Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the main types of music do you play

I am more the old school rock Metallica, AC/DC, and like some older such as Zepplin and Credence
    love country music also but don't play it as much if hardly at all

Most anything I can fumble through that sounds good.. I really like playing southern rock and my terrible attempts at flatpicking

3. Member
    Whatever will earn some $$$!

I've played in country bands, big $$$ there for a 3 night weekend. Rock cover bands playing classic rock, the whole grunge thing in the 90's, hair bands, even Jazz. Tried to do the original thing to become a big rock star, had an incredible guitar player that could not read a lick of music, picked it all up by ear.

Haven't been playing with anyone for the past 10 years, just drumming by myself enough to keep the rust off. One of my sons decided to switch from trumpet to percussion and I have been teaching him to play the set. I might see about doing a wedding band thing once the kids get out of the house in a few years, did one from 92 - 95 and always made good coin.

Back in my band days ( lead guitar ) it was anything from the 70's to current. But I like jamming to 80's tunes.
    Darrall Dougherty

I like older country music the best

I'd say a little bit of everything aside from country music. Nothing against country but it's a style I've never played. And from some of the stuff I've seen it's pretty darn tough to play. I'd say anything from kinda jazzy to full on death metal. I really like stuff with odd times and complex rythyms. Tool comes to mind for the odd time weird stuff. I'd say my 2 biggest influences growing up were Lars Ulrich and Chad Sexton who is one of the most incredible to watch live. I marched Snare drum all 4 years of high school and marched snare in the V.P. fair band for 2 years as well. The V.P. fair in St. Louis used to be a huge deal back in the 90's.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

7. Member
    Faster music...Offspring, Linkin Park, Led Zeppelin. That's what I prefer to listen to, so that's what I'm slowly learning to play. Now my 8 and 10 year old sons are learning too...both started with Linkin Park on an SG no less.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Classic Rock and Southern Rock mostly

9. Member
    I'm all over the map as far as styles of music (guitar and vocals). Blues, rock, country, contemporary and traditional) Christian, singer-songwriter stuff, just whatever suits my fancy. I've never ventured into metal, punk, grunge, etc. These days, I play almost exclusively acoustic guitar. I havea couple of electrics, but since I'm not gigging anymore, I rarely ever get them out of their cases.

Tom

10. Member
    Here's our song list for the 2019 South Dakota Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in April. As you can see a lot of horn music. I feel good is a revamped version of the James Brown song.

I feel good by James Brown
    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder
    Wake up Sunshine by Chicago
    Susan by the Buckinghams
    You got to Funkifize by Tower of Power
    25 0r 6 to 4 by Chicago
    What is Hip by Tower of Power
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

11. Member
    I dont even try anymore. I thought my love of music would help me pull it off, but I suck. lol I still listen to all kinds of music, but dont try to play much anymore

Banjo, self trained very tough but ok. Even a simple song like Wagon Wheel
    takes me weeks to pick. But I like bluegrass

13. Member
    Drummer by trade but also play guitar bass banjo mandolin keyboards. My mother was a music teacher lol.
    Dont gig any more but it was country country rock 95% of the time but did play in a few blues bands. Haven't touched a set of sticks in 5 years now probably 3 since I touched any other instruments.

14. Banned
    After growing up in Music City, USA, I seldom listen to much modern country music. I do like the old stuff, however. Gimme a little Teddy & Doyle.

I'm more into light jazz like Al Jarreau, Manhattan Transfer, Chris Botti, David Sanborn, etc.

But what I really listen to is talk radio--most all the time. A little Rush is music to my ears, especially in these terrible political times.

15. Member
    I like a little of everything on guitar, but love bluegrass & especially bluegrass gospel. I started learning 5 string banjo a couple weeks ago & for a beginner it’s going very good. Nothing else like Ralph Stanley to me. Glad to have this forum.

16. Member
    I like newer style bluegrass and bluegrass gospel a lot. I grew up playing southern rock and pop stuff. I’m no great musician but I like acoustic guitar and harmonica best. I love my tenor guitars most of all. I’ll play some keyboards and in a tight I have played drums. I suck bad at drums though. LOL. Was a time all I played was mandolin.

17. Member
    I “try” to play old school death metal. Death, obituary, morbid angle, etc.

18. Member
    I play Bluegrass.

19. Member
    I am a guitar player and still rocking with my Les Paul and Marshall amp. Started playing in my early teens. Grew up as a die hard kiss fanatic. Was in a pretty good band until my early 20s. Ace frehley is my guitar hero, I know he's not the greatest ever but he was what drove me. I learned his style early and tried to master and duplicate every guitar lick and solo he created. I love playing Classic stuff like Kiss , ACDC, Metallica, etc. Lately I am really getting into some more heavy stuff like mastadon, gojira etc.
    My friends laugh, " your in your 50s time to switch to classical" lol. I don't mind listening but don't want to play it.

20. Member
    [QUOTE=RH1;10072766]I am a guitar player and still rocking with my Les Paul and Marshall amp. Started playing in my early teens. Grew up as a die hard kiss fanatic. Was in a pretty good band until my early 20s. Ace frehley is my guitar hero, I know he's not the greatest ever but he was what drove me. I learned his style early and tried to master and duplicate every guitar lick and solo he created. I love playing Classic stuff like Kiss , ACDC, Metallica, etc. Lately I am really getting into some more heavy stuff like mastadon, gojira etc.
    My friends laugh, " your in your 50s time to switch to classical" lol. I don't mind listening but don't want to play it.[/QUOTE

Mastodon and gojira are great. Check out baroness they are similar to mastodon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast