Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trenthamp View Post
    He said that they can see on the computer that it has been through serious torque while running at low rpm. I think he had that story ready to go at any point in case he was ever asked.
    I dont know of anything that measures torque at the prop that is stored in the Computer ...It will show RPMs but I highly doubt load...maybe that is one I missed...It could maybe show high RPMs at a lower speed than normal.. That will change with trim so I doubt that is something they could use..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I dont know of anything that measures torque at the prop that is stored in the Computer ...It will show RPMs but I highly doubt load...maybe that is one I missed...It could maybe show high RPMs at a lower speed than normal.. That will change with trim so I doubt that is something they could use..
    Even if you could, all you gotta do is put it in gear and idle them to safety. It Might take you a good while but you don’t have to pull em too fast. Just don’t leave them or their boat if you can safely get both in

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    Most states require that you “Render Aid” to a vessel in distress.

”Render Aid” is a very broad term. It doesn’t mean tow them to the ramp of their choice. It means help them enough to prevent loss of life, if possible.
    That is the way it is in Michigan....You dont have to tow them but you need to do your best to get them out of a life threatening issue.....If I'm in 3 footers or more I'm probably not going to hook you up if your craft is safe...I will stay with you though until help arrives and I'll prepare to take you and your passengers on board....I was a coangler in a tournament when that exact thing happened to us on Saginaw Bay...Boater stayed with the bass boat that was in trouble until the Sherrif got there to render aid..If we would have hooked up it would have destroyed both boats..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 12-18-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I've towed several individuals especially on my home lake even stopped one time when an under powered boat was towing a bigger boat and was really struggling.

I can't speak for the warranty issue so won't make a judgement but the Dude getting ready for a tournament is a miserable excuse.

I've changed a lot of tires, hauled a couple of broke down motorcycles in my pickup and assisted many motorists who were stranded for one reason or another as I've traveled a lot of miles in rural areas over the years so no way would I ever leave someone on a body of water or alone on the roadside.

I've also been the beneficiary of help from some good people as well and thankful they weren't on their way to a tournament

Quote Originally Posted by duff73 View Post
    I always thought it was illegal to not help a stranded boater? .....
    I thought the same, this is from the coast guard regs...

The master or person in charge of a vessel is obligated by law to provide assistance that can be safely provided to any individual in danger at sea . The master or person in charge is subject to a fine and/or imprisonment for failure to do so .

If you are on a navigable waterway I believe the rule applies
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I'd never leave anyone stranded...

The folks who refused to help will need it one day.
    helped a many people on the water and will continue to do so, what they do is on them, but what I do is on me

7. Member
    I've never had to be towed or towed anyone else but I wouldn't hesitate as long as I could do it safely.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    It is pretty simple you help. I can't even think about leaving another boater in a bind while they are on the water. If it came to winning a tournament or helping another boater the boater will always win. Motor warranty, I would have found a solution, maybe go for help do something. Heck even if I was breaking in a new motor I would find a way to help.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    It is pretty simple you help. I can't even think about leaving another boater in a bind while they are on the water. If it came to winning a tournament or helping another boater the boater will always win. Motor warranty, I would have found a solution, maybe go for help do something. Heck even if I was breaking in a new motor I would find a way to help.
    Exactly. Worst case scenario, have them anchor and take them to shore.
    Let them work it out from land ... have a buddy come, etc.
    Chicken %$*& excuses from chicken &*%$ people. Nothing more to see.

My Brother in Law's boat wrapped up a ski rope into the prop one day while fishing the Ohio river. After an hour or so of trying to troll upstream to the ramp, the batteries were about dead and we were at the mercy of the current. Thank God someone came by and stopped just before dark because I don't know what would have happened to us if he hadn't stopped. That happened when I was 9 years old and it taught me a valuable lesson, I would never leave someone stranded.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    My Brother in Law's boat wrapped up a ski rope into the prop one day while fishing the Ohio river. After an hour or so of trying to troll upstream to the ramp, the batteries were about dead and we were at the mercy of the current. Thank God someone came by and stopped just before dark because I don't know what would have happened to us if he hadn't stopped. That happened when I was 9 years old and it taught me a valuable lesson, I would never leave someone stranded.
    That’s why you carry an anchor and/or paddle. On a river system like that with barges, locks, and falls get your butt to the shore. Find help from there after your safe and secure.

12. Member
    I have towed in I don't know how many. Been towed three times. Even towed in from Roland Martin on Lake Kissimmee in my Stratos years ago. Have helped I don't know how many on the side of the road over the years.

I will tow if someone needs

14. Member
    Over the years I have towed half a dozen boats in. Luckily I have never been in a situation that I had to be towed. I could not leave someone stranded on the water.

If towing voids warranty then I see a lot of new bassboats out there pulling skiers, tubes and wakeboards with no warranty.

16. Member
    Let me propose a different point of view: water versus road. First, on the water I will never leave someone stranded and have towed many fellow fishermen back to the dock. A break down can happen to anyone and I think it's important we are all mindful of fellow boaters.

The road however is where I don't stop (I'd consider for an extreme emergency, but in general I wont stop). If someone is apparently in need I'll call the law for them but I'm not stopping. I was with my mom when I was a little boy and we were flagged by a "stranded" motorist who claimed to need a jump. Mom pulled around to help and long story short it was a trap. Two other men were hiding in the back seat of the "stranded car." Fortunately Mom sensed the danger, gunned it and we went to a safe stop and called the law. The Police told her to NEVER stop and help someone, rather call them and they will assist. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing the men in the stranded car jump out, close the hood and take off. Eerie and creepy to this day.

We were in a tournament years back and off in the distance we heard whooping and hollering and thought that someone was having a good time. After about 20 minutes or more we though - they can't be having that good of a time and went to investigate. By the time we got over there, we found a bass boat and only the nose was sticking up and two men in the water and their stuff was floating all over. We hooked a tow rope to the nose and were able to pull it to a nearby ramp. Never found out why it went down maybe broke a hose or whatever. Since no one was hurt we found the humor in it - but we need to help those in need or in danger.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Never had to be towed, but I've towed people several times. Nobody loves to fish better than me, but it comes in second to someone who needs help, tournament or no tournament.

I once sacrificed a tournament practice session to tow a TV lawyer and her family several miles to her pontoon slip. Lost a battle with my conscience on that one.
    I want my ashes sprinkled in the lake...might as well try to get em to bite one last time.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parch07 View Post
    Let me propose a different point of view: water versus road. First, on the water I will never leave someone stranded and have towed many fellow fishermen back to the dock. A break down can happen to anyone and I think it's important we are all mindful of fellow boaters.

The road however is where I don't stop (I'd consider for an extreme emergency, but in general I wont stop). If someone is apparently in need I'll call the law for them but I'm not stopping. I was with my mom when I was a little boy and we were flagged by a "stranded" motorist who claimed to need a jump. Mom pulled around to help and long story short it was a trap. Two other men were hiding in the back seat of the "stranded car." Fortunately Mom sensed the danger, gunned it and we went to a safe stop and called the law. The Police told her to NEVER stop and help someone, rather call them and they will assist. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing the men in the stranded car jump out, close the hood and take off. Eerie and creepy to this day.
    I had a friend who stopped on the highway in the same situation you are speaking of. He wasn't so lucky and they almost beat him to death. Stole everything he had on him plus his truck and he spent some time in the hospital.

20. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I've always offered assistance. And I'm an avid reader of manuals, never seen a restriction on towing related to an outboard.
    Not sure how they could even toss it into a warranty due to skiing, law enforcement, tow vessels and maritime law requirements.
    All we can do is lead our own lives and do the right thing whenever possible. It's very good to help others in time of need.
    My question is, even if they did put it in a warranty, how would they enforce it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast