Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Torque Master Lower Unit Application

Hey Guys,

got a couple of quick questions, I have a 2012 200 pro xs and I am in need a lower unit,
    a buddy has a brand new Torque Master lower unit, the grey one, it has the same gear ratio as mine, (mine is the regular black lower unit)

I am told it will work on my motor, is this correct, and

I was wondering if I will notice any difference in performance?

thanks in advance.......

2. Member
    If the lower unit is a Generation 2 Torquemaster (AKA Wingmaster), then the answer is No.

No as in it won't fit, or no as in no perf difference

Last edited by mpino; 12-17-2018 at 09:30 AM.

4. Member
    See replies #13 and 15 in this topic - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=23727
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpino View Post
    No as in it won't fit, or no as in no perf difference

NO......Not allowed per Mercury Bulletin......Big Safety issue!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the REQUIRED info with your post. Thanks!

It is absolutely impossible to accurately answer your questions without it!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

sorry, it's been awhile since I posted,

my engine serial no. 1B884959
    engine model no. 1200P73EY

the torquemaster serial no. 8M0080099

safety issue? what do you mean, will it grenade?

as far as I can tell, it looks like it will line up perfectly, has anyone done this, or is it pointless because the performance on a 200hp is not enough to warrant using this gearcase.

basically, I got a chance to buy this gearcase for less money than the cost of my stock lower unit. just wondering if worth it for me to buy it and put it on, or am I wasting my money.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your engine uses a Verado-Style (Service) Gearcase, not a Torquemaster.

The below picture shows a brand-new Gen-2 Torquemaster, and the warning label that is affixed to it (this is in addition to the previously mentioned Service Bulletin):

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Unfortunately they do make grey gen ones that would work that looks like a gen two that won't. Also known as the wing master because of the wing looking thing on the leading edge.

sorry I don't understand this, 1st question is: will this unit bolt up to my motor, and will it spin it properly, the hole thing about kicking up the motor, don't that happen to all motors when you hit an object?

and other than the cost, would this unit not perform the same as my verado gearcase, or in the sense of physical appearance, it looks to be alot stronger built than my verado gearcase.

Mercury clearly states it is neither suitable nor safe on your motor. Whether it fits or not is irrelevant.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 12-19-2018 at 07:50 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Even if it did performance would be way off really can't beat a Verodo style I just put a gen one on my boat and if it goes again I'm putting a Verodo. Research the wingmaster and you will find they cane out with them when they had to de-tune the motors. They require a lot of set up if I remember correctly like 12 inches of set back etc. there a lot of peaple on this site way way smarter than I they know what can and can't.

14. Banned
    Hold my beer! I'm going to do it anyway....warning label is just to make the attorneys happy....

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Hold my beer! I'm going to do it anyway....warning label is just to make the attorneys happy....
    Honestly this isn't a laughing matter. I can assure you that a warning label of that magnitude is not printed and added without some serious consideration.

They've even gone to the trouble to let you know EXACTLY what will happen.

16. Member
    I'm not trying to perpetuate this thread, but just wondering why this is different than an impact with a verado or gen 1 lower.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Honestly this isn't a laughing matter. I can assure you that a warning label of that magnitude is not printed and added without some serious consideration.

They've even gone to the trouble to let you know EXACTLY what will happen.
    Yes, I thought it was pretty specific, but there will always be those that do not believe that applies to them.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    I'm not trying to perpetuate this thread, but just wondering why this is different than an impact with a verado or gen 1 lower.
    I don't see how they come up with the idea this Gen 2 case would have any different affect when hitting bottom or impact with a log at 60 mph then any other lower unit. Please show me scientific proof this Gen2 case impacts objects in a different way than a Gen 1.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

19. Member
    Mercury is unlikely to share their data on the subject. My guess is it has to do with the shape of the leading edge and overall design of the Gen 2 gearcase. The TM Gen 2 is much more expensive than the verado gearcase, so Mercury is actually losing money saying that it isn't safe to install the Gen 2 on a motor without the blue cap on the trim cylinder. That makes me think they have a very legitimate reason, and I wouldn't recommend ignoring their warning.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

20. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    After reading that warning that Mercury places on Gen 2 TorqueMasters...what prevents the end user from purchasing a blue cap, installing it, then installing the new lower unit?

Is the cap a different size to prevent this, or is the blue cap some kind of pressure relief cap that will blow off with excessive pressure? I've never tried it.

I'm writing this as a "what if" type of question. I understand that there are some differences internally in the pump and swing arm assembly on a Gen 1 vs. Gen 2.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast