Renegade vs Trophy

I am currently running a 27 Renegade Bass on my Allison XB 2003 with a 150 Johnson Fast Strike, 10 inch T.H. manual jack plate (70.8 at about 5500 rpm). I am still learning to drive the boat however I have heard that raising the motor up closer to 1/2" or 1/4" below the pad will make it a lot easier to drive (when I bought it the prop was 6.5" below the pad and crazy hard to drive). Anyway, I finally got my nose cone installed so that I could raise the motor without losing water pressure. I moved the motor up to 1/2" below and I couldn't hardly get the boat up on the pad. Dropped it back to 3" below and it drove like it had been. I haven't had time to raise it a little at a time and keep testing but I have since read that the Renegade doesn't like to run surfaced.

I'm not as concerned about absolute top-end speed right now because I still do not have the skill to get it there but I would like to move the motor a little higher if I could, I have noticed every time I have brought it up the boat has driven easier. My question is would a Trophy prop run better in this application without being worked?

2. Member
    I don't know what you think it should run but 70 at 5500 with 1.86 gears and a 27" prop is right on the money.

3. Member
    I feel good about the speed, I am still learning to drive with the chinewalk... a lot different than all the boats I grew up in for sure. Every time I've tried stringing it out there has been more there but I have to trim down and get out of it due to the chinewalk. That's why I was wondering if the Trophy might run higher because I've been told by several people this boat does not like dragging a gearcase around in the water, I'm sure a more talented driver could handle it no problem but I am just trying to make it easier on myself if possible.

4. Member
    If you run a Trophy too high it will throw a blade so you have to be careful.

5. Member
    Thanks, I didn’t know that, doesn’t sound fun for sure. Guess if I get one I should really watch that and monitor for it.

6. Member
    Check with some of the guys on the Allison page about the right prop.

Do yourself a favor and get someone (that knows how to drive) take you out in your boat. He can show you how to prevent chine walking before it starts.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastman151 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get someone (that knows how to drive) take you out in your boat. He can show you how to prevent chine walking before it starts.
    I've been too busy chasing ducks and deer lately but I think that is my next step. I have hours of drivetime in it now and can definitly drive it better than when I started but it has been frustrating trying to get to master it... I'll think I have it then lose it and it gets a little nerve wracking quick.

9. Member
    With those type hulls trim up in smaller amounts. Let the motor max out on speed at that setting then another tap . Your riding on a lot smaller pad so you need to keep balanced up like a bike going down a chat hill at 70 . If you fail to drive the bike going down a chat hill at 70 what do you think will happen .

10. Member
    That is amazing running a 27" Renegade on a 150 Fast Strike. Compared to my heavy '96 Stratos 201 I run a 23" Renegade running 5300-5400 rpms on my 150.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB