Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

north fork composites x ray

looking to build a high end casting rod for jig fishing for smallmouth. i LOVE my st croix legend spinning rods, but just dont want to spend $280 on a casting rod that ill use a few months a year. is there a better blank out there for $85 shipped?

i was looking at the MB 736-1(X-Ray LMX)
    Last edited by JoshKeller; 12-17-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

2. Member
    Not sure but you need to man up and put away those sissy spinning rods.

Allen

3. Member
    Is there a better blank out there for $85 shipped? LOL uhhh ........... no!!!

I'd be surprised if there is a better blank out there, period. I am in the process of building a rod on the same blank you mentioned, for the very same purpose that you mentioned. It is other worldly sensitive, with an excellent back bone. I like the blank so much I ordered a second one. I received it last week. Sadly, it got broken in shipping. Thank you USPS. But, I am filing a claim with USPS and I will be ordering another one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    Not sure but you need to man up and put away those sissy spinning rods.

Allen
    arent you still running a glass boat and a prop, fishing those awesome spots like slackwater and 4 locks?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

5. Member
    At that price probably not. At full retail, for sure.

6. Member
    Wished I'd have seen this earlier. That was a smokin deal. Not calculating in the cart with a discount now

7. Member
    Bronzeback, after reading your post earlier this afternoon I went to the website and found the same thing that you mentioned. The discount wasn't auto calculating at check out. I just came from the site and it is now auto calculating the discount. I just ordered another one of the X ray blanks.

Must have been a glitch in the web site earlier.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    Is there a better blank out there for $85 shipped? LOL uhhh ........... no!!!

I'd be surprised if there is a better blank out there, period. I am in the process of building a rod on the same blank you mentioned, for the very same purpose that you mentioned. It is other worldly sensitive, with an excellent back bone. I like the blank so much I ordered a second one. I received it last week. Sadly, it got broken in shipping. Thank you USPS. But, I am filing a claim with USPS and I will be ordering another one.
    do you have the blank? is the butt truely .49 or is it a typo and i ordered the wrong size grip set?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

9. Member
    The price is so good I want to order more but I havent received the order I placed 5 weeks ago yet so hesitant to place a second order.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    do you have the blank? is the butt truely .49 or is it a typo and i ordered the wrong size grip set?
    Yes I do, and yes the .49 on the web site is a typo. The blank I have in hand measures .591.

I'm curious? What kind of grip is it that you wouldn't ream the grip to fit?

Also if you're curious, I used a tip top with a 4.5 tube. I sanded the entire blank to remove the ridges, and I had to sand the tip a slight bit more to get the 4.5 tube to fit.

11. Member
    i used the pre assembled winn grip. kind of pisses me off i havr to order another grip because of their typo. im going to gibe them 3 weeks (as stated on their site) to give me a ship confirm before i despute the charge on my credit card. i feel 3 weeks to ship a product is a very fair act on my part, especially since i now have to order another grip.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

12. Member
    NFC is not timely, have waited a 5-6 weeks to receive a blank and other time 3 weeks like the site states. Promptness is not a major quality in their shipping department, it will come just don’t expect a quick turnaround. Why can’t u ream out the winn grips, I do all the time rods. 90% of my rods are built with Winn grips, all have to be reamed to fit correctly don’t think I have ever used any grip that slide on into place.

13. Member
    this is a preassembled grip - its already assembled onto a carbon tube that gets epoxied to the blank.

http://www.mudhole.com/Winn-Rod-Handle-System
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

14. Member
    Why not make a series of small arbors?

15. Member
    how would i do that if the grip tube is too small for the rod blank?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

16. Member
    wow.... have never seen that. But then again I'm not a Winn grip fan. Seems kind of limiting. Pretty much stuck putting the reel seat at a certain spot. No offense, but it wouldn't be my choice.

17. Member
    i did go ahead and order a traditional setup with seperate reel seat, mid grip, butt grip and front winding check. it was actually the same price as the kit, so im ok with that. This is the first rod ive built with components ive put together myself, do these seem to be compatible?

http://www.mudhole.com/Fuji-ACS-Trigger-Reel-Seat

http://www.mudhole.com/Winn-Casting-Swell-Grip-4

http://www.mudhole.com/Winn-Casting-Swell-Butt-Grip-25

http://www.mudhole.com/Winn-Winding-Checks
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

18. Member
    Josh, I didn't mean the one piece grip you had ordered wouldn't work, if it puts the reel seat where you want it, it would work fine were it the right ID. As far as that goes, you may be able to give Mud Hole a call and explain the discrepancy in the measurements of the blank, and they might let you exchange it. Were it not a clearance item I am almost certain that you could. Only one way to find out though. Personally I like individual parts grips because I can choose where on the blank I want the reel seat to be, and fit the grip pieces based on that.

As far as what you ordered, with reaming and maybe, if needed, a little trimming of the tenon on rear grip, the grip pieces will be compatible with the rod blank. What may not be compatible, is the reel seat. The ACS's are a fit to the blank type of reel seat. Meaning their ID needs to match the area of the blank you want it to fit at. Without having the blank in hand, you'd have had to have someone measure the blank at a specific point.

What size seat did you order? As I mentioned in the PMs we exchanged, I am going with a 10" rear grip. I am using an ALPS MVT reel seat, the same type of seat as the ACS, and I needed a 13.5 mm seat to have the back of the reel seat land 10" from the butt. So depending on what size you ordered, it may or may not work for you.

19. Member
    i ordered the 16mm x 15mm inside diameter - i figured the butt of the rod was 15.3mm and it would get thinner as it went up the blank, and i was hoping i could beef up the blank with making tape if needed to get it to fit the 15mm seat.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

20. Member
    Hmmm, ok. Were it me I'd be on the phone to Mud Hole to find out if the order has shipped. If it hasn't, I'd be having them readjust the order, or maybe even better yet .... have them hold it until you receive the blank so you can measure it, and order the right sized components.

I mean you did say that if you don't have a shipping confirmation in 3 weeks, that you were going to cancel the order. So why even have them ship the parts, if you may decide to cancel the blank?

And it sounds like you're pretty new to rod building, and that is cool. We're all beginners at one point or another. If you're not sure about something, just put a post on here or on Rodbuidling.org, with any questions you may have. Lots of very helpful people with great info on both sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast