USA Mercury scan tool

I was in the boat business but had to shut down in 2004. I knew Mercury was updating to a new computer based diagnostic system and they sent me the latest and what they said was the last update for my scan tool which was ver. 4.1. shortly after I shut down my business and put all my parts and tools in storage. I still work on a few boats for some of my older customers that are still running their pre 2004 year model boats. Lately I have been seeing a few later model engines showing up that need work. I have a 2007 200 hp Optimax sn. 1B505533 that is sick and need some TLC.

Not knowing if it would work on the late year model I hooked up my scan tool to get an idea of what it may have gone through but it couldn't read the ECM. What I'm asking is will the scan tool even work on these engines? I have heard that they did do a couple later update cartridge but I wasn't a Mercury dealer then. Can someone please give me the straight skinny on the absolute limits of the old Mercury DDT. I know there are other options out there but didn't really want to go that route right now if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Last cartridge made (Smartcraft) supported through 2006. While you may access some later engines with it, functionality could be limited.

Make sure you're using the SMARTCRAFT cartridge. Not the earlier one used for earlier EFI/Optimax.

For a situation such as yours, Diacom (by Rinda) is probably an option to consider.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Last cartridge made (Smartcraft) supported through 2006. While you may access some later engines with it, functionality could be limited.

Make sure you're using the SMARTCRAFT cartridge. Not the earlier one used for earlier EFI/Optimax.

For a situation such as yours, Diacom (by Rinda) is probably an option to consider.
    Would that be the Smartcraft ver. 1.3, I think it is? I don't have it here with me right now. And yes I have been looking into a couple different options I just have to decide if it is worth the investment. I do still like to work on these great engines but it gets to a point where you have to look at when the break even point may come. I spent a lot of money buying the latest and the greatest test equipment for Mercury engines, not to mention, Volvo, OMC and Yamaha, that is packed away in a box because it's outdated. Thanks for your help and information I really appreciate it.

4. Member
    yes 1.31/ pn 91- 880118a04/nla
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks, Joe... didn't have much with me at the time (filed most away long ago).

You SHOULD be able to at least view the data, Run and Freeze Frame, etc. with that cartridge. Been a decade or so since I've used a DDT, but I did keep one for lake work until I got a field-laptop system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mx842 View Post
    Would that be the Smartcraft ver. 1.3, I think it is? I don't have it here with me right now. And yes I have been looking into a couple different options I just have to decide if it is worth the investment. I do still like to work on these great engines but it gets to a point where you have to look at when the break even point may come. I spent a lot of money buying the latest and the greatest test equipment for Mercury engines, not to mention, Volvo, OMC and Yamaha, that is packed away in a box because it's outdated. Thanks for your help and information I really appreciate it.
    That scan equipment that is outdated and stuffed away could be very profitable for you. Still a lot of folks running EFI's and early Optimaxes that would jump at the chance to have some diagnostic equipment. It usually only lasts a couple of hours on Ebay or various forums.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    That scan equipment that is outdated and stuffed away could be very profitable for you. Still a lot of folks running EFI's and early Optimaxes that would jump at the chance to have some diagnostic equipment. It usually only lasts a couple of hours on Ebay or various forums.
    When I first closed up my business I tried to sell all my inventory, tools and used parts I had piled up over the past 25 years. The best offer I got on my hard parts inventory roughly $45,000.00 was $1400.00. one guy wanted all my special tools for Mercury, Yamaha and OMC and he was willing to take it off my hands for $500.00. After I quit laughing I politely asked him to take a hike and forget my phone number. I tried e-bay and it cost me money for what I got out of it. I did sell a few parts on Craigs list but not enough to justify the time.

I haven't tried to move any of that stuff for years and one day if I can find the time I may try to move it and recoup some of my money. When I tried to sell it before gas was getting up to near $5.00 a gallon and a lot of people couldn't even use their boats and a lot of the smaller dealers and repair shops were falling like flies. Then of-course the ones that survived were all looking for a real deal.

I worked for years building up my parts inventory and keeping the shop up to Mercury spec with hopes of one day either passing it on to one of my sons or selling it for my retirement but I could't hold on any longer because everything got so tight, I couldn't hardly give a boat away. I was selling a lot of boats but when people tried to get financed 90% of them got turned down and these same people a year earlier would have had no problem getting the money. Then with sitting on $3800.00 a month floor plan on boats and motors that we couldn't move, things came to a halt in a hurry.

As I said before I still work on a few boats and up til now haven't had much trouble getting things done because most of my customers have older engines that are mostly carb and a few EFI's but I have a few customers that have Opti Max engines that they have been upgrading from the older stuff. I knew it would come a time that I would have to upgrade or just hang up my tool bag and call it quits.