Compression Test Question

What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing a compression check with the motor cold vs hot? Should I always do it with the motor hot? Do you all always remove the fuse for the fuel system for safety purposes? Any other tricks, tips, things to look for when doing the test? TIA
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    3L engines are a couple more down the forum list. See the FAQ Section there- read the post on "Compression Testing".

Engine must be up to temp so that components have expanded to their "running engine tolerances".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Patrick, when you post in the 3L forum, it would probably be very beneficial to you if you were to let Don and the experts know exactly WHY you are seeking this information, (I'm referring to the additional info you provided in "the lounge"). Also, be sure to provide them with your engine S/N
    I'd Rather be Fishing