Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorguide xi5???

I've been really on the fence mainly due to the expense of the MG Xi5 and the allegations concerning the responsiveness of the foot pedal. Online reviews claim the wireless pedal is overly sensitive and spazzes to say the least from the slightest pressure. How accurate are the reviews that claim the motors wireless foot pedal is not ideal for largemouth chasing?? I'll admit the features of the unit still intrigues me. I run lowrance units and honestly all the gps functionality and compatibility does not really excite me as does the motors anchor mode lock. How wonderful or overrated is this feature? How does this MG xi5 compare to the MK ultrex in functionality? I'm leaning on the fence. Is either of these trolling motors worth the expense

Bryan

2. Member
    Did I not follow protocol in my post... I'm getting quite a few of views yet no one cares to offer any advice

Bryan J Smith

3. Member
    I HAD AN Xi5 AND WISHED I HAD GOTTEN A MINN KOTA. I SPEND A GOOD BIT OF TIME FISHING FOR CRITTERS BESIDES LARGEMOUTH. THE MK LOOKS LIKE IT ALOWS A LITTLE BETTER CONTROL. YOU HEARD RIGHT. IT WAS LESS THAN IDEAL FOR YOUR NORMAL BASS FISHING WHERE YOU ARE WORKING YOU WAY DOWN A BANK OR AROUND A POINT. HAVEN'T TRIED THE MK YET SO I CAN'T COMPARE. THE "ANCHOR" OR "SPOT LOCK" IS BETTER THAN YOU THINK.

4. Member
    I got an Xi5 from another member on here used a couple of months ago and I have to say so far I love it, the foot pedal is a little different.. and is taking a little getting used to but I love it being wireless my front deck is wide open now.. the only issue I can see is maybe working in tight areas (a lot of stumps or docks) it might get a little tricky.. the main difference I see with the footpedal it that when you push it it turns the motor at the same speed no matter how hard you press the pedal.. we all got use to the gradual increase in turn speed as you press harder.. now all it takes is a touch to turn the motor.. I read on here that a lot of guys just do away with the pedal and use the remote.. either way for me it was well worth the money saved.. I have not linked it to my lowrance yet so I cant speak to that.. I am happy with it so far though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twohands25 View Post
    I HAD AN Xi5 AND WISHED I HAD GOTTEN A MINN KOTA. I SPEND A GOOD BIT OF TIME FISHING FOR CRITTERS BESIDES LARGEMOUTH. THE MK LOOKS LIKE IT ALOWS A LITTLE BETTER CONTROL. YOU HEARD RIGHT. IT WAS LESS THAN IDEAL FOR YOUR NORMAL BASS FISHING WHERE YOU ARE WORKING YOU WAY DOWN A BANK OR AROUND A POINT. HAVEN'T TRIED THE MK YET SO I CAN'T COMPARE. THE "ANCHOR" OR "SPOT LOCK" IS BETTER THAN YOU THINK.
    Thanks for the response!! I noticed you said "you had" a xi5, wasn't ideal enough? But thats valuable info I appreciate it

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I got an Xi5 from another member on here used a couple of months ago and I have to say so far I love it, the foot pedal is a little different.. and is taking a little getting used to but I love it being wireless my front deck is wide open now.. the only issue I can see is maybe working in tight areas (a lot of stumps or docks) it might get a little tricky.. the main difference I see with the footpedal it that when you push it it turns the motor at the same speed no matter how hard you press the pedal.. we all got use to the gradual increase in turn speed as you press harder.. now all it takes is a touch to turn the motor.. I read on here that a lot of guys just do away with the pedal and use the remote.. either way for me it was well worth the money saved.. I have not linked it to my lowrance yet so I cant speak to that.. I am happy with it so far though.
    I'm happy your experience is meeting expectations but that functionality in maneuverability as a tournament angler... Appreciate your response that was indeed helpful!!

7. Member
    It is different but you get used to it after a few trips. You want to tap the pedal or put pressure on it for a small amount of time it moves quick. Tap tap with your toe instead of putting your weigh on it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umgettinbetta View Post
    I'm happy your experience is meeting expectations but that functionality in maneuverability as a tournament angler... Appreciate your response that was indeed helpful!!
    I am a tournament angler.. and i probably misspoke in m previous post.. right now i may have an issue in tight quarters (stumps or docks) but i think as I get more used to the pedal, it wont be an issue..

I have a friend with an Xi5 and it works well for him but he spends 90% of his time off shore. I fished with him several times trying to flip brush and docks and was never happy when trying to setup on a spot and work it. I just did not have the responsiveness and boat control I was accustomed to.
    I felt that an Ultrex would give me the same responsiveness as cable steer and this was confirmed when my Tournament partner bought one. After several tournaments, I hated to go back to my MK Maxxum.
    So I saved up and bought an Ultrex and am glad I spent the extra money.
    The spot lock is even more incredible than I thought and I use the iPilot feature more than I expected. I like being freed up from the TM pedal so I can stand more comfortably on the deck and get better casting positions.
    A few weeks ago I was trying to drag a jig through a large brush pile off the end of a dock in about 20 feet of water. The wind was screaming right into the dock and I could not keep the boat in position. I pointed the boat into the wind, pulled out in front of the dock and engaged spot lock. I walked to the back of the boat with the wind to my back and fished the spot comfortably.
    Both motors are equal in features, the only difference is the Ultrex has the responsiveness of cable steer when you need or want it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    I have had an Xi5 for over 2 years with no problems. I do not use the foot pedal at all, I only use the FOB, I never could operate a foot control wire TM before. Once you get used to the FOB you will not use the foot pedal, mine i not in boat. In regards to stumps, trees, bushes, I have no problem and of course I enjoy the anchor mode and the ease of use with my Lowrance units. You will enjoy.

The pedal is just a left right bump switch not proportional. If I'm running a bank I just use the auto pilot for speed and bump the pedal if I need a direction change, The anchor lock makes the sub par pedal worth it. Using mine for the last 4 years and have no complaints except for the springs in the pedal breaking.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umgettinbetta View Post
    I've been really on the fence mainly due to the expense of the MG Xi5 and the allegations concerning the responsiveness of the foot pedal. Online reviews claim the wireless pedal is overly sensitive and spazzes to say the least from the slightest pressure. How accurate are the reviews that claim the motors wireless foot pedal is not ideal for largemouth chasing?? I'll admit the features of the unit still intrigues me. I run lowrance units and honestly all the gps functionality and compatibility does not really excite me as does the motors anchor mode lock. How wonderful or overrated is this feature? How does this MG xi5 compare to the MK ultrex in functionality? I'm leaning on the fence. Is either of these trolling motors worth the expense

Bryan
    I've run this motor for 3 years, the anchor feature alone is worth the cost. The ability to touch a point, a drop off with fish, on your graph and have to motor turn and take you back on autopilot is also useful. It's a great motor, short of the pedal. I was fine with the electric steer of the older pinpoint system, I don't use the current pedal.. I mainly fish for walleye, great motor. Pure bass fisherman would probably find the poor foot control of pedal inadequate.
    It's been reliable, I fish every weekend, 6 months out of a year.

13. Member
    I am a pure bass fisherman that fishes mostly heavy grass and weed lines. My only gripe with the motor is the stow and deploy instead of liftin a cable you have to lift I the motor itself. I knew this when I bought it but it is still annoying when punching grass and the shaft has 30 pounds of grass around it and you have to clear the shaft and motor. The foot pedal which I use 90 percent of the time compared to the remote is a no issue to me.

Edit: Another gripe I can think of is not having a lit head to see direction in the dark.
    Last edited by Transom; 12-22-2018 at 12:55 PM.

I have had both. Currently own the ultrex, I love it. There were 2 things I hated about the xi5.
    1 the mount.....i hated deploying and stowing the motor. It also required a slide plate or adapter..... Pain in the ass.
    2 the pedal..... Can not drive without looking at the trolling motor.... Ultrex is like other cable trolling motors, can turn it and know where it pointing without looking down. That is a plus if you are a shore pounder going in and out of trees.
    Both hold spot equally.
    Ultrex has a gradual ramp up speed, motorguide does not.... If it is set to 10 hold on.
    Motorguide has 10 stored waypoint in remote, ultrex has 4 unless using link.
    Ultrex remote lcd screen= kickass..
    2019 nitro z19 with mercury 4 stroke 200hp.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonarandgps View Post
    I have had an Xi5 for over 2 years with no problems. I do not use the foot pedal at all, I only use the FOB, I never could operate a foot control wire TM before. Once you get used to the FOB you will not use the foot pedal, mine i not in boat. In regards to stumps, trees, bushes, I have no problem and of course I enjoy the anchor mode and the ease of use with my Lowrance units. You will enjoy.
    Same here but have been using Xi5 for over four years!! Will never be without one!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

I've had mine for 3 years. I like the pedal and use it with the remote every trip. It takes some getting used to but it's well worth it.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Got my first xi5 in 2014 and took some time to get used to it. Got a new boat this year and decided to put another xi5 on it. I use the pedal a lot and the remote. Not saying that xi5 doesn't have issues but it works well with Lowrance and is clutter free on my front deck. I also can run the TM from back deck with no wires or clutter. I dont know why you need all those wires and cables on a TM that has electro steer. It works for me.

Xi5 for me, foot pedal is different but I’m liking it now, it’s just a different way of making it work. It’s more of a push to turn then off pressure but maintaining the power switch for prop. I have used the Ultrex and it’s nice. But the fact it works with my Lowrance units is the deal for me. Also I have learn the feel on the pedal so I really don’t look at the head to see which way it’s going. I fish more tight to bank and around docks and it’s not that hard. Again it’s different and the Ultrex deploy is same as the cable foot controls, but the Xi5 is actually easier once you make it routine. I have a hand cable and did a plate out of starboard to raise it up and it looks factory. It was 2 inch thick starboard. And to be certain the Anchor mode holds better than Ultrex.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

19. Member
    Tons of great advice!! Appreciate all the input!! Will definitely use this info in my decision process

Bryan

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscia View Post
    I have had both. Currently own the ultrex, I love it. There were 2 things I hated about the xi5.
    1 the mount.....i hated deploying and stowing the motor. It also required a slide plate or adapter..... Pain in the ass.
    2 the pedal..... Can not drive without looking at the trolling motor.... Ultrex is like other cable trolling motors, can turn it and know where it pointing without looking down. That is a plus if you are a shore pounder going in and out of trees.
    Both hold spot equally.
    Ultrex has a gradual ramp up speed, motorguide does not.... If it is set to 10 hold on.
    Motorguide has 10 stored waypoint in remote, ultrex has 4 unless using link.
    Ultrex remote lcd screen= kickass..
    I also have had both. I agree with most of what jimscia says. I fish shallow structure and the over responsiveness of the pedal on the Xi5 and the need to look down to know direction were the biggest issues for me. I have cleaner boat control with the Ultrex. I solved the stow/deployment issue by adding the bike handle to the Xi5 and a slide mount on Starboard. I liked not having the cable because it really does clean up the front deck. Spot lock is virtually identical. If I had to give the mark to one I would give it to the Xi5. Something else that love about the Ultrex is the position of the spot lock button. I have a recessed pedal which made the button on the Xi5 unusable. The Ultrex has the button on top so when I hook up I can just hit the button with my foot and concentrate on landing the fish. All this said if I was an offshore guy I would go with the Xi5. Cheaper, works with Lowrance, slightly more powerful, and a slightly more reliable spot lock feature. For structure guys beating the bank where finite boat control is essential then Ultrex all the way.

One thing I forgot to add is that the remote on the Ultex times out and shuts off which frustrates me. I really only use it for the jog function so every time I want move over a few feet I have to wait for the remote to power up and connect to the TM and then jog. Hope is helps.
    Last edited by FishinDad; 12-25-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast