Thread: VA Clain

VA Clain

Need some suggestions if anyone has any! I'm currently rated 40%. I have 0% service connected for Hypertension. I am now on 3 blood pressure meds. The requirement for 10% is either 160 systolic (upper #) or 100 diastolic (lower #) and on meds for control. I am very close or over when only on 2 of the meds. I put in for a reeval and they denied it even though they stated I had a history of being over. I currently receive all my care at the VA (apparently a mistake at this point). I asked my PCM if they would write a letter stating that in their medical opinion if I were not on these meds then I would be at or over those readings. They will not write it she said because they don't get involved in compensation issues etc. I get that I suppose but she's also MY doctor. Any ideas where or who I can go to in the VA system to get something done? In order to do it on the outside I would have to get established care under another doctor and no telling how long that would take. Thanks ahead of time for any ideas!! Merry Christmas everyone!!

2. Member
    Get someone to assist you. The American Legion or other veteran organizations have someone who can help you.

3. Member
    Disable America Veterans DAV THEY HEIP A LOT OF VETERANS. Check out your Area. get with them file a claim let repents you.

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    You need to get a rep to help with your claim. Don't do it yourself, it can be overwhelming. The above suggestions are right on. Also, most county or cities have veterans services that will have a rep that will help you. That's what I have used with great success. Again, don't go it alone, using a rep might even find others things you can claim too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

As was already mentioned talk with a VSO. Also download the DBQ for Hypertension and set up an appt with a provider outside of the VA.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I'm already using one of the VSO's from my county. She's the one that talked me into having a reeval done. Thanks for all the suggestions tho. I probably should have mentioned that in my original post. I think about the only thing left to do is what you said 1stindoor. Its going to take awhile to build that relationship with an outside provider. Most won't just see you 1 or 2 times and then just write something like that according to the folks I've spoken with, however in the long run it would be worth it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

Quite welcome. I recommend doing that to vets all the time, establish a relationship and treatment history with an outside provider. Every visit remind the doctor how the pain or issue is directly related to military service. Explain what you did, how long you served, etc. After several visits/treatments start broaching the subject of VA paperwork. It will also help if you fill out the majority of the blocks in the DBQ, this way all the doc needs to do is fill in his part, sign and date...make his job easier. Most docs don't want to spend 30 minutes filling out a 10 page form for the VA...or anyone else for that matter. They have a hard enough time charting every visit when they typically see 2-4 patients an hour.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

9. Member
    Disable America Veterans DAV THEY HEIP A LOT OF VETERANS. Check out your Area. get with them file a claim let repents you.

Do This ,they will Help

10. Member
    You are in for a long long battle in this instance. I asked the DAV to help me out and that was an absolute joke. That was in 1995 and things may have changed since then. I worked on my claim myself and I prevailed but, it took eight years.
    The VAMC's are not going to help you at all. Talk to someone other than the DAV and listen to what they say. These service organizations (there are so many these days) can tell you what forms you need and other BS and then they forward the forms to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office. And then they "have done their job" These VSO's and higher up's in VSO get paid tons of money to tell you what forms to fill out.
    There is an attorney in Topeka, Kansas and an attorney in Spring, Texas, a gal, who know how to fight the bureaucrats in the Department of Veterans Affairs.. I have forgotten their names. Both of these people are darned good at what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    Need some suggestions if anyone has any! I'm currently rated 40%. I have 0% service connected for Hypertension. I am now on 3 blood pressure meds. The requirement for 10% is either 160 systolic (upper #) or 100 diastolic (lower #) and on meds for control. I am very close or over when only on 2 of the meds. I put in for a reeval and they denied it even though they stated I had a history of being over. I currently receive all my care at the VA (apparently a mistake at this point). I asked my PCM if they would write a letter stating that in their medical opinion if I were not on these meds then I would be at or over those readings. They will not write it she said because they don't get involved in compensation issues etc. I get that I suppose but she's also MY doctor. Any ideas where or who I can go to in the VA system to get something done? In order to do it on the outside I would have to get established care under another doctor and no telling how long that would take. Thanks ahead of time for any ideas!! Merry Christmas everyone!!

Do Not mess around with trying to do this yourself !! Go th the AMVETS officer in your VA and they know how to do this and get it done ASAP !! DAV was useless for me, but AMVETS got it done and done quickly. I was originally rated at 10%, we appealed and with some more proof of where I was and what I had been doing (Navy, Vietnam, River) and came back at 60%. She told me when I retired to come in and she'd get me a better rate then. I went in, signed a form, and 6 wks later, I was 90% UNEMPLOYABLE !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Tennessee Football Basstronaut's Avatar
    If you use this link to make a claim it WILL get reviewed: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...y-compensation

You can upload all supporting documentation you think is relevant to the claim as well and check the status of the claim.

It works, have faith in your ability to get this done. Thank you for your service.
    2019 Old Town - Topwater 120 PDL, Powerpole Micro, Helix 7 Mega SI/DI/GPS

Previous Rigs:

2018 Weldbilt 1648V / Johnson 9.9. Helix 12 G2 Mega DI / Helix 5 G2 GPS
    1999 Procraft 205 Pro / Merc 225 EFI. HB 998 / 798
    2013 Tracker Pro 160 / Merc 25 Fourstroke. HB 958 / 798
    1994 Stratos 270 VF / Johnson 150 Faststrike.
    90's 15' ft. Sea Nymph / 2010 Merc 9.9. HB 598 / 570

Previous Kayaks:

2010 Ascend 10T / HB 60
    2013 Ascend FS128T (Pair)
    2017 Field & Stream Shadow Caster 125

13. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    You are in for a long long battle in this instance. I asked the DAV to help me out and that was an absolute joke. That was in 1995 and things may have changed since then. I worked on my claim myself and I prevailed but, it took eight years.
    The VAMC's are not going to help you at all. Talk to someone other than the DAV and listen to what they say. These service organizations (there are so many these days) can tell you what forms you need and other BS and then they forward the forms to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office. And then they "have done their job" These VSO's and higher up's in VSO get paid tons of money to tell you what forms to fill out.
    There is an attorney in Topeka, Kansas and an attorney in Spring, Texas, a gal, who know how to fight the bureaucrats in the Department of Veterans Affairs.. I have forgotten their names. Both of these people are darned good at what they do.
    Dang, I used my county rep with great success. They just didn't fill out forms, they helped me a lot. Really hate hearing how bad you were treated. I really believe though that it's best to use help.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67