Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeric79 View Post
    Thanks Wayne you made my night. That is one of the best movies ever. However, I feel like I got a.............. "Missouri Boat Ride"
    Great movie! So many life lessons expressed!

2. Banned
    Yes, the traction pad was from Ranger and it was pre-cut. It also comes adhesive backed so it's like a giant sticker.
    Nice thx... wonder if I can get for my z118

Excellent work...just saddens me that you had to do it. Absolutely no excuse on Rangers part. I hope you documented how your "new" hull arrived.

Now I know why I hear the post JM Ranger comments. I will say my 07 Z21 came with 7 rubrail screws missing (in a row) compartment lighting wire cut, other smaller issues. My 16 has been pretty flawless, and I was in a 2019 Z521L recently that ws flawless as well.

Do you think your issues were new model related? Not that its any excuse at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Excellent work...just saddens me that you had to do it. Absolutely no excuse on Rangers part. I hope you documented how your "new" hull arrived.

Now I know why I hear the post JM Ranger comments. I will say my 07 Z21 came with 7 rubrail screws missing (in a row) compartment lighting wire cut, other smaller issues. My 16 has been pretty flawless, and I was in a 2019 Z521L recently that ws flawless as well.

Do you think your issues were new model related? Not that its any excuse at all.
    The first boat built in early 2016, and the second boat built in march of 2018 appear to be exactly the same. From what I can tell, there were no improvements and or design changes made between the two boats. Keep in mind the problems I've had with both boats and especially the second boat, should have been flagged at the factory..........they clearly were not. Bottom line.......... Ranger got a second chance to build their flagship model and could not pull it off......maybe that's part of the reason the model only lasted 2 years.

You are right Dean..........No excuse at all!

5. Banned
    That sucks but boy do you ever do nice work.....

Did you consider using fiberglass stiffeners instead of bolting the aluminum to the gas tank cover? I would think you could glass in a honeycomb pattern and add some substantial stiffness even over the aluminum angle method you used.

My 2016 has the same squeaky floor issue since day 1. That being said, it doesn't bother me enough to tear into my boat this deep.

Also, on the seat mounts, do the "upgraded seat slides" eliminate the wabbly seat phenomena the Z522D has, where the seat will wabble a little running down the lake if it is empty?

Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    Did you consider using fiberglass stiffeners instead of bolting the aluminum to the gas tank cover? I would think you could glass in a honeycomb pattern and add some substantial stiffness even over the aluminum angle method you used.

My 2016 has the same squeaky floor issue since day 1. That being said, it doesn't bother me enough to tear into my boat this deep.

Also, on the seat mounts, do the "upgraded seat slides" eliminate the wabbly seat phenomena the Z522D has, where the seat will wabble a little running down the lake if it is empty?
    I never considered fiberglass reinforcement, but I think its a good idea, and for sure would work. I come from a metal working background so I usually try to solve my mechanical problems using a mill or lathe. Plus I had all the Aluminum material, machine screws and lock nuts in my shop, so that's what I went with.

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to tear into a rig to this degree. I have a new driver consul coming from Ranger since mine has numerous stress cracks in it. (Not looking forward to that project) I guess it's just a personal thing with me and this boat at this point. To have a floor on a boat that flexes and sounds like an 100 year old house, just wasn't something I could handle long term.

The "upgraded seat slides" were much tighter than the original ones but after running the newer ones all last season I could tell they were starting to get some "wabble" to them. I ended up positioning the seats on the slides where I wanted them and then locked them down. They are no longer adjustable, but all the side play or wabble has been eliminated. "Loose=Junk" to me. Just so you know, the new slides were 2.5" lower than the originals. That's why I built the risers. It was hard to see over the bow while planning with the new lower ones.

What's your top speed with that G2 ? I got the Yamaha and the best I can do with one person and fully loaded is 61.5
    Last edited by Rangeric79; 12-18-2018 at 06:45 PM.

What's your top speed with that G2 ? I got the Yamaha and the best I can do with one person and fully loaded is 61.5
    Top speed I have gotten with just me, full gas and equipment, empty livewells was 63.

9. Member
    For sure, that is the question of the year. Ranger had a second chance to build the "perfect boat" for me, and in my opinion failed by a long shot. I documented all the problems with the first boat and did numerous follow ups with the people at Ranger to make sure all the issues would be addressed when they built the new one. You would think they would take extra care to make sure the second boat was nice before it left the factory. Unfortunately it was far from it. It showed up with hydraulic oil sprayed all over the inside. About a bag of sunflower seeds spit all over the entire boat. The motor cowling was covered in what looked to be carpet glue, and badly scratched. The first compartment I opened, the handle came off in my hand......real funny. That is only the tip of the iceberg. My blood pressure is starting to reach unsafe levels. That's it for now.

Sunflower seeds that someone spit in your boat pretty much sums up the care in quality control. Inexcusable

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy1337 View Post
    Sunflower seeds that someone spit in your boat pretty much sums up the care in quality control. Inexcusable
    Totally agree A dealer here in NY had a couple new 520L Rangers on his lot last spring, so I took a look under the cover of each one. They were filthy, fiberglass dust and shavings all over the inside. I'm guessing a good dealer pretty much covers Ranger's ass for actually getting the boats presentable for sale.

11. Member
    Can you please post a list of materials and where purchased. I think this needs to be pinned at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by 4fishlips View Post
    Can you please post a list of materials and where purchased. I think this needs to be pinned at the top.
    I added a basic material list and were to purchase at the very beginning of this thread.

All I can think of is some disgruntled employees who probably have moved on to another shop. Not an excuse by any means but during that time frame alot of changeover was in the air. I can tell you they have a quality control person at most stations now so hoping this doesnt happen again. You would have thought they would have sent you the perfect boat but guess not.
    I would have sent the second one back also. What a PITA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    All I can think of is some disgruntled employees who probably have moved on to another shop. Not an excuse by any means but during that time frame alot of changeover was in the air. I can tell you they have a quality control person at most stations now so hoping this doesnt happen again. You would have thought they would have sent you the perfect boat but guess not.
    I would have sent the second one back also. What a PITA!!!
    I think that it is important to note that this is not a quality issue, but a design issue. The boat is designed this way. All the Z522D's have the same squeaky floor. Not sure if that reflects any better or worse on Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    I think that it is important to note that this is not a quality issue, but a design issue. The boat is designed this way. All the Z522D's have the same squeaky floor. Not sure if that reflects any better or worse on Ranger.
    Good point. The problems I have encountered with this boat fall into two categories: Design issues & Quality issues.

1.) Design: The entire boat except for the floor, and the seat slides, is built solid like you would expect from Ranger. I don't know why Ranger would not reinforce the gas tank cover at the factory before production. Especially since some of the 600 series boats apparently have had some of the same issues with their floors.

2.) Quality: The boat and trailer wiring that looks like spaghetti, loose screws and hatch covers, Ranger logos and emblems missing, just to mention a few items, in my opinion are, simply someone just not paying attention to detail on the assembly floor at the factory. Those types of mistakes are easily avoidable, and have to be costing Ranger $$$$ after the sale of the boat. Maybe it's already factored into the $60,000- $75,000 price of a Ranger boat.....Who knows.

16. mikesxpress
    Great repair documentation on the JM Nitranger. After the delivery of a replacement boat in April 2018 I wouldn't have touched it in the condition noted. Johnny Wad crew would be picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Great repair documentation on the JM Nitranger. After the delivery of a replacement boat in April 2018 I wouldn't have touched it in the condition noted. Johnny Wad crew would be picking it up.

Believe me, I seriously considered sending it back, but after waiting 6 months for the second boat to arrive, I decided to keep it and not miss the entire 2018 fishing season here in NY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12