rough and I have a cover than can enclose the back. Rain too much Sun or cold I put it up.

I won't buy a boat that has to be stored outside...sounds like a newer 18 FT or 19 FTer would fit your bill best.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Sell your boat, buy the Z8 and get it paid off ASAP. Then, trade in your truck for a new truck and get it paid off ASAP so you can sell the boat and buy a BRAND NEW boat in about 6-8 years By then, the kids will be old enough to fish with you every weekend

16. Member
    If you can currently afford it and have no problems keeping it outside, I'd say go for it. If you are making payments on it and then have a baby, you will make things work. If you have a baby and then consider buying a different boat with payments, you will say it is too much money. Then your 22 year old boat is 26 or 27 years old and you are wishing you would have got the Nitro when you had the chance and could afford it. Just do it.

As stated by others, day care, diapers, formula, etc. are very expensive. Especially day care. If you have another and end up with two in day care it takes a damn good amount out of your check every other week.

I once bought a brand new rig and planned on keeping it for 10 years. We had a baby and then another and I ended up fishing out of that boat for 23 seasons in total before getting my next new one. I wish that I would have got a new one before the first baby was born.
    Last edited by madmurph; 12-19-2018 at 09:53 AM.

17. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Figured I'd give everyone an update. I ended up getting the boat and I am very happy that I did. Got it for 18K and its clean as a whistle with only 150 hours on the motor. Now just need some warmer weather to show up so I can get out and use it!
    Nitro Z8 snap.jpg
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

18. Member
    Great deal

Sharp rig...congrats and enjoy

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a6hux View Post
    That's a reason not to enjoy life for sure.
    Yup, can't stand the attitude the glass is half empty!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast